Should I tell my girlfriend I'm concerned about my hair loss

Paulgreer

Reaction score
So guys, my crown is very thin now, and I have never really talked about it with my girlfriend before, but I'm sure she has noticed at this point. Up till now I have never felt comfortable discussing it with her, but lately it's getting hard to hide it, I have been on the big three for a while now, and applying the rogaine is hard enough to conceal, but now, I have added RU and mixing the batches and weighing the powder has me worried she will think I'm a junky if she ever sees that stuff, so now I'm thinking maybe I should just tell her that it really does bother me and open up about my treatments, but 'm almost afraid that she will think I'm insecure. What do you guys think? Are you open with your girlfriends about this stuff, if so how did they react?

Man in Space

Experienced Member
Reaction score
NO NO NO!!

My friend the only way to deal with this is that if it ever comes up is to make a joke about and make it no big deal.

Women love confidence. If you make out its getting you down i cans assure you women do not dig that sh*t. Telling a woman your vulnerabilities will give you the reverse midas touch when it comes to sex. You used to smoothing her over and she butters up a treat? Well now every time you touch her she will dry up like a stale biscuit.

Believe me, just be cool if it comes to it, if it ever comes up just be honest, dont get defensive and just own it!

Rawtashk

Reaction score
Don't say anything about it unless she brings up the subject. It's not like you can do anything about it. It's not extra weight that you can just diet and exercise away.

Hopefully she would be understanding about the situation. If she gives you sh*t about it, then say "Ok, let's go out...but you can't put on any makeup." When she refuses, then say "Exactly", and hope she gets the point.

Paulgreer

Reaction score
Man in Space said:
NO NO NO!!

My friend the only way to deal with this is that if it ever comes up is to make a joke about and make it no big deal.

Women love confidence. If you make out its getting you down i cans assure you women do not dig that sh*t. Telling a woman your vulnerabilities will give you the reverse midas touch when it comes to sex. You used to smoothing her over and she butters up a treat? Well now every time you touch her she will dry up like a stale biscuit.

Believe me, just be cool if it comes to it, if it ever comes up just be honest, dont get defensive and just own it!

Yeah I see your point, loved the biscuit analogy BTW, so funny!

Paulgreer

Reaction score
Rawtashk said:
Don't say anything about it unless she brings up the subject. It's not like you can do anything about it. It's not extra weight that you can just diet and exercise away.

Hopefully she would be understanding about the situation. If she gives you sh*t about it, then say "Ok, let's go out...but you can't put on any makeup." When she refuses, then say "Exactly", and hope she gets the point.

Yeah I know right, the bad thing is that sometimes they act as if it is like extra weight or something, but even worse! The makeup thing gave me a good laugh, you guys are pretty funny! BTW man I saw your weight loss pics, those were awesome, you really got cut up!

kc444

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm going to disagree, although I haven't taken the advice personally. Telling her about it doesn't make you less confident.. it may be the opposite, in fact. Not talking about it/actively avoiding it may be a sign that you are self-conscious and sensitive about it. Women are not as stupid as we think. It all depends on how you choose to deal with it.. if you act like it makes you feel vulnerable, it will be unattractive. If you tell her that you've decided to address it because you don't like how it looks and you don't make a big deal about it, it will be positive.

Man in Space

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Im not saying hide it, im simply saying let it come up of its own volition. Definately dont go out of your way to hide it, that also shows insecurity, just adress it when it comes up and make sure you are in your best form.

gh05

Established Member
Reaction score
Sad though isn't it that a woman won't be attracted if you show any weakness or insecurity. I'd rather find a woman who will like me whatever - wherever i am feeling strong or weak.

cs2

Reaction score
Dont hide it. Talk to her.
Telling your gf that you concerned about your hair loss.
It just like a girl told his bf that she want to lose weight.

She can be your supporter.

DonaldAnderson

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Man in Space said:
NO NO NO!!

HAHAHA....

:agree: I agree.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I didn't tell my girlfriend until after I knew she loved me haha.

Now that she knows I harrass her with "does my hair look better niow than before" remarks. Not a brilliant show of confidence but hey I like to get an outside opinion from somone who notices me more.

gh05

Established Member
Reaction score
Thom said:

Now that she knows I harrass her with "does my hair look better niow than before" remarks. Not a brilliant show of confidence but hey I like to get an outside opinion from somone who notices me more.

warning...my ex partner of many years cheated on me (with a severely balding guy lol) after I'd done the same thing. It is true, women tend to dry up (as man in space stated) once a man shows insecurity or weakness. I wish that wasn't the case but unfortunately it is. If there are women out there more evolved and caring than that and you have one as a partner then you are a lucky man. But be careful.

gh05

Established Member
Reaction score
Thom said:

warning...my ex partner of many years cheated on me (with a severely balding guy lol) after I'd done the same thing. It is true, women tend to dry up (as man in space stated) once a man shows insecurity or weakness. I wish that wasn't the case but unfortunately it is. If there are women out there more evolved and caring than that and you have one as a partner then you are a lucky man. But be careful.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well I don't really complain about it or act depressed, it's just more of an obsessive compulsive thing. I always ask her for feedback if it improved. She doesn't seem to get mad, just thinks it's funny how much I care about it when she thinks other balding guys don't.

Like I told her, we all care about it. Some are just more effected by balding than others.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I dont get why you would you even bring it up unless she asked you about. What makes you think she even cares?
So my answer is no unless she asks then sure why not talk about it I guess? Its probably a lot more a big deal to you then her I mean your losing your hair not her.
I also disagree about all guys caring. Trust me some guys could care less honestly and I really dont blame them there is not much you can do about it even if you did. I think most guys do, but certainly not all of them its just something that plays on your esteem and your mind a lot.

kc444

Established Member
Reaction score
cs2 said:
Dont hide it. Talk to her.
Telling your gf that you concerned about your hair loss.
It just like a girl told his bf that she want to lose weight.

She can be your supporter.

In that case, maybe we should just keep it to ourselves.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think if he wants to discuss it then he should.

It's all about how he brings it up! If you come off emotional like you're revealing a terminal illness she might think you're vain and be annoyed but if you just say, "hey, have you noticed I'm thinning?" I don't think she will care.

Just my opinion though. It's all relative to the person, he knows her best.

Man in Space

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I like you Thom you seem like a really nice guy but I gotta disagree bud!

I remember bringing it up with a girlfriend and she was turned off. Not by the hair, she knew what i looked like an it wasnt bad at all at that time but it was starting. But she was turned off by the insecurity, when she met me i was very outgoing and confident and she could see i was losing that. After i brought it up it wasnt long before it started being thrown at me in arguments!

I agree its nice to think shell understand but if you sell it the worng way it can seriously upset a relationship dynamic. This is why i say beware as some of the worse things happen with good intentions!

If it aint broke, dont break it op!! let it come up of its own volition and own it when it does

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Well, I think we could agree that it is all relative to the girl. I'm sorry to here about that, that sounds terrible. My girlfriend hasn't thrown it at me in fights yet but that would be awful.

I can see your point, perhaps not saying anything at all could come off as more confident. A "we both know but don't think it's big enough to bring up" attitude would work well. Now if he wants to stay over or she comes over regularly she'll end up noticing if he uses minoxidil. I had to tell my girlfriend since I put it on every night. Didn't want her to wonder why i come back from the bathroom with wet hair, smelling like rubbing alcohol ha.