slightly confused

whatthehell

Reaction score
ok ive noticed lately that a lot of my hair has been falling out when shampooing and on the pillow etc, and i can see my scalp through the hair (if you know what i mean, i dont have any blad patched but my hair seems thinner)
i went to the Doctor who said its probably due to stress and not male pattern baldness because of the hair on the pillow, now im confused because although im only 20 and have no male pattern baldness in the family, im not really sure its through stress but the Doctor prescribed me nizoral and told me to lessen the stress?

how can i tell if its male pattern baldness or stress related?

G

whatthehell said:
how can i tell if its male pattern baldness or stress related?

Don't know dude, all I can say is that the way you describe your loss is diffuse male pattern baldness.

If its stress you would be able to answer your question yourself i.e. relationship problems, college or work issues, bereavement etc.

Distressed.

whatthehell

Reaction score
hmm well i have exams but i didnt have them a few months ago when this started?! besides im pretty chilled out all the time and nothing really stresses me!

so whats the difference between reguler male pattern baldness and diffuse male pattern baldness?

YoungAndThin

Established Member
Reaction score
I sort of have the same problem as you. I'm 20 and my hair started to thin alot the past couple months.

Mainly in the shower, while washing my hair and drying it off with a towel afterwards.

I'm a pretty laid back and relaxed kind of guy and I have honestly rarely ever felt any stress. I have very very little male pattern baldness in my family but it seems like it has chosen to hit me as well.

I think if you don't feel stress at all it is most likely male pattern baldness. male pattern baldness can skip a few generations then hit you.

arya

Established Member
Reaction score
whatthehell, I have exect same problem and situation as you and I am lossing hair from both side and back too. And i was under lots of stress for about 3/4 years. I was even planning to kill myself but now its kind of ok, but i am still lossing the hair. So i am kind of confused. Like some update on that one.

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i feel ya guys, no hairloss in my fam either. its almost worse to have this hit you when you really didn't think it would ever be an issue due to your family genes. diffuse as well here. there's seems to be a pattern with no family history, and diffuse thinning... hmm....

Solo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I´m another of those diffusers. I would like to know more about the difference of diffuse balding and standard balding, but everything I read is obscure.

whatthehell

Reaction score
god damn it, why!!!!!!!!!

oh well gotta accept it i guess, gonna start 1/6 proscar soon, im sill holding out little hope its still due to stress but i doubt it.

am i right in thinking the diffuse male pattern baldness people dont get a halo at the back of the head, ours just kinda get thinner generally everywhere?

jfrank

Established Member
Reaction score
carefull.. i used to be a diffuse thinner.... and all of a sudden (after starting propecia) BAMMM.. i started the norwood process... temple/hairline thinning/massive shedding..... sucks balls... and its not stopping..

arya

Established Member
Reaction score
jfrank said:
carefull.. i used to be a diffuse thinner.... and all of a sudden (after starting propecia) BAMMM.. i started the norwood process... temple/hairline thinning/massive shedding..... sucks balls... and its not stopping..

Ok, more confused and worried now :? :uglylol:

arya

Established Member
Reaction score
jfrank said:

OK, does it mean that, if some one is lossing hair because of stress(or some other reason), then talking propecia make things worse?????

Greg1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Agreed, arya. jfrank, your thought on this? Obviously if a treatment isn't working for you, opt to try something else. Don't beat your head against the wall for no reason.

arya

Established Member
Reaction score
Greg1 said:
Agreed, arya. .

I was in severe continues stress for 4 years or more ( I don’t want to tell my whole life story here). But for last 8/9 months it’s kind of ok , though I am still in a bit of stress. I think my hairloss could be the result of this stress (can’t be 100% sure though). I started taking propecia thinking that it could stop my hair loss and a peace of mind ( means I don’t have to deal with hairloss related stress since I already have enough). I am in third week on propecia.

Now should I stop taking propecia??? I don’t know what to do anymore. I don’t know what is good or bad for me. Any thought on that????

Greg1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ok arya, thanks for clearing that up:) Folks, I think that arya deserves a good and kind honest answer to his question.

G

3 weeks on propecia is not goign to make any difference in terms of your hair whether it is better or worse.

It won't make your hair any worse, I would carry on taking it for at least a year and review your progress.

Take photos on a monthly basis so you can follow your progress and make an accurate assessment Finasteride's work on your hair.

arya

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Yes neiltom88, u are right. I will keep using it, given that I don’t get any side effect. But recently, I am having bit funny fillings (may be slight pain) on my left breast. So, I am not sure how long I will be able to use it. Will this pain eventually go away. Or I should stop taking propecia right now?? I am worried about getting male gyno.

phil123

Reaction score
I am going through the same issues: thinning hair all over, itchy scalp, occasional acne on the back of my head. Mostly concerned with the thinning hair, although the other two mentioned probably have something to do with it.

Has anyone had any success with treating diffused male pattern baldness?? If so, what has worked & not worked, etc.??