Should I try to hold on to my hair or let it go (pic)

cantholdmedown

Established Member
Reaction score
Shaved my head #1 two months ago and kinda liked it, I think I am around Norwood 2.5? I am only on nizoral atm but am still losing it fast. Should I go all out to try and keep my hair with the big 3 or does anyone think I'd look good completely bald/close shaved?

Thanks

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
You look pretty good with it cut that short.

I'd try finasteride if I were you, you might have no sides, keep what you have, and some regrowth.

But you do look pretty good with the short hair.

Boondock

Reaction score
Looks pretty good.

Keep it short; soon as it starts to recede beyond NW3, buzz it right down.

cuebald

Reaction score
I'd try finasteride and nizoral, with the goal of maintaining (and possible minor regrowth).
You might be able to keep the NW2.5 for over a decade - a NW2.5 is almost a "full head" of hair for people who aren't Norwood spotters. I think you could grow it out and do whatever you wanted with it.

Wouldn't bother with minoxidil and wouldn't bother with an "obsessive" regimen either. There's a chance finasteride won't work well, no point in analysing every follicle if that's the case. If it looks worse after 6 months, I'd get used to the buzzed look. It looks alright on you.

cantholdmedown

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

I think I will try finasteride, but ugh those guys at propeciahelp have really put me off. Will be hard not to think about sides even If im not getting any. I will post an after pic in a few months If I get any regrowth.

Thanks again.

Boondock

Reaction score
propeciahelp are evil.

Just try it out. If you get sides, quit. If you don't, don't.

Mens Rea

Reaction score
Boondock said:
propeciahelp are evil.

Just try it out. If you get sides, quit. If you don't, don't.

Why do ppl on here think this?

Its a site full of people who have been fucked up by finasteride/propecia. its the tablet that can be evil

i was on finasteride for a year, no use, no off it and libido still fucked up. off it 4 months now. i can certainyl see how people have had far worse experiences. im glad i gave it a go but honestly, its powerful sh*t and pretty damn dangerous if you ask me.

Mens Rea

Reaction score
dudemon said:
cantholdmedown said:
Thanks for the advice.

I think I will try finasteride, but ugh those guys at propeciahelp have really put me off. Will be hard not to think about sides even If im not getting any. I will post an after pic in a few months If I get any regrowth.

Thanks again.

Propecia is only 1mg of Finasteride (finasteride). Imagine older men who have prostate problems and have to take the 5mg version of finasteride called "Proscar"

Even they only get sides like 15% of the time, I think.

I have been on 1mg finasteride since 1998, and have never really experienced any sides from it. I took Propecia for the first 8 years, then switched to generic Proscar because its the same drug but 1/5th the cost. I just have to cut each 5mg pill into 4ths.

(I know 5ths would be exactly 1.0mg, but 5ths are too hard to cut - and there is no difference between taking 1.0mg perday vs. 1.25mg per day)

One time I thought I had sides (and this was way before the "propeciahelp" website was around), but I continued to take it, and the "sides" went away. They were most likely all in my head.

Anyways, finasteride (Propecia) has never affected my libido or anything like that. I have no idea what guys are talking about when they say they have gotten "brain fog" from it. I never experienced that. Nor have I ever experienced anything remotely related to "gyno" or any of the other list of sides that some guys claim they get.

So, give it a try. You have nothing to fear, and nothing to lose. If you do get sides, stop taking it, and the sides and their symptoms will go away. (I'm guessing that about 98% of the time they will). If you don't get any, then you're good to go on it. It will stabilize your hairloss. It has stabilized mine since 1998.

HTH

Good post

i never got brain fog or any of that crap either. TBH you cant really tell how your body will react until you try it.

i think the thing that worries me is how little info on sides we really have - alot of people n that site have been left infertile or with permanent erection problems etc. that sh*t is real. the stats such as 98% ppl return back to normal are questionable really (sadly) atlhough i still hold our good hope my sex drive will eventualyl return to normal

Vox

Established Member
Reaction score
Colin297 said:
Its a site full of people who have been f***ed up by finasteride/propecia. its the tablet that can be evil

i was on finasteride for a year, no use, no off it and libido still f***ed up. off it 4 months now. i can certainyl see how people have had far worse experiences. im glad i gave it a go but honestly, its powerful sh*t and pretty damn dangerous if you ask me.
So true but no one wants to talk. There are recent reports about permanent potency damage.

From wikipedia:
In December 2008, the Swedish Medical Products agency concluded a safety investigation of Propecia and subsequently advised that the use of Propecia may result in irreversible sexual dysfunction. The Agency's updated safety information lists difficulty in obtaining an erection that persists indefinitely, even after the discontinuation of Propecia, as a possible side effect of the drug.

The UK's Medical and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) say that erectile dysfuction that persists once use of Propecia has stopped has been reported to them.

From Propecia Side Effects:
Propeciasideeffects.com was formed to spread the word about the undocumented potentially irreversible side effects caused by using Propecia (finasteride) 1mg each day. A number of males have suffered erectile dysfunction, impotence, low libido and gynecomestica after using Propecia. The shattering truth for these males is that the side effects did not disappear after ceasing finasteride. The shattering truth is that years later these individuals are still suffering in silence with a seriously reduced quality of life due to erectile dysfunction and impotence. It is not know exactly what causes these changes and how to screen individuals before treatment.

:shock:

toocoolforhair

Established Member
Reaction score
You look good with the buzzcut and you'd probably look good completely bald. I was in the same position as you about 18 months ago. I just opted to buzz it down and then shave when necessary.

Looking at some of the possible side effects of medication I'd rather be bald than have erectile dysfunction, low libido or depression. If one day I want to have hair I'll just get a good hair piece. Some of them are virtually undetectable now.

FSHGLD

Established Member
Reaction score
You've a pretty similar hairline to me though I'm guessing your density is a good bit better than mine. I'd consider myself to be a NW4
My hairline doesn't bother me, but the nearly bald spot at the back really does, so if I were you I'd consider getting 1 month of generic finasteride cheaply from the internet, try it for the full month (or two months of 0.5) and if you feel normal, continue with it. Think about it, side effects are statistically extremely rare (except for watery jizz...everyone seems to get that) and you've a 90% chance of at least keeping your hair....pretty good odds for a cheap pill. I think you'd look pretty good bald, you've a well defined face, but in reality, a lot of girls under the age of 30 are pretty grossed out by bald heads..
My experience of losing hair has been that, while you get less self-conscious about it over time, you don't really get totally 'used' to it. I decided about 2 months ago that losing my hair is something that has obviously been bothering me over the last 5 years, but I chose to ignore my feelings, rather than do something about it when it would have been easiest to get results (though I do seem to be making progress now).
If you're even asking that question, I think the answer is you should try to hold on to it. Why not at least try? You've got access to a lot of information on this forum, and I would have started years ago if I had known about it. All I could ever find were dodgy websites trying to sell you stuff

sandovalusa

Established Member
Reaction score
Keep your options open by shaving it but staying on treatment at the same time.

If you realize its a lost cause then stop treatment.

If you realize you can't stand the clean shave then keep going with treatment to keep what u got.