Sit ups?

googler

Established Member
Reaction score
Every night I do a total of 400 sit ups (without the aid of an ab roller).

Firstly, I lie on my left side and do 100, then I switch to the right and do another 100. Then I lie on my back and do 100, my body positioned like this __/\. Then after that I do another 100 on my back, but with my legs raised in the air.

I was never advised on how to do sit ups, this is just the way I always did them. Am I doing it wrong? For example I'm doing a total of 200 on my back but only 100 per side, should I do 200 per side considering I'm doing 200 on my back to balance it out?

I'm looking to tighten up and build a six pack. I can feel the ab muscles, but they're covered in a layer of fat if you know what I mean. I do 60 minutes of solid cardio every second day.

Thanks

made_guy82

Established Member
Reaction score
keep up the cardio (make sure you doing it at the proper intensity - i.e. difficult to hold a conversation with someone cos of your heavy breathing)

and tighten up the diet.

Also, you might want to try some variety in your ab training and do a couple of sets of 30-40 rather than 100 straight and really concentrate on squeezing your stomach with each rep.

jumpedthegun

Established Member
Reaction score
i'll quote arnold on this one (loosely): to make the biggest impact on the appearance of your abs, don't do situps, lose weight.

omgstfuty

Established Member
Reaction score
sup pikemonster, what did your diet contain to get your abs shoing?? did you follow the diet show on http://www.fatlosstips.com ?If so what does it mean when it says vitamin c with meals ,, does it mean vitamin c supplements, or fresh fruit etc??
Cheers for that link aswell mate, its very usefull.

Bod

Reaction score
I don't have 6 meals as instructed I cut it down to 5 small meals a day as 6 meals was just a bit much, I stuck to a high protein diet of about 50% for the three months now I have between 30%-40%, I use Vitamin C Supplements (twice a day) and Glutamine (once a day) and don't use Whey Protein Powder as instructed.

I work out 4 times a week and that’s for an hour each time, but the most important thing to remember is ‘Abs are made in the Kitchen not in the Gym’ cause as soon as I was losing weight my abs were showing with the exercise. Let me know if you have anymore questions as I would happily give you a guide on what foods to eat and what exercises you should be doing but http://www.fatlosstips.com/ explains most things.

googler

Established Member
Reaction score
Pikemonster thanks for the link.

I've been my routine for years and have gained nothing. I only recently started to watch what I eat. Before I would bust my gut in the gym and come home and eat like a horse, and wonder why my body wasn't changing much.

Do you think I should just give up on lying on my side and doing crunches, does it actually do anything?

DaSand

Established Member
Reaction score
Interesting website, I've been losing weight for almost a year slowly, but I'm getting there. My goal by the end of this year is to be 185-190 pounds. I was 236 a year ago (January 2005) and now I'm 220. I'm running 3 days a week (I run 3 miles a day) and I'm adding days for the weights. I also am eating more fruits, veggies and water at home.

thanks pikemonster for that site!

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Damn--
I'm 20 years old, 5'10, and only 165lbs.

Am I underweight or something?