Sibilings (Brothers) and balding...

TylerDurden1

Reaction score
I'm just curious if there are any studies of whether or not if one brother is bald or balding then the other will. I have heard that one sibling could be balding while the other could have a full head of hair. My older bro, 24, has more of my mom's greek in him, he has very dark hair. My hair is more brown, I'm 22, and recently noticed my bro is thinning a lot in the crown. So my basic question is, how correlated are siblings in terms of hair loss. Anyone here have a balding bro and themselves have a full head of hair or vice versa?

s.a.f

Reaction score
Plenty of examples of that, 1 brother with full head of hair another totally bald. M.P.B can be a genetic lottery.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, like I have told my mother has like 10 brothers, and only one of them is bald although their father was bald. So someone could claim that the baldness gene is usually inherited from the mothers side. I got only one brother (a twin) and he's balding just like me. We both have the hair type from our mothers side.

optimus prime

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yea, my brother is 30 and has a full head of hair. Also look at Prince William and Prince Harry. I appreciate Harry is younger but his hair has always looked thicker. Lottery.

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
optimus prime said:
Yea, my brother is 30 and has a full head of hair. Also look at Prince William and Prince Harry. I appreciate Harry is younger but his hair has always looked thicker. Lottery.

Plus the fact they have different fathers.

s.a.f

Reaction score
EasyEd said:
optimus prime said:
look at Prince William and Prince Harry. I appreciate Harry is younger but his hair has always looked thicker. Lottery.

Plus the fact they have different fathers.

OK then, Prince Andrew and Prince Edward?

Packers

Established Member
Reaction score
My older bro and I are both losing it while my younger brother who will be 22 later this year has a full thick head of hair and perfect hairline. Yes, im jealous...

thinshady29

Reaction score
i know these two brothers, one is 24 and one is 22. The 24 year old is pretty bald, and the 22 year old has great hair. The difference is night and day.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
my 25 year old brother is losing his hair fast...start losing it around 21 or so..no medications
im 24 and my hair loss isnt noticeable to anyone yet...i start losing it right before my 23rd birthday.
my 19 year old brother has some thinning already....he isnt on any meds
I have a 14 year old brother...my guess is hell prob have some hair loss too...although right now he has a very thick coarse head of hair..

obviously the more blading male members in your family the more likely it is you will bald....in this case since since all 3 of us have had some thinning and my dad is bald...its pretty likely my 14yo brother will thin as well.

s.a.f

Reaction score
I work with 2 brothers one is 28 with a perfect nw1 the other is 24 with a nw4, and guess which one looks oldest? :thumbdown2:

BobbyChalfont

Established Member
Reaction score
A more interesting question would be is male pattern baldness always seen in pairs of identical twins.

If yes, male pattern baldness is purely down to genetics
If no, male pattern baldness is also caused by environmental factors.

Anybody know any balding identical twins?

s.a.f

Reaction score
Yes Ian and Pete on the Stophairlossnow forum. Twins with an identical hairloss pattern.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
o yah...i know too twins...they are not identical though...both have some recession but one has a lot more thinning throughout the top of his head than the other...its kinda weird.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
I know twins too, me and my brother... both have the same kind of thinning with no temple recession.

Itsonlyinmyhead

Established Member
Reaction score
Well Im 24, my bro is 26(almost 27) and he has much more advanced hairloss than me, my hair is probably better than his when he was 20. So he is more advanced BUT we have the same pattern.

Something which you have got to consider is that brothers will not always have the same father, there is some kind of pecentage stat about this!

BobbyChalfont

Established Member
Reaction score
Itsonlyinmyhead said:
Well Im 24, my bro is 26(almost 27) and he has much more advanced hairloss than me, my hair is probably better than his when he was 20. So he is more advanced BUT we have the same pattern.

Something which you have got to consider is that brothers will not always have the same father, there is some kind of pecentage stat about this!

Even if they DID have the same father and same mother, there are billions upon billions of different genetic combinations. That's why you can only run real tests on identical twins (preferably who have been seperated at birth to rule out any environmental factors) - their genetic make-up is IDENTICAL. If all identical twins suffer from the same pattern of balding as their siblings, then it proves that male pattern baldness is purely down to genetics. Masturbation, obesity, homosexuality and all the other crazy theories people throw around these boards, aren't a factor.