Skull Expansion Theory Could Actually Be True?

Dhldan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I used to dismiss it as ridiculous & crazy before, but now that I think about it, my entire diffuse thinning and receding hairline on the left side has been noticeably more aggressive than the right side. I read a post abt the theory today and felt my scalp, the entire left side is more flat and bony whereas the right side of my scalp is significantly less bony & tight. I can feel more fat or tissue on the right compared to the left where there’s virtually nothing to pinch.

If this really is the case then would it make hair loss incurable?

I can’t answer any of ur questions or refute anyone’s points to disprove me. It’s just something I’ve noticed today.

verne2k

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
skull expansion no, but calcification/fibrosis maybe. but nobody tried to tackle that problem seriously so we don't know

Koupka

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, that's true, there was a study about the hairline receding not at the same pace, usualy one side more aggressively than the other.
This could be easely explain by the shape of the scull which isn't perfectly round, we usualy have the head somewhat flatter on one side than the other, probaly due to the fact that when we are baby the scull bones are still shapeable, and pression from the pillow for exemple could shape the head.
Also in the light of scalp tension theory, these differences in regression of the hairline could be easely explained.
Remember, there was several pilot studies which were using botox to atrophiate the galea muscles that appeared successful in hair regrowth.

Dhldan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Crunch out that fibrosis my dude and you get full regrowth, it's as simple as that.

Hanging upside down while doing it will have hair growing out of every follicle at a rate of knotts
So would one be able to achieve this by microneedling? Or would it be a intense scalp massage? Microneedling is such a pain for diffuse thinners.

Naja

My Regimen
Reaction score
This theory has never worked in my mind due to the fact that males and females have a different pattern/presentation of hair loss. I inherited this disease from my father who went bald in the classic Male pattern, and I have diffuse thinning in the female pattern. Male and female head shapes are not different (to my knowledge) so this purely mechanical theory doesn't make sense to me with the current knowledge available.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
This theory has never worked in my mind due to the fact that males and females have a different pattern/presentation of hair loss. I inherited this disease from my father who went bald in the classic Male pattern, and I have diffuse thinning in the female pattern. Male and female head shapes are not different (to my knowledge) so this purely mechanical theory doesn't make sense to me with the current knowledge available.
+1

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
Females have smaller frames and skulls in general. Androgens do make men bigger as they were the ones who needed to fought

Attachments

• 9975498e88b68ca0cf0fafd2985d664c.jpg
    9975498e88b68ca0cf0fafd2985d664c.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 207

Unacknowledged

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

its not the cause alone. none of it is. its multiple factors leading to hairloss. genetiscs, skull shape, fibrosis over time. hormones like dht, test, estrogen.

all those together are creating hair problems.

it seems like i fixed my fibrosis problem. i no longer hear my skin crunch on top of my head. This seems to halt my hairloss.

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The entire concept of fibrosis being a 'barrier" is wrong.

Researchers have transplanted balded follicles onto immune-suppressed mice and the follicle re-enlarges. The hair shaft shoves the fibrosis right out of the way as it comes out. It's no problem at all.

Our problem is hormonal & cellular. It's not physical.

S Foote.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The entire concept of fibrosis being a 'barrier" is wrong.

Researchers have transplanted balded follicles onto immune-suppressed mice and the follicle re-enlarges. The hair shaft shoves the fibrosis right out of the way as it comes out. It's no problem at all.

Our problem is hormonal & cellular. It's not physical.

I contacted one of the authors of that study for more information some time ago. There were two big differences in this study to the normal transplantation procedure in Humans. First the balding Human samples had all the tissue removed from them. There was no fibrotic tissue attached to them when transplanted. Secondly, one feature of immune deficient mice is they don't develop scar tissue (fibrosis) upon healing.

Very clearly the lack of any fibrosis played a role in the re-enlargement of the follicles.

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm talking about the fibrosis that develops inside the follicle from AA. Any follicle that has been shut down for more than a year or two develops it. People on hair loss forums are always getting fixated on that issue. IMO it's not relevant. If the follicle is in any condition to produce terminal hairs then that fibrosis won't stop it.

Milkonos

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Check out, Cluam Sutherland on google. Man transitioning to women. Getting forehead reduced and whatnot

Nostro100

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I suggest everyone to read this article. It poses deep and straight to the point questions about hairloss like; What causes DHT to increase in androgenic alopecia-prone tissues? By which mechanisms does DHT miniaturize androgenic alopecia-prone hair follicles? Why is DHT also associated with hair growth in secondary body and facial hair? Why does castration (which decreases androgen production by 95%) stop pattern hair loss, but not fully reverse it? Is there a relationship between DHT and tissue remodeling observed alongside androgenic alopecia onset?

it also talks about "chronic scalp tension" so it follows the subject of this thread

Last edited:

Nostro100

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm talking about the fibrosis that develops inside the follicle from AA. Any follicle that has been shut down for more than a year or two develops it. People on hair loss forums are always getting fixated on that issue. IMO it's not relevant. If the follicle is in any condition to produce terminal hairs then that fibrosis won't stop it.
So you are saying fibrosis is just a consequence of hairloss? No one can be sure about that.
I like to look at the extremes to know what we can expect. For example, we know that castration (that decreases androgens by 95%) stops completely hairloss in its tracks BUT it doesn't regrow hair if you were to castrate a bald man. On the other hand, bald transgender people who go on androgen therapy (estrogen injections), they see regrowth of their hair! That transgender person defenitly has fibrosis and calcification on it's hair follicules but the estrogen somehow brings it back to life

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So you are saying fibrosis is just a consequence of hairloss? No one can be sure about that.
I like to look at the extremes to know what we can expect. For example, we know that castration (that decreases androgens by 95%) stops completely hairloss in its tracks BUT it doesn't regrow hair if you were to castrate a bald man. On the other hand, bald transgender people who go on androgen therapy (estrogen injections), they see regrowth of their hair! That transgender person defenitly has fibrosis and calcification on it's hair follicules but the estrogen somehow brings it back to life

Fibrosis (in the follicle) correlates with the time when the follicle is so far gone that it's very difficult to revive.

I understand why people suspect it's part of the problem. That timeframe is a suspicious correlation.

But that's all it is - correlation, not causation. Follicles don't need fibrosis in order to be fully shut down. If the follicle is reactivated then the new terminal hair shaft will push through the fibrosis just fine. The closest thing we have to a method of clearing the fibrosis would be deep scalp needling, and the results don't show a big improvement over shallow needling.

Nostro100

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Fibrosis (in the follicle) correlates with the time when the follicle is so far gone that it's very difficult to revive.

I understand why people suspect it's part of the problem. That timeframe is a suspicious correlation.

But that's all it is - correlation, not causation. Follicles don't need fibrosis in order to be fully shut down. If the follicle is reactivated then the new terminal hair shaft will push through the fibrosis just fine. The closest thing we have to a method of clearing the fibrosis would be deep scalp needling, and the results don't show a big improvement over shallow needling.
So... The hairs miniaturize because of the "specific dna" ... Nothing to do to save them then?

You gotta work with me on this one. I'm not trying to defend this particular theory, I'm just trying to raise and answer pertinent questions about hairloss.
For me the simple answer that many people defend "scalp hair is simply genetically predisposed to miniaturize" is a cheap way out and simply hasn't been proven to be the case.
On the article they counterargue this point and give an explanation (that was kinda weak but still)

"One study comparing characteristics of transplanted hairs to and from legs and balding scalps found that “the recipient site influences the growth characteristics of transplanted hairs” [87], with “the thickness of the epidermis, dermis, or subcutaneous tissue, blood supply, or other factors play[ing] a role in survival and growth rate differences.
" , ie: if hair was genetically predisposed to die, it would die anywhere.

They talk about transplanted "non-Androgenetic Alopecia-prone scalp hair" into the balding scalp... their explanation is kinda weak too. "Explaining donor hair transplant survival rates"
" hair transplant hair count survival rates can exceed 90% one year after surgery [84]. If calcification and fibrosis are the rate-limiting factors to Androgenetic Alopecia recovery, then why do hair transplant donor hairs not miniaturize? This is answered with the model. hair transplant surgeries transplant more than just the hair follicle itself. Follicular unit grafts (FUG) procedures transplant “1–4 terminal hair follicles, one (or rarely two) vellus follicles, associated sebaceous lobules, insertion of erector pili muscle, [and the] perifollicular neurovascular network” [85]. Follicular unit extraction (FUE) procedures target singular follicles more specifically, typically with a 1 mm punch [86]. In either case, tissues surrounding each donor hair follicle are also transplanted. hair transplant donor tissue sites are not above the GA, and are therefore not under the same chronic tension before their transplantation – implying an absence of perifollicular fibrosis or dermal sheath thickening present in Androgenetic Alopecia-affected tissues. Androgenetic Alopecia progression is a decades-long process. If most transplanted donor hair follicles survive one year after hair transplantation, it’s likely these hair transplant follicles have not yet had enough time under tension exposure for fibrosis or dermal sheath thickening onset, and thereby hair follicle miniaturization."

ie: (TLDR); transplanted hairs weren't subjected to the "stress" that the scalp hairs were and Hairloss is a long process that takes ages.

their explanations are weak but at least it's something. There are some people out there that claim their only regiment is scalp massage https://www.jdmoyer.com/2015/04/13/hair/
Either this JDmoyer guy is one big shill that uses minoxidil and finasteride OR he is into something real about hairloss.

The closest thing we have to a method of clearing the fibrosis would be deep scalp needling, and the results don't show a big improvement over shallow needling.
We don't know to what degree does dermarolling actually cleans all fibrosis but it's a fact that it does help a lot.
I want to know WHY estrogen "revives" hair follicles.. thats my main quest now

Last edited: