Should I Stop Taking 1mg Finasteride? Is It Really Safe?

kenny1999

Reaction score
OK To keep my long story short. I am 33 years old with male pattern hair loss, it started 7 years ago, I first took 1mg Finasteride (Propecia) 5 years ago. It was 2012. I did NOT continue it after the first two months because at that time, immediately after the first dose I felt slight erection problems, I could still reach orgasm and ejaculate but I did not feel very relieved after my orgasms. Sex drive was obviously decreased. An example was I almost always had full erection in the morning after a night of well sleep or during watching favorite p**rn, but after taking the medicine, it was like I did not get full erection while watching favorite p**rn and I did NOT even get ANY erection in the morning or in the middle of the night.

After two months of continual use of the drugs, I stopped it and ignored my hair loss issue for another five years till now.

Now in 2017, a few weeks ago I took a selfie of myself from the top of my head it looked SO HORRIBLE, I almost got no hair at the center of my head. I really starting to feel so depressed because of the serious hair loss that I did not notice. However, luckily I still have a lot of hair at the back and sides so it's still OK to hide the hair loss with some hair style. Then I decided to take 1mg Finasteride again.

Now I've been taking the 1mg Finasteride (Propecia) again for a week. However, I feel erection problems again, decreased sex drive, not very good orgasm (maybe a little bit like ruined orgasms), I don't feel so relieved after ejaculation, full erection is difficult to achieve

I then start to search on Google with different keywords like Finasteride, side effects, prostate etc. A lot of unexpected results come up that even include raise risks or breasts or prostate cancer that I never heard of.
One article suggested that it could lead to male breasts cancer 200 times more likely which is a shocking result to me. It's said in general breasts cancer only happens to male for 1 in 100,000 but for the group of 3,000 patients who took Finasteride , 4 of them got the rare male breast cancer which is definitely not by chance. (I forget where I saw this)

It's far more than what my family doctor told me about the side effects of 1mg Finasteride and my understanding about this drug, which is used to be curing enlarged prostate which should be a good thing.

OK.
I think I don't need to ask 100 questions, if you have read my story above. My simple question is , should I stop taking 1mg Finasteride? Does the benefit of it (reduce worries and depression in my case) outweigh the cost? When something that is FDA approved, is it mostly safe? It's not a drug with a long history, it was first approved only in 1992 (Proscar) and in 1997 (Propecia). Have scientists or researchers done enough tests on its safety?

If I connect this drug with increased risks of any cancer like breasts or prostate cancer, am I too intelligent? or am I too overreacting?? or am I more likely to over worry something that is very unlikely?

equel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well it seems very weird to me how u can experience sexual side effect so fast .. after 1 pill? and 1 week?

I mean, in studies of thousands of men .. 2 % notice side effects, and 1.5% used the placebo pill or what it was.

U sure this aint some placebo stuff going on?

kenny1999

Reaction score
Well it seems very weird to me how u can experience sexual side effect so fast .. after 1 pill? and 1 week?

I mean, in studies of thousands of men .. 2 % notice side effects, and 1.5% used the placebo pill or what it was.

U sure this aint some placebo stuff going on?

Hi . After the first pill, that means on day 1 , I could felt a bit pain on my testicle, not very serious though . The pain disappeared on day 2 but the erection problem continues. I don't put the blame to the drug itself at all, maybe some psychological effects too. But I did never have erection problems before taking this 1mg Finasteride

What do you mean by placebo? I bought this medicine from legal and authorized clinic and doctors, could they give me placebo pill??

Itsmrdave

Reaction score
What he means by placebo is, you're so worried about side effects you are getting them because you're thinking too much about it. He doesn't mean the pill is fake.

kenny1999

Reaction score
What he means by placebo is, you're so worried about side effects you are getting them because you're thinking too much about it. He doesn't mean the pill is fake.

Yes, I've read the report about Finasteride. I know what Placebo is.

The report said the rate of side effects between the group of placebo and real finasteride is similar which suggests that the side effects does not exists?

Then why it's said 2% of people will have side effects in that case?

4myfuture

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You have to give it at least 3-6 months to see if it works and determine sides. The drug is not completely benign...You have to weigh the costs versus benefits. By now, there is enough of a sample size to make a decision..People have taken this drug for years now. It is the key difference between this and something like RU/CB..The documentation is there to research. Interestingly enough, the incidence of sides were less reported back in the early days. I believe the sides and that many people get mild ones suck as less erections or more watery semen. However, I think that more widespread internet usage over the years with naturally more and more people using the drug set off a snowball effect with negative reports. Bottomline, people see more stories about bad sides, more people start thinking about them and feeling them then reporting them. And the cycle goes on and on...