Should I try propecia/ finasteride instead? very aggressive hairloss

easynow

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I asked in this forum a while back about going onto dutasteride straight away, well I did so. I'm a month in but I'm starting to get a slight pain in my right pec area, and I'm fairly sure I can feel a hardish lump about 2cm when I do the "is it real or pseudo-gyno" test. There is also a sort of tingling sensation that comes and goes. Bearing in mind this is after a month.

I don't want to be quitting it unecessarily but obviously between moobs and hair there is no choice. Did anyone else experience this/ still does?

I'm thinking of trying finasteride instead, but if you look at my story in the link below I have quite aggressive loss for any age, let alone for a 22 year old, and I'm not sure it would be enough.

I know there is also Nolvadex, Arimidex etc but 1. I'm not sure whether these will cause hairloss and 2. The sides sound very bad, (after all they are cancer drugs, so compared to THAT any side isn't so bad, but not for baldness).

Thanks for reading,

Pondle

Reaction score
If you are concerned about gyno, you should see a doctor. Even though dutasteride possibly carries a higher risk of sides than finasteride, the adverse reactions seen in older men taking Avodart or Proscar (finasteride 5mg) for BPH were similar, and gyno is very rare even for this group - 0.5% versus 0.2% for placebo at 6 months, 1.1% vs. 0.3% for placebo at 13-18 months.

Personally I would always prefer to start with finasteride and see how you get on with that. It is the more conservative, cheaper option.

easynow

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Pondle

I remember you saying that most people try finasteride out first. Would you do the same though in my situation, given the severity of the loss and my age?
Where can I get those figures from btw?

Pondle

Reaction score
Propecia is the only approved oral pill for male pattern baldness. Doctors will rarely prescribe Avodart for hair loss regardless of the severity of your loss. If you want the full details on Avodart, Google for the product monograph or visit http://emc.medicines.org.uk/

paximperia

Established Member
Reaction score
Personally I think you should start with finasteride. It will hopefully at least stop the hair loss, probably some hair regrowth, and if you are still unsatisfied with the results after a year then you can switch. You will still have saved your hair from getting any worse, so you won't have lost anything by trying finasteride first. On the other hand if you get gyno from dutasteride and it was unnecessary then you have lost something.