Should I start dutasteride?

googler

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am 21 years old I have been taking 1mg of finasteride (propecia) daily for nearly 2 years with rogaine and my hair is probably better than it would have been if I had done nothing about it, but I have noticed my hair has started to thin a lot in the past 6 months, maybe the finasteride is losing its effectiveness?

My finasteride is up in a few weeks and I am thinking of ordering some dutasteride, would you guys advise switching to dutasteride? How much and how often should I take if I do order it, and are there any side effects? Is there a better chance of regrowing hair with dutasteride? Could you recommend some sites that sell it at a reasonable price.

To be honest I haven't experienced any side effects while taking finesteride.

I am a diffuse thinner btw.

Thanks for your opinions.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
googler, what is your Norwood?
if you need regrowth on temples trying xandrox 15 might be a better option than using dutasteride (provided you continue on finasteride).
if you are severe diffuse (scalp visible on pictures taken from the top) then dutasteride is better.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Do you feel that it might be a shed? Or that finasteride has run its course and lost its efficacy, which is not likely in less than 2 years?

IDOASIS

Established Member
Reaction score
googler said:
Hey guys, I am 21 years old I have been taking 1mg of finasteride (propecia) daily for nearly 2 years with rogaine and my hair is probably better than it would have been if I had done nothing about it, but I have noticed my hair has started to thin a lot in the past 6 months, maybe the finasteride is losing its effectiveness?

My finasteride is up in a few weeks and I am thinking of ordering some dutasteride, would you guys advise switching to dutasteride? How much and how often should I take if I do order it, and are there any side effects? Is there a better chance of regrowing hair with dutasteride? Could you recommend some sites that sell it at a reasonable price.

To be honest I haven't experienced any side effects while taking finesteride.

I am a diffuse thinner btw.

Thanks for your opinions.

Usually it doesn't happen after 2 years but it could be.
The side affects are individually, I have had side effects on propecia and non on dutasteride.
Sites that sell dutasteride:

http://www.unitedpharmacies.com/custome ... utasteride

http://www.inhousepharmacies.com/

Z

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm in a similar position after 18 months on finasteride.

I ahve only got gradually worse - especially in the temples and hairline.

I was horrified the other night when i discovered a blatant thinning patch on my crown about 2 inches in diameter. I had never really had any problems there before.

So I have ordered 6 months dutasteride supply from http://www.pharma-orders.com.

Hope it works out.

KipWinger

Established Member
Reaction score
now i am part of dark side too. i will use dutasteride for 3 months to see what happens if it does nothing maybe i will stop becouse i have a little affraid of this drug.

googler

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking at the norwood scale I am probably a norwood 2 but I am thinning all over (its really noticeable in bright rooms), my hair has receeded nearly an inch since I was 19 too.

Guys I have been on rogaine for nearly 3 years and finasteride for nearly 2, if I am to be honest I dont even think I've had any regrowth, maybe it just stablized my hair a bit. I continued using both because they were relatively inexpensive and I experienced no side effects. I thought they might be working and I might as well stick with them. But in the past 6 months my scalp has started to become more obvious, and I have to comb my hair a certain way to cover it up.

If my hair stayed exactly like it is for the rest of my life I would be happy but its getting thinner. My main issue with avodart is thats its expensive and I guess its not as safe as finasteride, I dont want to have kids in ten years time deformed because I took some pills.

I might look into the xandrox 15 too.

Also if I switch from finasteride to avodart, will I not shed after a few weeks because the finasteride is no longer in my system?

Slartibartfast

Reaction score
Some people shed after switching, though more likely after several months rather than mere weeks, and, then again, some don't have a shed. And if it is a shed then the hair will (eventually) grow back, hopefully stronger than before.

On one of your other points: for God's sake, everyone make sure you don't get a woman pregnant whilst you're on dutasteride. It might have been extremely high doses of it that caused foetal abnormalities in the experiments, but we're still going to have to drop this particular medication long before knocking anybody up.

Slarti

G

The risk is always there, Dutasteride is NOT a FDA approved med to treat male pattern baldness.

So, I don't know exactly your case, since I haven't seen pics of your hair, but believe me that some guys in this forum are crazy, looking at their heads full of hair, and already taking dutasteride and risking their entire life, is just wrong..

Dutasteride is a med to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia, not for male pattern baldness.

But if the risk is worth it for you, then go for it.

IDOASIS

Established Member
Reaction score
Slartibartfast said:
On one of your other points: for God's sake, everyone make sure you don't get a woman pregnant whilst you're on dutasteride. It might have been extremely high doses of it that caused foetal abnormalities in the experiments, but we're still going to have to drop this particular medication long before knocking anybody up.

Slarti

About Finasteride:

We have all seen the warnings about pregnant women being advised not to handle a broken propecia tablet. In many people's minds, it stands to follow that if they shouldn't handle a broken tablet, surely semen containing finasteride would be dangerous as well. Again, we should always look to the studies to get the facts we need. Scientists intravenously gave 750 times that dosage to Rhesus Monkeys. In fact it was 750 times the highest possible dose a woman could be exposed to through semen from a man taking 1mg per day. Even at this dose, there were no genital abnormalities observed.

In rabbit fetuses which had finasteride directly injected into the uterus from days 6-18 of gestation at doses equivalent to 5000 times the recommended human dosage, no evidence of malformations was observed. This result would be expected, since there was no exposure during the critical period of genital system development in rabbits.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/newsletter/article255.htm

So, can finasteride cause birth defects? Yes, there is a theoretical possibility that it can, but the probability is close to nil, when finasteride is taken in the recommended dosages. Since Propecia was approved by the FDA on 22 December 1997 and Proscar on 28 August 1996, millions of doses of finasteride have been taken and there has not been a single case report of a birth defect. Now that’s reassuring information.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/newsletter/article256.htm

I guess that its similar with Dutasteride.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
We're talking about lives, here.

We cannot "guess" that dutasteride is safe with conception. We must know.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:

Bravo, well said.

IDOASIS

Established Member
Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:

I didn't say , someone should continue taking dutasteride while having a baby :!:
I said that it is less dangerous than people might think.

googler

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been taking finasteride for nearly 2 years without any side effects, well my semen can be a bit watery and I have felt a bit of nipple sensitivity over the past couple of months, but nothing major. But it has really started to lose its effectiveness in stabilizing my front, which has rapidly started to thin since september. This is why I am considering switching to dutasteride.

The whole issue of being not officially approved by the fda is what is really concerning me about dutasteride. Is impotence more likely with dutasteride than finasteride and are there any known concerns, like causing problems with the heart, liver, depression etc?

At the moment my regimin is

finasteride 1mg daily
generic minoxidil 5% x2 daily
nizoral shampoo

what do you guys recommend adding to it, to give me a boost. Could some provide a link that sells xandrox at an affordable price. All I found was a site that sells a months supply for nearly 100 dollars.

Full Head of Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
Googler I'm in the same position as you. Been on finasteride for awhile, but am all of a sudden loosing my hairline fast.

peakhair

Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:

Well, luckily you always have the option of having an abortion if there is
any defect in the foetus. 8)