Should I use a hairdryer on a mixed synthetic with bio hair system?

Nuntius

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, several months ago I had a hair system fitted by a salon. At some point I'd like to learn how to do my own maintenance, but am happy to return ever few weeks at moment for a re-install. The system is a mixture of bio and synthetic hair (I was told that grey is very hard to source for bio hair??). I've had different hair dressers each time I've been, and some are happy to use a hair dryer on synthetic hair and others say it is best air dried. After washing my hair at home I've got into the habit of using a very low heat at a distance to just get excess moisture out and then let it air dry. I just wondered if there are others here who have synthetic hair (either a mixture like mine or fully) and if so what you do and would recommend. My only concern is whether air drying might weaken the bonds or damage the hair, but that does not seem likely...or any more likely than on a humid day. Thanks!

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
1) Human hair is not hard to source; that's bullshit. It's just more expensive, depending on the percentage of it.
2) The benefit of synthetic grey is that it doesn't take color. So if your system fades, it can be recolored without losing the grey hair.
3) Heat is bad for ALL hair, so while it is best to air dry your system, a little low, indirect heat to speed up the process won't hurt it.
4) "air drying might weaken the bonds or damage the hair" you meant blow-drying, right? Again, a little bit, no. If the greys start to melt, yes, too far.

Nuntius

My Regimen
Reaction score
1) Human hair is not hard to source; that's bullshit. It's just more expensive, depending on the percentage of it.
2) The benefit of synthetic grey is that it doesn't take color. So if your system fades, it can be recolored without losing the grey hair.
3) Heat is bad for ALL hair, so while it is best to air dry your system, a little low, indirect heat to speed up the process won't hurt it.
4) "air drying might weaken the bonds or damage the hair" you meant blow-drying, right? Again, a little bit, no. If the greys start to melt, yes, too far.
Thanks...I can't make up my mind about the synthetic hair. I think under some types of lighting it does look less natural than bio hair. On the other hand, it really keeps its structure without a lot of messing about. I have rather got used to it. Frankly, I'm in my 60s and I'm not that bothered if a few people suspect. I think it looks good and that is what matters. (I had a new passport photo taken in one of those booths today. I was really pleased with it. It's something I used to slightly dread)...It's funny how with women it is socially acceptable to wear false hair, though it used to be so for men (some 200 years ago): high status ones anyway. Perhaps that will change as so many younger guys are wearing hair systems now; and people seem to be more live and let live.