should we lift to failure? check this out

CCS

Reaction score
I'll give it a try. I'll lift to failure once or twice a week, just one set at the end, and pick weight and rep numbers well short of failure that allow me to do a lot more volume. On my fast twitch days, I'll just stop a rep or two early, and give myself more time to recover so I can get in 5 sets. What do you guys think?

http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/failure.htm

Objectives and Methods of Training
For bodybuilders, the object of training is muscular hypertrophy. The methods used to accomplish this objective are dictated by various training principles, most notably the principle of progressive overload. Fatigue, and occasionally failure, are unavoidable by-products of these methods. Viewing fatigue and/or failure as an objective of training (as many bodybuilders do) is masochistic and counterproductive.

The hallmarks of successful training are long-term consistency and progression. But progression must be gradual- very gradual- if it is to be consistent. Many athletes insist on always taking a set to utter failure, even if it's not necessary to achieve a new personal record. But these same athletes neglect to project these gains into the future, which reveals the impossibility of continuing these gains. As an example, if you manage to put 5 pounds a week on your squat, this equates to 20 pounds a month, and 240 pounds a year. If this could be continued for even three years, you would be a national level powerlifter, with size to go along with it! A better approach is to achieve very small increases in load on a regular basis, even though you won't reach failure. These smaller increases are easier for the body to adapt to, and recuperate from. Taking each and every set to complete failure is like trying to run a marathon at sprint speed- after a very short period of sprinting, you'll have to slow down considerably, if you expect to finish the race.

The Downside of One Set to Failure
As stated earlier, few training practices or techniques are good or bad in the absolute sense. Most often, it's a matter of application and context. Performing all sets to failure (or, trying to) is particularly problematic, for the following reasons:

1) Insufficient training volume for hypertrophy development

Many studies have confirmed that metabolic changes associated with muscular hypertrophy are best instigated through loading by high volumes, whereas neural adaptations are best brought about through high intensity loads.

Training volume is calculated in pounds lifted per unit of time. If you plan to lift a certain weight for 5 sets of 5 reps, only the last set would approach concentric failure- if you went to failure on the first set, the subsequent sets would have to be performed with significantly less weight. This decreases volume, which can negatively impact muscular hypertrophy. International strength coach Charles Poliquin observes that for any two athletes on the same basic program, the athlete who uses a higher volume will have greater hypertrophy. This observation may be due in part to increased levels of anabolic hormones which are associated with multi-set (as opposed to single set) training.

A second factor to consider with respect to the training load is that there is a limit to how long you can achieve progressions in intensity, but increases in volume can be achieved for a much longer period. For example, after about 9-10 years of solid training experience, you'll arrive at (or very close to) your maximum lifts (1RM's). Past this point, it becomes nearly impossible to increase the training load through increases in intensity. It's much more feasible at this point to increase training volume (by adding reps and/or sets). In this way, you can continue to make gains in muscle mass.

2) Injury potential, both acute and chronic, increases

Noted exercise scientist Paul Ward warns that training to failure results in ischemic reperfusion, or oxygen deprivation, followed by oxygen perfusion. This results in massive free-radical damage to DNA and cell membranes.

International Sports Sciences Association co-founder Dr. Sal Arria cautions that many soft tissue injuries occur when failure terminates a repetition in mid-stroke. "When the weight on the bar exceeds the muscle's ability to lift it, something has to give and usually, it's the musculotendonous junction." One of the most important functions of a spotter is to stay alert and keep the bar moving in order to avoid such injuries, according to Arria.

According, to powerlifting legend Fred Hatfield, if fatigue is so great that stabilizers and synergists (which typically tire faster than the prime movers) become too fatigued to allow maintenance of proper form, you're asking for trouble.

CCS

Reaction score
Summary of article:
1. Lots of free radicals are produced when you go to failure.
2. Gaines are proportional to work done, not max weight lifted.
3. You can get very strong fast without going to failure. (I know this from chin ups and running, but I never applied it to lifting)
4. If you hit failure in the middle of a rep, and stop your motion, you have a much higher risk of injuring yourself.

I'm going to give it a try. I'm not sure if I should do 3, 4, 5, or 6 sets. It probably does not matter, as long as it feels like I got an ideal workout when I do it. I'll do 2/3 my max reps for a weight and keep doing sets until I get close to failure on my last one, but I'll only go to failure on one set per week with a spotter, and I'll do 3 workouts per week.

Monday: 95 pounds, 6 sets of 15, 30 second rests (max reps? Was 22)
Wednesday: 115 pounds, 5 sets of 12, 60 second rests (I can do 25 reps)
Friday, 135 pounds, 4 sets of 8, 90 second rests (max reps? 12? 15?)

I'll also add and remove 2.5 pounds to each side each set to change things up.

Sounds good, but I need to mix incline and decline in there somehow.

CCS

Reaction score
and no more late night workouts for me. I hate it when I'm tired and want to sleep and am so hungry from my workout. I need to keep eating for 6 hours after a workout. Not nonstop, but every few hours. And I hate it when I fall asleep on my arm, and know the muscles in it were probably starved of blood last night. If they are going starve, it better be at least 6 hours after the workout, since those 6 hours, and especially the first 2 hours, are the most critical.

AssignmentZero

Established Member
Reaction score
I like to keep fit and I usually workout till failure. By failure I don't mean overexersion, I just mean keep pushing yourself until you really can't lift that weight.

This also increases my heartrate which helps to stay fit and not put on too much muscle.

So many times in the gym I see people do like 8reps and then stop, even though they still could push themselves to do 2-4 more. I just think that using the proper weight with proper technique and pushing yourself to the max really increases the benefit of a workout rather than doing too much weight than you can handle and using perpetual motions to lift it like I see so many people do.

powersam

Reaction score
i've always lifted to failure. i actually do a full workout to failure then come back after an hours rest and do it again. but i rest for far longer in between sets than your meant to.

that doesnt mean its better for results. i just like the way it makes the muscles feel the day after.i've never had to worry about things like that too much though because i've always put on muscle pretty easily, runs in the family.