Sides on finasteride but none on dutasteride?

2guard

Reaction score
I think I read some people that got sides (sexual) on finasteride, switched to dutasteride and got no sides? Am I remembering it all wrong or have there been posts like that?

I'm going to go off finasteride, and would like to try dutasteride. However I would think for most people if you get sides with finasteride, you probably WILL get sides with dutasteride, possibly more? Or is there no correlation at all in that department?

Pondle

Reaction score
2guard said:
I think I read some people that got sides (sexual) on finasteride, switched to dutasteride and got no sides? Am I remembering it all wrong or have there been posts like that?

I reckon anyone who claims that is probably taking a fake drug.

I'm going to go off finasteride, and would like to try dutasteride. However I would think for most people if you get sides with finasteride, you probably WILL get sides with dutasteride, possibly more? Or is there no correlation at all in that department?

"There does not appear to be any clinically significant difference between the adverse event profiles of dutasteride and finasteride." http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articl ... id=1472914
http://www.clinicalanswers.nhs.uk/index ... stion=2428

phish

Established Member
Reaction score
will some people who take dutasteride have less sides then finasteride prob, just like any drug works dif on people. but overall I cant see finasteride having more side effects when your only blocking one part of dht.

blueshard

Established Member
Reaction score
after I made the switch I def. experienced an increase in sex drive, but it could have been because I felt less depressed.

powersam

Reaction score
Pondle said:
2guard said:

"There does not appear to be any clinically significant difference between the adverse event profiles of dutasteride and finasteride." http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articl ... id=1472914

pondle - the scenario you put forward about fake drugs is reasonable and possible. but i had some sexual sides with finasteride and none with dutasteride. it had to be genuine dutasteride also because i had a frontal shed, skin got dry, body hair lessened etc. still im never buying from anywhere except qhi because i know they have legit stuff.

Pondle

Reaction score
powersam said:
Pondle said:
2guard said:

pondle - the scenario you put forward about fake drugs is reasonable and possible. but i had some sexual sides with finasteride and none with dutasteride. it had to be genuine dutasteride also because i had a frontal shed, skin got dry, body hair lessened etc. still im never buying from anywhere except qhi because i know they have legit stuff.

It doesn't make much sense to me powersam, because finasteride and dutasteride work in pretty much the same way, i.e. they inhibit DHT and consequently increase testosterone and estrogen levels. Side effects are due to the extent of DHT suppression, so logically the more DHT you suppress, the worse any sides should be, and dutasteride should generate a higher degree of sides.

Finasteride reduces serum DHT by 65% within 24 hours of oral dosing with a 1-mg tablet. Mean circulating levels of testosterone and estradiol were increase by approximately 15% as compared to baseline (remaining within the physiologic range).

In comparison, dutasteride reduces DHT by 90% after two weeks of daily dosing, and increases in serum testosterone by over 20%. I can't find any data on estrogen levels but I assume it's higher (because more T is now available to convert). However, I found a comment on a website that refers to estrogen levels with dutasteride being at "the higher end of normal".

But then I went back to the dutasteride phase II hair loss trial data and, confusingly, finasteride 5mg comes out worse than dutasteride 0.5mg for sides, despite the lower DHT suppression. So I'm confused.

Dutsideeffects.jpg

G

i too had sexual sides on finasteride and have never had sexual sides on avodart.

my finasteride was legitimate finasteride from a us pharmacy.

my dutasteride is also from a us pharmacy.

dht inhibition percentages do not always tell the whole story, pondle. just because avodart blocks more 5ar than propecia doesn't mean that people are more likely to have sides or that it's impossible for someone who had sides on finasteride to have no sides on dutasteride. the drugs are of different chemical compositions and everyone's body is different.

aplunk is another person who had sides on finasteride but no sides on dutasteride. he has switched back to finasteride and now has sides again. explain that .

Pondle

Reaction score
JayMan said:
dht inhibition percentages do not always tell the whole story, pondle. just because avodart blocks more 5ar than propecia doesn't mean that people are more likely to have sides or that it's impossible for someone who had sides on finasteride to have no sides on dutasteride. the drugs are of different chemical compositions and everyone's body is different.

aplunk is another person who had sides on finasteride but no sides on dutasteride. he has switched back to finasteride and now has sides again. explain that .

I understand that the response could be different, but aren't sexualsides simply due to the hormonal changes induced by the drugs? In which case, more drastic hormonal changes should result in worse sides, logically speaking.

G

Pondle said:
JayMan said:

I understand that the response could be different, but aren't sexualsides simply due to the hormonal changes induced by the drugs? In which case, more drastic hormonal changes should result in worse sides, logically speaking.

there is no logic like that when it comes to comparing two completely different drugs. if you're comparing dosages of the same drug then maybe, but the drugs act differently once in the body.

you even mentioned above that the 5 mg finasteride gave higher incidence of sides than 0.5 mg dutasteride.

Pondle

Reaction score
JayMan said:
there is no logic like that when it comes to comparing two completely different drugs. if you're comparing dosages of the same drug then maybe, but the drugs act differently once in the body.

you even mentioned above that the 5 mg finasteride gave higher incidence of sides than 0.5 mg dutasteride.

Yes, I mentioned that I was very confused! But both the 5mg finasteride and 0.5mg dutasteride treatment groups are pretty small. Maybe a larger sample would tell a different story?

I can understand why allergic reactions like headaches and rashes might differ between dutasteride and finasteride, but I can't understand why sexual sides might differ, since dutasteride and finasteride both work in exactly the same way, i.e. binding to 5AR and inducing consequent hormonal changes.

G

Pondle said:
JayMan said:

Yes, I mentioned that I was very confused! But both the 5mg finasteride and 0.5mg dutasteride treatment groups are pretty small. Maybe a larger sample would tell a different story?

I can understand why allergic reactions like headaches and rashes might differ between dutasteride and finasteride, but I can't understand why sexual sides might differ, since dutasteride and finasteride both work in exactly the same way, i.e. binding to 5AR and inducing consequent hormonal changes.

they still have different chemical compositions. thats what im sticking with