Side effects, propecia and paranoya!! PLZ HELP!

nottingham_uk

Reaction score
Hey! I started propecia 2 days ago at a cost of £36 (ooouuccchh!) next month I'm gonna ask the Doctor to prescribe 5mg so it works out cheaper! Basically, I think i am worrying myself for nothing, but, those of you who have side effects, how long 'into' the treatment did they occur?? It's my second day and I feel like I'm having less erections than normal!!

westcovinajoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Chances are you will never have any side effects, and if you ever do you can stop taking the drug and they will go away.

Just relax. :wink:

Joe.

kingg008

Reaction score
check it out for a few weeks before deciding.....although many have sides....some people don't...hope u r the lucky one....

Do not panic.....if u stop sides disappear automatically!!

Back In Time

Established Member
Reaction score
westcovinajoe said:
Chances are you will never have any side effects, and if you ever do you can stop taking the drug and they will go away.

Just relax. :wink:

Joe.

I agree with this. Paranoia will destroy ya!

-cj-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Chances are, you probably are having less than normal erections. Most people say this subsides after the first few weeks of treatment.

Lessofarockstar

Established Member
Reaction score
I agree. Once you start you need to give it some time, and it is important that you don't start looking for side effects. Don't worry... IF you get sides, you will notice. So there is really no need to look for them. :wink:

Seriously now that you have taken the plunge just stick it out, and keep your mind off it. Pop your pills and try not to think about it. You'll probably be fine and not have any sides.

nottingham_uk

Reaction score
Cheers Guys! It;s just that Its been two mornings on the trot that I've woken up without a 'stiffy'! IS this normal in the first few weeks???

beaner

Reaction score
I've been on finasteride for about 6 weeks...I had very few or no sides at all. I did notice a decrease in morning erections for a couple weeks...but I won't even say that was 100% caused by the finasteride because I don't necessarily have one every single morning anyway, and I think I may have had somewhat watery semen for a week, but that also could have been my mind playing tricks. Otherwise, 6 weeks in and I am having ZERO side effects at this point.....it probably also helps that I never think about getting them...I just pop my pill daily and forget about it.

westcovinajoe

Established Member
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind, is that if you are in the habit of "noticing" your morning erections you are probably paying to much attention to your Johnson.

Propecia can cause a tiny reduction in LIBIDO, not erections, there is a difference.

Also since people who have problems or questions about a product are way more likely to run to an online forum and question it, it makes it seem like side effects occur in 99% of users instead of 2-5%.

So just relax and know that miilions of people take this pill everyday, it works in controlling hair loss, and causes them no side effects whatsoever.

Relax, or if you can't relax see a DOCTOR,
Joe.

Lessofarockstar

Established Member
Reaction score
nottingham_uk said:
Cheers Guys! It;s just that Its been two mornings on the trot that I've woken up without a 'stiffy'! IS this normal in the first few weeks???

I'd say it's quite normal on finasteride.
Just stick with it, it will probably return to normal.

Primex

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey no worries bro, you're probably just thinking too much about it. I've only been on Propecia for 2 weeks, but after the first night of taking one I woke up the next morning totally soft and freaked out (I have a boner almost every morning.) Of course I was thinking non-stop about the side effects all night and didn't sleep much. Then it occurred to me that I got up and went to the bathroom an hour before I woke up, which when this happens combined with no sleep, I'm always pretty soft when I wake up later. So basically now I'm forgetting that this dumb pill even has sides and just taking them and hoping that I didn't waste my money. So far so good.

Back In Time

Established Member
Reaction score
Primex said:
So basically now I'm forgetting that this dumb pill even has sides and just taking them and hoping that I didn't waste my money. So far so good.

That's the way to go about it in my opinion. I think one of the big downfalls of this pill is having most folks completely aware of the possible side effects before they take it. I know that sounds stupid and it would be illegal, but during the clinical trials 2.1% of the people that were given a placebo reported the same side effects that obviously couldn't have been caused by the fake pill they were given (erectile dysfunction, decreased libido, etc).

Sure some people can and do get some sides, but I think if you obsess over finding sides you are more likely to find them when they may not be there. I mean sure, (to use an example) lots of guys wake up with an erection in the morning, but have you sat down with a pencil and paper for the past year and recorded how many days you wake up with one before you started taking Propecia, how long it lasts, what you did the night before, and so on? Measured how hard and large your erections are, or how much sperm you produce or the consitancy before starting Propecia?

Once you are on Propecia, more attention is being paid to these things.

Don't get me wrong, sides are real for some people...but I found it interesting to read about the placebo effect...you tell 100 people that they are getting a real drug to take every day and really give them a fake pill that does nothing, ask them all a year later if they had erectile dysfunction as a side effect and a little over 2 of them will say yes! :p Add to that the fact that now in the "real world" people really know they are taking the real thing, and that it's possible to get those side effects from taking the real deal and I wonder how much that placebo number jumps up. It would be an interesting study.