Should I take Avodart?

Ian Curtis

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive been taking finasteride 5 mg daily for 4 months with no sides and I want to step up and take something more effective to inhibit DHT? Do I buy Avodart? Or does the 5 mg of finasteride suffice?

T

Timi

dutasteride No

take 1mg finasteride and minoxidil (Foam) all other is sh*t

Timi

dave25

Reaction score
Apparently dutasteride gives sides to a whole lot of people !!! my personal advice: don't even think about resorting to dutasteride unless , of course, you want to start popping two pills a day ( the second one being v**** )..
wait for some effective topicals to hit the market and then drop propecia as well!!!

Ian Curtis

Established Member
Reaction score
well, I know that dutasteride has a lot of sides, but does the benefits overcome them?I could give it a try.
Waiting for something to take propecia's place is just ridiculous, hair loss research is almost as slow as cancer's... :(

Dogs3

Experienced Member
Reaction score
im in your same boat, Ian... Based off of all the research though, im going to take dutasteride. Im not worried about the sexual sides, and it is FDA approved, right? Maybe not for hair loss (yet) but for bph, its not THAT dangerous, if it was the fda wouldnt approve it, right? That seems logical.

Theres enough snakeoil out there to last a lifetime that people use on this forum that isnt fda approved and you dont hear anyone complaining about those product's side effects. Go for it.

Ian Curtis

Established Member
Reaction score
I dont know wot dose to use, or how often to use, there isnt as much info on dutasteride as on finasteride.Wot dosage would be slightly more powerful than 5 mg. of finasteride?
I was also thinking of alterning between finasteride and dutasteride, to start getting use to,some sort of damage control(i dont wann a shrunk penis or boobs, Im already slender, it would be awkward, :woot: )
I just need to find my best combo of drugs....

Dogs3

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i know what you mean.
.5 is the standard dose of dutasteride btw. I just ordered from inhousepharmacy. Everyone here takes .5, its not cut or anything its just the amount 1 pill comes in. Some people take it every day, some every other day. As for me, im going to try it every other day and finasteride every day because ive been on finasteride for awhile already.

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Ian Curtis said:
Ive been taking finasteride 5 mg daily for 4 months with no sides and I want to step up and take something more effective to inhibit DHT?
Four months is nothing in this game. My advice, for what it's worth, is to stick with the finasteride for at least a year and then assess whether your hair needs the extra 5ar II inhibition that dutasteride provides.

Have you considered adding minoxidil to the fray?

Slarti

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
dave25 said:
Apparently dutasteride gives sides to a whole lot of people !!!
I believe that in clinical trials the frequency of side-effects from 0.5mg of dutasteride/day was broadly comparable to that produced by a 5mg/day dose of finasteride.

dave25 said:
my personal advice: don't even think about resorting to dutasteride unless , of course, you want to start popping two pills a day ( the second one being v**** )
I've taken a daily dose of dutasteride since August '04 and haven't developed any such problem.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I've lost all libido on dutasteride... but I can still get it up.

Works wonders on the hair, though.

dave25

Reaction score
Ian , I had suggested that you drop propecia as soon as an effective topical comes out .. never advised you to stop propecia and wait until a new proven topical is marketed

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Dogs3 said:
aplunk did you take generics or the real avodart?

I'm still taking genuine Avodart... I've been taking it for about 2 years now... with a break in between.

Dogs3

Experienced Member
Reaction score
do u get it through wallgreens or something on a prescription..If so, how much does a 1months supply run you? Ive been asking around, no one seems to know. Im looking into getting a scipt from the medical wellness center and getting real avodart from wallgreens but i dont know what the prices are. Can you give me a general idea?

pinkfloyd7

Established Member
Reaction score
i'm scared though. Isn't it true a lot of people have had their hairlines destroyed when taking advodart???

iamnaked

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think dutasteride is great. No side effects for this happy customer.

And if my hormones are 'fucked up' I sure haven't seen any downside.