Should I Start Using Dutasteride Yet?

josh7000

Established Member
Reaction score
Been using finasteride at 1.25mg a day for almost 5 months now, i'm still shedding and just wondering when if I should move onto dutasteride. I know the whole shedding can go on a long time and can take a year before seeing improvement? It;s just if it turns out to be negative shedding I really don't want to lose another 7 months worth of hair as my hair is already quite bad, I'm a norwood 3 I'd say but it's thinning really badly at the front. Should I jump to dutasteride or wait out this shed longer?

I'm currently using minoxidil morning and night, nizoral twice a week and finasteride at 1.25mg a day

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
I use Dutasteride.

It's hard to say what your results on Finasteride will be eventually since everyone responds so differently to treatment, I've realized this more and more after being into hair loss for years now.

My scalp started becoming less greasy with less hair loss around the two month mark after being on Dutasteride when I first started. You could jump on Dutasteride if you really feel you're able to go for it, I did so without ever trying Finasteride and I've been fine since then. Definitely stay on Minoxidil if you're getting results from it, the treatment does help promote maintenance apart from stimulating hair regrowth. Nizoral twice weekly OK however, you can always switch to a daily premium Ketoconazole shampoo if you wish to get the most out if it.

g.i joey

Reaction score
Same boat man, exactly 5 months in and woke up with a pimple on my hairline. Wtf is this sh*t. Constant shedding, minimal itching and I still get pimples on my hair here and there. I'm gonna ride it out though because I don't think dutasteride is a viable option for me. The whole 5ar1 playing a big role in the brain just turns me off to it.

Although, considering were basically at the same point it would be interesting to see the outcome of you hopping on dutasteride and me staying on finasteride from this point on. Anyways good luck brah!

g.i joey

Reaction score

jetlife1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sucks though, my brother was such a fkn great responder to finasteride, noticed better hair quality 3 months in, now he's been on it for around 7 years and is still going strong on his nw2. He sometimes misses a week of finasteride and there's no noticeable difference.

I read that when your initial finasteride shed or sheds hit depend on what part of the growth cycle your hair is in. That's why there is so much variation between users and why you need to give it at least a year.