Should I Not Have Started Rogaine Everywhere?

CantGoBald

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello, I am a 32 year old Indian male. No real history of baldness in the family. Dads got plenty of hair.

1 year ago, I had the smallest amount of hair loss at the vortex. About 0.5 inch by 0.5 inch. And great hair everywhere else.

I was told to start rogaine and was told to apply it everywhere. Feb 2017, I started. The liquid, tried to do it twice a day but often failed to do it. Average once a day.

I shed sooo much hair because I do not think I was supposed to put it in everywhere. Even where I didn't have thinning.

After losing a lot of hair/volume, I stopped rogaine in November 2017. So I basically did rogaine once a day for about 8 months. I have been off for 2-3 months now. However I am still shedding about 25/30 hairs in the shower. Especially when I shampoo my hair, 2x a week. I try not to shampoo the rest of the week.

SOO What do you guys think my next option is?
A) Start rogaine again even where there wasn't thinning to begin with (basically do what I was doing for those 8 months)?
B) No rogaine restart and see if my natural hair grows back. (Not sure how many months after discontinuing I should see my normal growth again)
C) Start rogaine only in the vortex area?

My concern is I might have ruined my own hair because I should have only applied to the vortex. But I parted my hair and applied everywhere. But I also read everywhere that rogaine cant damage your hair so not sure what to think.

Thanks! Any insight is welcome

InfamousOne

My Regimen
Reaction score
It takes roughly a year off minoxidil to go back to where you were prior. You didn't ruin your hair permanently or anything like that. You could either start Rogaine again and use it forever, or just not touch it again and wait for your hair to go back to normal. But then it'll go back to what it was before, and if you are thinning, then you'll still have that small thinning patch and it may bug you.

tom305

My Regimen
Reaction score
After losing a lot of hair/volume, I stopped rogaine in November 2017. So I basically did rogaine once a day for about 8 months. I have been off for 2-3 months now. However I am still shedding about 25/30 hairs in the shower. Especially when I shampoo my hair, 2x a week. I try not to shampoo the rest of the week.

Thanks! Any insight is welcome

Honestly I think "shedding about 25/30 hairs" cannot be even called shedding and especially if you lose it in the shower, where normal non-balding people can lose about 100-300 hairs... I think loosing 25 or 30 hairs is pretty common - though this is approxinately the amount of hairs which normal health people lose in the day. I personally lose about 40 - 80 hairs per day and about 150/200 when showering...

badgenetics1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly I think "shedding about 25/30 hairs" cannot be even called shedding and especially if you lose it in the shower, where normal non-balding people can lose about 100-300 hairs... I think loosing 25 or 30 hairs is pretty common - though this is approxinately the amount of hairs which normal health people lose in the day. I personally lose about 40 - 80 hairs per day and about 150/200 when showering...
This. Losing 25-30 hairs in the shower shouldn’t be overly concerning.

While doubtful you’d be losing hair using Minoxidil (aside from the initial shed), it wouldn’t be permanent if it were the cause. Unfortunately, a lot of the time people who think they’re losing hair because of Minoxidil are actually losing hair they would have lost anyway and just aren’t great responders to the treatment.