Skiman's Story

Skiman

Reaction score
HI all .... just joined this today. 34 years old, and been experiencing male pattern baldness gradually for past few years .. more notably vertex and hairline. Today I went to my local Bosley center for their free consultation for possible hair transplant. I was told by the surgeon to hold off on this since I was not a good candidate at this time because I had some thinning of hair in the donor areas in the back .. which I was unaware of. :cry: He did give me a scrip for propecia which I started today, and asked to me to come back in one year for follow up eval. I believe I will start minoxidil as well ...

Looking forward to checking in here on a regular basis for news, ideas, and/or support.

Skiman :)

DovF

Reaction score
Welcome to the club

At least the doctor at Bosley was honest enough to tell you to do something first.
If you improve the quality of your hair, you may not need the transplants at all.

Minoxidil (a stimulant) and Propecia (anti-androgin) are a good start.
You might want to do more though.
A topical anti-androgen may help. Nizoral AD is cheap and non-prescription. It helps with your scalp and battles DHT.

Minoxidil alone is pretty poor. It does nothing to repair hair and seems to become less efficient over time. There are a number of products that have other ingredients to increase the effectiveness of minoxidil.
I use a combination of Retin-A and Minoxidil by Dr. Lewenberg.
Some other doctors use other ingredients like copper peptides or anti-androgens.

Best of luck.

Skiman

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips ....

I found nizoral at my local grocery store for 10 bucks, so I'll start using that a couple of days a week.

The shedder

Established Member
Reaction score
Nizoral will be fine for you at most 3 times per week. And try to find a good conditioner because nizoral can make your hair unmanagable and fluffy.