Should I Switch From 2% To 5% Or No ?

axel71524

My Regimen
Reaction score
good evening
I come to you because I will like your advice or opinion for my case.
A month ago, my dermatologist told me that I have androgenetic alopecia, and that I am at the beginning of stage 1 (nw1), and he prescribed me finasteride, vitamins in the form of capsules and minoxidil 2% (6 sprays a day and 6 sprays at night), yes 2%, I asked him why 2%? will that be enough for me? because I read on the net that 2% is for women while 5% for men, his answer was that 2% is enough for me and he fears 5% side effects like increased hair in the skull or other places like the back of the ear, forehead etc. I believed in him and started my treatment.

It's been a month since the start of treatment, my bottle of minoxidil 2% is coming to an end and I start asking myself a few questions, because I do not see any improvement, I see a dozen hairs (I do not have be careful if they are thin or thick) that sometimes fall, I do not know if it is the shedding effect of minoxidil or the 2% is not enough for me.

I do not know what to do, should I stay on the 2% for the rest of this year? or switch to the 5%? because I fear these side effects of the development of the hair in other places, and personally if it touches the place of the beard it is not a problem but if it starts to touch other places of my face like the forehead or well my ears, it's going to bother me.

1knox1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have no idea what your doctor means by that statement but at least he prescribed you finasteride; which will do most of the work.

Yes, go for 5%.