Skin cancer vaccine breakthrough

HughJass

Reaction score
THE pioneering Australian scientist who discovered the cure for cervical cancer is on the verge of creating the world's first vaccine for skin cancer.

Professor Ian Frazer, former Australian of the Year, has revealed the vaccine could be ready within the next five to 10 years.

Vote: Would you still take sun precautions after a vaccination?

As with the jab now given to millions of young girls each year to prevent cervical cancer, children aged between 10 and 12 would be given the vaccine to prevent skin cancer later in life, Professor Frazer envisages.

Testing on animals has shown the vaccine to be successful and human trials will start next year.

Australia has the world's highest rate of skin cancer with more than 380,000 people diagnosed with the disease and 1600 dying from it each year.

Professor Frazer will reveal this ground-breaking skin work at the Australian Health and Medical Research Congress to be held in Brisbane tomorrow.

He said it would be rewarding to develop a vaccine for a cancer that was so prevalent in Australia with its hot climate.

It's an important challenge with a very major health benefit if it works,'' Professor Frazer told The Sunday Telegraph.

"If we get encouraging results we will try and push it on as fast as we can. It's really a given that we try to focus on health problems which are significant ones.

"When you're looking at treatments, your focus needs to be on diseases that are most common.''

The new skin-cancer vaccine works by targeting papillomavirus, a common skin infection that affects most people and can linger in the body, turning abnormal cells into cancer.

Prof Frazer and his team from the Diamantina Institute at the University of Queensland are focusing on preventing squamous-cell skin cancer, which is strongly linked to papillomavirus.

Squamous cell is the second most common skin cancer, affecting 137,600 people in Australia this year and killing 400.

It's not yet known if melanomas, which are the most deadly form of skin cancer, are also caused by papillomavirus.

"My entire career has been focused on understanding the interaction between papillomavirus and the cancers they affect,'' Prof Frazer said.

"We know it causes at least five per cent of all cancers globally so one in 20 of the cancers that people get is caused by papillomavirus. It's a huge issue.''

The new vaccine is part of a two-pronged approach to tackle skin cancer.

The other approach involves "switching off'' one of the skin's controls to allow killer cells to destroy potentially cancerous cells.

"Getting the vaccine is the easy part,'' Prof Frazer said.

"We need to introduce this other component to change the setting in the local environment.

"The skin has a number of defences against the body's own immune system.

"What we're learning is the nature of those controls and how to turn them off.

"We can turn them off in animals and if we turn them off, the vaccine does its job.''

The next stage of trials will involve treating those patients with chronic disease and pre-cancerous lesions.

The new vaccine is not the same as Gardasil - used against cervical cancer - and contains different ingredients, although both work in a similar way.

"It's a conventional vaccine that contains a viral protein,'' Prof Fraser said.

"It was specifically developed for this trial.''

Professor Frazer told Thursday's St George Hospital 2008 symposium in south-east Sydney that more than 20 per cent ofthe world's cancers were triggered by infection and theycould therefore be prevented by immunisation.

But he acknowledged that the full extent of the role of papillomavirus in skin cancer had not yet been established.

"I don't know how many skin cancers are caused by it,'' he said. ``On pessimistic days I say one per cent, but on other days I think maybe all of them are.''

And despite his hopes, Prof Frazer stressed it would not mean vaccinated people could abandon measures to protect themselves from the sun.

"There's always a danger of complacency,'' he said.

"A vaccine is not a replacement for prevention.''

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/s ... 09,00.html

BlahBlah12

Established Member
Reaction score
f*****g AYE MAN. I was born 10 years too early.
To think, in an ideal situation a person 10 years younger than me can be 17 years old, with his whole life ahead of him, never have to worry about losing his hair, and can keep a year round tan and look his best all the time without fear of skin cancer.

Hammy070

Established Member
Reaction score
In the past, agriculture based societies who worked all day outside, I wonder if there is any information on skin cancer prevalence in pre-industrial sunny societies?We are 'increasing' skin cancer a lot, but actually reducing the time we spend outdoors year by year. Don't you think that's a little strange?

Obviously, awareness of skin cancer, moles, bumps etc. makes diagnosis far more likely, but surely not to this extent? Could also be the case that our modern diseases are allowed to develop into their capacity as fatal conditions, because smallpox, deadly flus, cholera are denied the chance. You never know what other disasters await once cancer and heart disease become history! Imagine a whole heap of diseases that appear in 130-140 year olds that were not heard of or extremely rare before. Nobody dies from being old, they always die because of a system/component failure, right now, the most common is heart disease and cancers, followed by accidents due to frailty. Just interested what would happen if the top ten causes of deaths that cause 99% of all deaths were eliminated, would that 1% other, now become an epidemic for 110 year olds? There's an arms race going on between medical science and natural biology and as long as we're dying, the enemy is winning, albeit the enemy has to work a little harder each decade.

HughJass

Reaction score
perhaps the hole in the ozone layer has something to do with it?

we are right underneath it here and have the highest rates of skin cancer in the world

maybe an array of environmental factors contributing to it?

CCS

Reaction score
Hammy070 said:
In the past, agriculture based societies who worked all day outside, I wonder if there is any information on skin cancer prevalence in pre-industrial sunny societies?We are 'increasing' skin cancer a lot, but actually reducing the time we spend outdoors year by year. Don't you think that's a little strange?

Obviously, awareness of skin cancer, moles, bumps etc. makes diagnosis far more likely, but surely not to this extent? Could also be the case that our modern diseases are allowed to develop into their capacity as fatal conditions, because smallpox, deadly flus, cholera are denied the chance. You never know what other disasters await once cancer and heart disease become history! Imagine a whole heap of diseases that appear in 130-140 year olds that were not heard of or extremely rare before. Nobody dies from being old, they always die because of a system/component failure, right now, the most common is heart disease and cancers, followed by accidents due to frailty. Just interested what would happen if the top ten causes of deaths that cause 99% of all deaths were eliminated, would that 1% other, now become an epidemic for 110 year olds? There's an arms race going on between medical science and natural biology and as long as we're dying, the enemy is winning, albeit the enemy has to work a little harder each decade.

You have a lower risk if you gradually build up a tan. In our society, we are completely indoors and white most of the time, and then we go to the beach "to tan" and get too much at once. Also, UV rays are a bit stronger now.

CCS

Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
perhaps the hole in the ozone layer has something to do with it?

we are right underneath it here and have the highest rates of skin cancer in the world

maybe an array of environmental factors contributing to it?

I don't know why south american has not come up with some big chemical reaction to build more ozone, then use hot ozone balloons to get it up to where the whole is. Or maybe come up with reactive gasses that react with freon up high before it has a chance to react with ozone. It would take a lot of gas, though. Maybe not possible.

CCS

Reaction score
BlahBlah12 said:
f****ing AYE MAN. I was born 10 years too early.
To think, in an ideal situation a person 10 years younger than me can be 17 years old, with his whole life ahead of him, never have to worry about losing his hair, and can keep a year round tan and look his best all the time without fear of skin cancer.

You are my age then. Just get the vacine anyway. You still will have some of your problems, but if it stops them from getting worse, then it is worth taking it. Just do what you can. Look at the cell phone you have. Your parent's did not have one. They had to wait by the phone all day hoping the hottie would call them. You can at least go have fun, and have a cell phone on you. Don't hate. Appreaciate. And do what you can to save your skin until the vacine comes out.

Now that I know about the vacine, I am totally staying of the sun for now. I'll get tanned after I get it, and save my skin until then.

HughJass

Reaction score
there was a study published here in Australia (I think) about a year ago showing how people who took regular doses of ibuprofen had much lower rates of skin cancer

maybe a weekly low dose of anti-inflammatory can be an effective way to protect yoself