Should I Start On 2% Or 5% Minoxidil?

aceofspades117

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey all, would appreciate if I can get some inputs on this. My line of reasoning is that I can always start on 2% Minoxidil and if it loses it's effectiveness eventually, I would just up the dosage to 3% then 5% Minoxidil thus helping me regrow/maintain my hair for a longer period of time (this is just an assumption, I'm not sure if this would happen, please feel free to correct me otherwise). I am mainly having thinning hair in the crown area and a minor recession in my hairline.

Would you recommend I start on 2% minoxidil or go straight for the 5%?

Tosh

My Regimen
Reaction score
From what I've read the rate of new hair growth tapers off after about 2 years for 2% and 5% Minoxidil. This however doesn't necessary mean your body is developing a resistance to minoxidil, it might simply have fully saturated your scalp or the chemical responsible for hair loss are increasing over time.

I'd recommend starting at 5%. Using 5% Minoxidil will allow you to see results earlier along with gaining a better hair count.

aceofspades117

My Regimen
Reaction score
From what I've read the rate of new hair growth tapers off after about 2 years for 2% and 5% Minoxidil. This however doesn't necessary mean your body is developing a resistance to minoxidil, it might simply have fully saturated your scalp or the chemical responsible for hair loss are increasing over time.

I'd recommend starting at 5%. Using 5% Minoxidil will allow you to see results earlier along with gaining a better hair count.

Thank you for the reply. Would that mean though, that Minoxidil will stop helping to maintain hair after two years? Or does that mean that it will continue keeping those hairs assuming that the balding process does not catch up so soon?

Tosh

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. Would that mean though, that Minoxidil will stop helping to maintain hair after two years? Or does that mean that it will continue keeping those hairs assuming that the balding process does not catch up so soon?

I just meant that you won't see extra hair after 2 years, it should still be doing its job by helping to maintain it.

aceofspades117

My Regimen
Reaction score
Also, would applying it once a day do the job? Twice a day seems to be a little hard considering my work schedule.

Obesecat

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Also, would applying it once a day do the job? Twice a day seems to be a little hard considering my work schedule.

Technically yes. Since minoxidil has a half life of 22 hrs. However the company recommends twice a day to get full effectiveness