Simultaneous Regrowth And Loss On The Hairline

JTX

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey All -

I started taking Finasteride about 2 months ago. The last two or so weeks, much to my surprise, i started noticing a change in my hairline. The triangle that had formed at the temple was evening out to a straight line up my forehead.

However, in the past week, while the right side of my head is already getting back to normal - the left side of my head seems to have receded dramatically. Before Finasteride, I only had loss at the corners of my forehead, but this hair loss is creeping in closer to the center.

I have to assume that the Finasteride is working (even my family and friends have pointed out they are surprised how quickly it has gotten better). Has anyone else experienced this simultaneous growth/loss? Am I just imagining that it's going back?

I know it usually takes 6-12 months to really see any dramatic result, I'm just curious about the nature of what's going on. For what it's worth, I do have some hairs that are growing a short distance away from the hairline, leaving an obvious gap between the line and the growth.

I'm 22, if that matters.

Nostro100

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Welcome to the HairLossTalk forum.

Sorry to tell you that there is nobody in this forum qualified enough to answer your question. (why one side receded dramatically).
Your age isn't important... male pattern baldness attacks men as soon as 16 years old. It's still on debate why finasteride works for some people and not for others. (this must be something to do with the fact that DHT may not be the main problem but a secondary problem that comes from the major unknown hairloss contributor).
So, that on itself is a very hard problem to decipher. Why one temple is more receded than the other, while on finasteride (a systemic drug that therefore should have an equal effect on both temples), as you can imagine, hardly anyone can answer it (not even doctors...they will tell you it's genetics and send you on your way).

Check it out. https://perfecthairhealth.com/the-leading-theories-of-pattern-hair-loss/

PS: I more and more tend to adhere to the muscular tension / tight galea theory. Let's put on the table the fact that our skulls may not be 100% uniform and therefore, it may fit in this theory that due to the specific formation of your skull, the muscles of one side make more tension than the other side. (you will have to read the article how this theory explains male pattern baldness. Lots of parts of it are deeply speculated in order to make it sound right and that's one reason I dont trust it to the fullest, but it's the best we have in my opinion.)

hairlineiseverything

My Regimen
Reaction score
Welcome to the HairLossTalk forum.

Sorry to tell you that there is nobody in this forum qualified enough to answer your question. (why one side receded dramatically).
Your age isn't important... male pattern baldness attacks men as soon as 16 years old. It's still on debate why finasteride works for some people and not for others. (this must be something to do with the fact that DHT may not be the main problem but a secondary problem that comes from the major unknown hairloss contributor).
So, that on itself is a very hard problem to decipher. Why one temple is more receded than the other, while on finasteride (a systemic drug that therefore should have an equal effect on both temples), as you can imagine, hardly anyone can answer it (not even doctors...they will tell you it's genetics and send you on your way).

Check it out. https://perfecthairhealth.com/the-leading-theories-of-pattern-hair-loss/

PS: I more and more tend to adhere to the muscular tension / tight galea theory. Let's put on the table the fact that our skulls may not be 100% uniform and therefore, it may fit in this theory that due to the specific formation of your skull, the muscles of one side make more tension than the other side. (you will have to read the article how this theory explains male pattern baldness. Lots of parts of it are deeply speculated in order to make it sound right and that's one reason I dont trust it to the fullest, but it's the best we have in my opinion.)

Does that mean that chewing gum leads to temple hairloss?