Side Effects On Propecia. Should I Stop?

Gfish

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all,

Apologies I posted this in the wrong section so posting it again

I'm 23 and recently noticed my hairline receding (I'll say im about NW2). So I started taking Propecia 3 months ago (1mg a day). I havent seen any improvement in my hair yet and I havent experienced any sides until recently. Seems like all these sides have come in this last week! I didn't notice any before then. But now im experiencing a mild aching pain in my testicles, which is very uncomfortable. Occasionally a sharp pain in my stomach/sides. Sex drive has lowered. Depression has become much worse, to the point where i have had to take time off work recently. Feeling very tired and unmotivated. And now i think im experiencing 'brain fog'? Just tried to have a conversation with someone and i couldnt even think what to say.. I just stopped talking and stared off in the distance, it was a weird experience. Feels like im struggling to think what to say and do.

All of this may not be because of the Propecia. But it's the only medication i'm taking and before taking it i was fine and didnt have anything like this. So my questions are should i stop taking it? At what point do these sides get serious? Starting to scare me a little. What would you guys do? I have started to take 1mg every otherday instead to see if that helps

thanks

Ein

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi all,

Apologies I posted this in the wrong section so posting it again

I'm 23 and recently noticed my hairline receding (I'll say im about NW2). So I started taking Propecia 3 months ago (1mg a day). I havent seen any improvement in my hair yet and I havent experienced any sides until recently. Seems like all these sides have come in this last week! I didn't notice any before then. But now im experiencing a mild aching pain in my testicles, which is very uncomfortable. Occasionally a sharp pain in my stomach/sides. Sex drive has lowered. Depression has become much worse, to the point where i have had to take time off work recently. Feeling very tired and unmotivated. And now i think im experiencing 'brain fog'? Just tried to have a conversation with someone and i couldnt even think what to say.. I just stopped talking and stared off in the distance, it was a weird experience. Feels like im struggling to think what to say and do.

All of this may not be because of the Propecia. But it's the only medication i'm taking and before taking it i was fine and didnt have anything like this. So my questions are should i stop taking it? At what point do these sides get serious? Starting to scare me a little. What would you guys do? I have started to take 1mg every otherday instead to see if that helps

thanks
It's because of Finasteride. It rarely happens but it happens with very few of the Finasteride users. 5-alpha reductase inhibitors are not good for brain, because they negatively affect the GABAA receptors in the brains of a very few people. I would recommend you to avoid using Finasteride, Dutasteride or Cyproterone Acetate. Spironolactone is also not good for you, because of the testicular pain and electrolyte imbalance of Spironolactone. A few options that you're left with are Minoxidil, Ketoconazole, Enzalutamide, RU58841, Flutamide and Bicalutamide. Of these, bicalutamide is the best option, though it's pretty expensive and strong. But it's non-steroidal, has no sexual side effects and is safe for brain. Minoxidil works but not for everyone. I can't say the same for Bicalutamide.

InvaderZim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's because of Finasteride. It rarely happens but it happens with very few of the Finasteride users. 5-alpha reductase inhibitors are not good for brain, because they negatively affect the GABAA receptors in the brains of a very few people. I would recommend you to avoid using Finasteride, Dutasteride or Cyproterone Acetate. Spironolactone is also not good for you, because of the testicular pain and electrolyte imbalance of Spironolactone. A few options that you're left with are Minoxidil, Ketoconazole, Enzalutamide, RU58841, Flutamide and Bicalutamide. Of these, bicalutamide is the best option, though it's pretty expensive and strong. But it's non-steroidal, has no sexual side effects and is safe for brain. Minoxidil works but not for everyone. I can't say the same for Bicalutamide.
How is it going with your regimen?

Gfish

My Regimen
Reaction score

Ok thanks for the advice! Sounds like i should stop taking Propecia and I will look into your reccomendations. If i was to continue taking Propecia could the symptoms worsen and become serious do you think?

Ein

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How is it going with your regimen?
My regimen is so great, I couldn't ever have anticipated. I'm so glad I went off from Spironolactone and Finasteride, since I hated the electrolyte imbalance. Now, I'm on Bicalutamide and Tamoxifen, and I have no side effects so far. Of course, I had to add Tamoxifen because Bicalutamide is so powerful that it gave me a really painful gynecomastia within two weeks. I love my skin changes now. It's been only three months on this regimen and I can see some minor improvement.
Ok thanks for the advice! Sounds like i should stop taking Propecia and I will look into your reccomendations. If i was to continue taking Propecia could the symptoms worsen and become serious do you think?
The symptoms may or may not worsen, but it won't become anything serious. I think Finasteride would do more harm than benefiting you.