Sinking to a whole new low.

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
A few days ago my mom commented on how my hair was starting to look good recently. I had been noticing gradual improvements but didn't want to really say anything because it wasn't extremely noticeable and being superstituous, I didn't want to jinx it.

Three days later, i've sunk to rock bottom. It's like the balding gene forgot about me temporarly and then once it found out I was doing okay decided to come back and just rampage me. The slight progress I had has been almost completely erradicated by three days of persistant shedding. In order to go to school every morning I have to frantically style my hair for 30 + minutes just so that it takes on some semblance of being normal.

I hate being 18 and having to base my daily activites on how windy it is or how my hair looks. I can't go play baseball with my friends tommorow because the wind and sweat will ruin my hair. Wearing a hat is not an option because then I will have to go through the same process I already dread doing just once a day (creating a hairstyle out of hair that isn't there).

I hate that I'm not even slightly excited for graduation because I don't know whether or not my hair will hold up till then.

I hate not being able to ask out a girl because I'm not comfortable enough with my hair.

Finally, I hate feeling ashamed and so unconfident.

I usually try to keep my negativity to myself but after looking in the mirror tonight I couldn't help but vent. My only salvation is that I will only have to endure this for four more months and then I'm off to university. I'm not even going to try and hide it there. Maintaing this facade is almost worse then the balding process itself.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
I feel your pain my friend....I used to be in a popular local rock band. I used to luv being on stage and performing in front of people. It's something I've dreamed of since I was a little 7 year old kid. My hair loss has taken that away from me. I'm very self conscious now and the thought of going on stage terifies me. so I don't anymore. The only thing we can do is try to make the best of the situation....I tell myself it could always be worse, and that helps sometimes. Just wanted to let you know that your not alone..... and yes I go through that crazy styling ritual myself. I really wish I had a good shaped head so I could just shave it.

G

kramer, i feel for you dude. That is a sorry situation you are in. I know how it feels, i just turned 19, started diffusing a few months ago. I'm lucky that at least i got through high school before i started losing it. But i have some advice for you. Why not get a cool new haircut? Keep it short. Real short. It will look better. Plus, i think you need to really lay off of using so much hairspray, just go au natural. Thats what i did, i just let my hair frizz. I think it just allows a better condition for your scalp to regrow hair. Also with a short haircut wear some hats. Wear a 49er's hat and be like a straight up Cali4nia G. Seriously, you should think of doing a short hairstyle. Maybe even try just shaving it all off and see how you like it. The first time i did it, i actually liked it. I wasn't too sure about it, but when i did it, it was cool. Good luck, i hope things turn around for you soon. Try to post some pics so we can evaluate it and tell you what we think. I bet it we won't think its nearly as bad as you think it is.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Kramer, don't worry. You are going through a bad stretch.

In my experience, I have gone through many a change in perspective at my hair. Initially I thought I was a miracle responder... then it slowed and I would shed. Then, things thickened up, and the next month I would look in the mirror and wonder to myself if this treatment sh*t was doing any good for me at all.

But, through all of this, and with patience, despite the ups and downs I have noticed a slow but persistent NET gain on my hairline. I'm really f*****g pleased at this point, glad I stuck it out. After I finally had firm proof of real regrowth and after my hairstylist said to me, and mind you he said this on a day when I thought my hair looked thin and shitty, "Gardener, your hair is a lot thicker? Are you taking Rogaine?" I realized that sometimes one's perception of ones self is a lot more critical than the reality of the situation.

Kramer, be patient. You are doing what you have to do. Just keep it up, and statistics say that you will be a very happy man in the future.

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Kramer, heed (sp?) my advice!

I am 28 years old, and looking fo my soulmate, the one I will marry. I always saw college as the best place to meet somebody. I still think it is.

My advice is, don't trick yourself into thinking you need something better than what you've already found. I don't meant ot suggest that you should "settle" due to hair loss. But don't let a good gal slip away, either.

I hope you find the confidence you need ot meet a great girl. But don't let he slip away like I did. Follow your heart, know that nothing/no girl is perfect, and marry your female best friend.

And keep this in mind otherwise: a lot of younger guys might tell me "hey, you are lucky, you've had hair this long". But hopefully there will be a cure by the time you are 25 years old- a perfect age for it. Study like the wind, keeping in mind the idea that you may some day hve to put down a few thou for your hair.

Good luck!

David77

Established Member
Reaction score
The Gardener said:
, "Gardener, your hair is a lot thicker? Are you taking Rogaine?" I realized that sometimes one's perception of ones self is a lot more critical than the reality of the situation.

Are you your hairdressers Gardener then? :)

johnnycash

Established Member
Reaction score
Come on now guys. Feeling like sh*t casue of our hair just ain't right. I think the majority of us overestimate the importance we place on our hair and invent false perceptions as to what others think about us. I'm doing something about mine hair loss though I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. No one can make us feel like sh*t but ourselves. As for being too terrified to get up on stage because of one's appearance is likely the saddest thing I've read on here.

Hair or no hair it's still our decision to be happy or not, and hair my friends, WILL not in itslef make us happy. I hope you get your *** up on stage and make people happy, it's the music that counts man, not what the person looks like who's playing it. Just ask Lyle Lovett!

Kramer3

Established Member
Reaction score
Badass: As soon as I head off to university I think i'm going to shave my head. I'm not sure if I have the ideal head shape to match that style but at least I have naturally olive skin which helps. As soon as I get a digital camera, I will try and post pictures. I think my hair looks better then it is because it's kind of long and I style it so that it looks shorter. Do you want to hear something that's really incredible. I haven't gotten an official haircut in a year!! My dad trims it from time to time but he never really takes off too much. You would think that my hair would be shoulder length but really it's not that long at all; the same length as someone who hand't got a haircut in two months. It's like my hair regulates itself by using constant fallout and subsequent regrowth.

Gardener: The only reason I still have hope is because I am relying on thos statisitics to come through for me. Strangely my vertex and area just infront of it has responded great to the treatments. That area is really not a problem anymore whatsoever. It's odd how a treatment can work so well on one area of your head and not the other. It almost seems like the areas that I consistently use minoxidil on, are the ones that are in the worst shape. Hopefully, that's just a coincedence.

Badhairdecade: It's crazy how hair affects us, isn't it? Just today, I decided not to walk two blocks to get some food at McDonalds because it was a little windy out and I wanted my hair to look just right for this party I was going too tonight. It just get's ridiculous the things we do for our hair.

markymark123

Established Member
Reaction score
kramer, I know how tough it is also. I applaud the fact that you arent gonna let it bother you in college. This was my first year at college this year and my hair loss hit me very hard. Pretty much since November it has consumed me, and now I absolutely dread summer coming when all of my friends are back in town. I don't even want to hang out with them after the incredible amoutn of recession ive had in just 6 months. I wish i could shave my head and not care, but I know i would like terrible, (if i could look any worse with my gigantic forhead now I do not know), but i wish you the best of luck.

salazam

Established Member
Reaction score
luckily for me, i got out of high school without having to worry about hairloss, and i was done first year universitywithout hairloss and that's where it started, well let's see cancer, and ulcer and hairloss 3 years later has taken it's toll on me, i have survived, looks like i beaten the other two except hairloss, still about a norwood 2, going onto 4th year in Engineering no less. Had i had hairloss any earlier, during high school i never would have made it this far, that' being said, i am getting a hairtransplant FUE this summer i believe, coz really i have suffered enough already, i know your pain, but its time to give back to me