skin pieces and using tape. what should I look for

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
so what kind of skin piece can you use tape on? My supplier once sent me a free thin skin unit. Well, I must admit it was the thinnest base I ever saw. It was more like saran wrap. I tried a piece of tape on it and while taking it off the skin ripped right along with it. That was the end of that.

I have a piece that is all poly, but that is much too thick for the front.

Last edited:

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
so what kind of skin piece can you use tape on? My supplier once sent me a free think skin unit. Well, I must admit it was the thinnest base I ever saw. It was more like saran wrap. I tried a piece of tape on it and while taking it off the skin ripped right along with it. That was the end of that.

I have a piece that is all poly, but that is much too thick for the front.
You can use tape with any system. I, along with many others, have successfully used tape on .03 thin skin poly's for years. Typically tape is used for sides and back, and glue is best for the hair line.

Just be careful when removing the tape. Use alcohol to break the bond, before attempting to peel it off the base.

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
My reason is: Glue is a time-consuming mess to me.
Respectfully, you're using it incorrectly then. I've been gluing my hairline for over 3 years and it takes about 30 seconds to apply 3 to 4 minutes to dry and you're out the door....

You can and add 50% 99% isopropyl alcohol to Walker ultrahold and make its consistency significantly easier to work with, without losing and appreciatible amount of hold.

If you never expose your hairline, I can see your point. However even unexposed, I like to be prepared for the worst case scenario, what if it is exposed inadvertently....

Last edited:

DarkDreams

My Regimen
Reaction score
A low residue base tape like Walker 1522 or Walker Sensi Tak with the stronger tape on top of it is how I'd suggest using tapes on poly/thin skin bases or surrounds.
Obviously use glue at the front if you have an exposed hairline.
Makes cleanup easier and less likely to tear the base when removing it.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Respectfully, you're using it incorrectly then. I've been gluing my hairline for over 3 years and it takes about 30 seconds to apply 3 to 4 minutes to dry and you're out the door....

You can and add 50% 99% isopropyl alcohol to Walker ultrahold and make its consistency significantly easier to work with, without losing and appreciatible amount of hold.

If you never expose your hairline, I can see your point. However even unexposed, I like to be prepared for the worst case scenario, what if it is exposed inadvertently....
Gluing down a hairline is a cakewalk compared to fully bonding UTS...

notsohairymon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Gluing down a hairline is a cakewalk compared to fully bonding UTS...
I am in my 3rd month of this and using a salon I go to once a month to take care of my UTS (my attempt at DYI a couple of years ago went poorly and I'm not ready to try DYI again).

I noticed this time around they both glued and put double sided tape all around it. This go around the sides were starting to unravel (but nowhere near the point that I was worried, especially since it was only a couple of days to my next appointment) and they said this would stop that and keep from my having to come sooner than once/month.

Does this sound correct? I always thought it was tape or glue but not both.