Sides/temples Of Head Have The Same Growth Rate As My Facial Hair

Chris2746

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey all,

Let me preface by saying I was on here a while ago, worried about hair loss (I'm 21). I eventually wanted to get a proffesional opinion before I started any treatment (Minx or finasteride) so I went to a dermatologist first.
Given that I have quite thick hair mostly, with a mature hairline, I was pretty much laughed out and he just said that if it was gonna happen, I couldn't do much about it without going on Finastride, which would give me side effects.

This went on for a few months, and as my hair grew longer, it gained weight and pulled down sections that made it look like it was getting worse.
Eventually I decided to go private and get a trichologist's opinion. Here's where the fun starts...

After having the appointment, assessing genetic history, thoroughly checking my scalp with microsopes for miniaturization and assessing the hairline, she concluded that -at the moment, I'm not receding (yay). But the hair on the sides of my head (the parts not effected by male pattern baldness, as in, around the ears and lower temples, if you see one of my last posts) is a lot thinner than the rest of my hair, to the extent that it looks like I have an undercut.
We looked, and there is no miniaturization there or gaps or anything, the hair is healthy and not going anywhere.
Instead, for whatever reason, my sides have the same texture and growth rate as my facial hair (and are, for all intensive purposes, actually facial hair), and I seem to have a "band" of sorts that goes around the sides and at the neckline of the back of my head.
As such, the hair there is only 2-3cm long, whereas all rest is nearly 8/9 inches now.

I've never heard of facial hair coming up to the temples, but apparently it can happen if you have the genes for it (all the guys in my family have thick beards).
So on the one hand, I'm happy af that I'm not receding yet, but at the same time, it does look kinda sh*t, but I thought I would share in case anyone else has something similar.