Should I switch to generic?

Primex

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been on Propecia for over 2 years now. No side effects and I'm pretty confident that it's maintained my level of hair. No growth, but at least I haven't lost anything either. I've gone back into repayment for my student loans and I my rent has increased a lot, so I can't afford the monthly payments of $60-$70 for Propecia. My doctor won't prescribe anything else but that cause she doesn't seem to know any better even after I tell her. Now I'm worried that if I stop using the brand name Propecia and start on something from like United Pharmacies that I'll totally loose everything that I've kept for the past couple years. Do you guys think that switching will be a problem?

Jack23-

Established Member
Reaction score
Finpecia is EXACTLY the same as Propecia and a third of the price. I wouldn't worry and get on Finpecia.

Primex

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
Jack23- said:
Finpecia is EXACTLY the same as Propecia and a third of the price. I wouldn't worry and get on Finpecia.

Unless its bogus garbage.

Go to a pharmacy for generic proscar (no generic propecia yet)

See, that's what I'm worried about with the Finpecia. But for the Proscar, don't you need a prescription for it at a pharmacy? My derm won't go for it.

Cassin

Reaction score
Primex said:
Cassin said:
Jack23- said:

Unless its bogus garbage.

Go to a pharmacy for generic proscar (no generic propecia yet)

See, that's what I'm worried about with the Finpecia. But for the Proscar, don't you need a prescription for it at a pharmacy? My derm won't go for it.

To hell with derms...see a general practitioner like everyone else.

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
i flipped from proscar to fincar half way into treatment and ive not seen a difference,get it form united pharmacies,always been legit :)

Primex

Established Member
Reaction score
Hans Gruber said:
i flipped from proscar to fincar half way into treatment and ive not seen a difference,get it form united pharmacies,always been legit :)

Yeah, that's what I'll probably end up doing. I'm just afraid of losing a lot of ground. Why Propecia gotta be so expensive?

Jack23-

Established Member
Reaction score
Because it's a vanity drug. Untill they do a study proving hairloss causes depression through lack of self esteem etc then we will be paying ridiculous prices for Propecia.

:youbet:

treadstone

Established Member
Reaction score
My eyes bulged when I went to drugstore.com to look at prices for Propecia... $700+ for a one year supply! That is quite literally out of my budget. Finpecia ($120/year) is more manageable for me.

Primex

Established Member
Reaction score
How reliable is Drugstore.com? Is it real Proscar?

Francois

Reaction score
Anyone ever made some test on the finpecia to see if it's the real deal? I don't really trust indian labatory, but if it can save me 600$/year, I might try it.

Primex

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, i went to my regular doctor and he said that i had too much hair to go on Propecia. I tried to explain that I've been on Propecia for the past 2 years and that I wanted to start Proscar to cut the price considerably. He said no and that when i do start to bald to come back...grrr...urge to kill, rising... I may either have to go back to my derm, who'll give me a year prescription of Propecia or go to one of these websites. Man, this sucks.

ThinBrent

Reaction score
I've been on fincar from United Pharmacies for about 9 months and haven't noticed any significant loss or gains to most of my head, although there has definitely been some loss on my temples. The thing is, I wasn't having very noticeable loss other than to my temples before I started fincar, so I'm not convinced it's doing anything. And the stories people have about switching from non-India brand to India brand and then experiencing noticeable loss, or going the other way and then seeing noticeable gains (or at least seeing the loss stop) makes me want to try taking something that I'm 100% positive is the real thing.

So let me get this straight:
Propecia is more expensive than Proscar, which is more expensive than generic Proscar, which is more expensive than anything made in India like the fincar I was taking (which was super cheap... like $30 for 30 5mg tabs).
Propecia, Proscar, and generic Proscar are all definitely legit and can be purcharsed at most pharmacies in the US.
Assuming I could get a prescription for either one, is there any reason at all to get Propecia instead of Proscar, other than not having the inconvenience of cutting pills?
Is there any reason at all to get Proscar over generic Proscar?

If the answer to the last two questions is no, then I'm going to try to get generic Proscar, since it's still pretty cheap -- $70 on drugstore.com for 30 tabs. An extra $40 every 4-5 months for peace of mind seems like a no brainer.

Thanks.

FreeloaderUK

Established Member
Reaction score
if u can get legit generic & dont mind cutting it up then why not switch to it?

im in the UK & dont seem to be able to get proscar & there's the thing about cutting it up. mind you the simple test is watery semen- if u get that then ur meds are legit.