Should I quit Minoxidil?

Hammer

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been using Minoxidil since March 2010 at the temples (only once a day), with finasteride and topical spironolactone and Prox-N. I also started applying minoxidil at the centre of the hairline about 3 months ago.

I haven't seen any results and my hairloss has slowly continued, so I have recently also started taking 0.5mg dutasteride per week.

I never experienced a shed while using minoxidil at all, or received any indication that it was working. Sometimes however I would spot the odd new, barely visible, very weak hairs at the temples but these could be as a result of the finasteride/spironolactone/Prox-N - They never got thick and would eventually fall out.

The Rogaine website states that if results are not observed within a year, quit. However, Rogaine is really for the use on the top of the head, where you would be more likely to get results.

My question is, should I quit or would this be a bad idea?

It's not that expensive so it's not so much a financial decision, but if something isn't working I am worried about making healthy hair dependent on the minoxidil without getting any results (although there's no science to this, and I don't know how my healthy hair could be dependent on minoxidil if it doesn't even seem to work for me). The Regaine website also states that if you quit, you will not be worse off than had you not started. Part of me therefore wants to continue in the hope that minoxidil is even helping me 5% towards slowing down my hairloss....but I need a second opinion as I am not sure if this is logical.

Thanks