Should I keep using minoxidil??

:-(

Reaction score
I'm a diffuse thinner and have been using 3 ml of minoxidil once a day for 6 months. Zero shedding at first then at around the 3 month mark started to shed and have been shedding since...hair definitely looks worse than a few months ago. Just started finasteride a week or two ago. My question is should I stop using minoxidil? Is it making my hair worse or would I have seen results if it were going to work?

Reaction score
Fred- it really is hard to keep using just to see my hair get worse but with your experience I'm a little more confident to ride it out, thanks man. Tintin- I understand shedding is a sign it's working I'm just concerned that I am shedding excessively or I am not regrowing hair at a rate equivalent to the shed

PhillyCarter

Banned
Reaction score
Shedding is usually normal with minoxidil use. That just means that you unhealthy hair is dying and it is preparing for new healthy hair to grow. It can be very scary though and if it continues for more than 3 months I would suggest talking to your doctor to make sure you aren't have a reaction to it.

TinTin

Reaction score
I would suggest getting a buzz cut(so it would be less noticeable) and keep an eye on your hair to see if you see little hairs starting to grow. Usually, if your hair is shedding, most likely it will regrow.

Reaction score
I would suggest getting a buzz cut(so it would be less noticeable) and keep an eye on your hair to see if you see little hairs starting to grow. Usually, if your hair is shedding, most likely it will regrow.

I do see little hairs growing but I can't tell if they are new hairs from minoxidil, or just hairs that are getting smaller, part of the balding process

SurveenA4

Reaction score
No don't use it. It may be harm. Have any of your friend use it then take feedback from him

Reaction score
anyone else have any opinions? Should I stop using minoxidil or will I lose all my hair??

Kirby

Established Member
Reaction score
Can I ask, while we're here, is it worth using minoxidil still if after 7-8 months using it daily I have had no regrowth? I've been on Finasteride for 2 years now, FWIW.

Kirby

Established Member
Reaction score
True, I guess. Doesn't bother me putting it on my scalp every day, it's more the cost, spending money on something that most likely doesn't work (judging from lack of visible response) bothers me. Also, I'd heard that after a certain amount of time, if there's no regrowth, there's no possibility of any. That may just be 'bro science' though, there's too much of it here on hair loss forums. So hard to know what to believe...

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
I would be reluctant to stop using minoxidil. You may just be maintaining. Which is a big plus. If you were stopping strictly for health reasons or adverse sides effects then I would not discourage you from dropping it. If you are serious about combatting your hair loss then it is a relatively inexpensive investment. It will help if you try to see how important it's role is for maintenance and prevention. For now it is a lifelong commitment and one of the few life long hair loss options available to us. It is your friend.. Best Wishes.
True, I guess. Doesn't bother me putting it on my scalp every day, it's more the cost, spending money on something that most likely doesn't work (judging from lack of visible response) bothers me. Also, I'd heard that after a certain amount of time, if there's no regrowth, there's no possibility of any. That may just be 'bro science' though, there's too much of it here on hair loss forums. So hard to know what to believe...

hairregrowth21

Established Member
Reaction score
Try it with azelaic acid.

PhillyCarter

Banned
Reaction score
I do see little hairs growing but I can't tell if they are new hairs from minoxidil, or just hairs that are getting smaller, part of the balding process

Sometimes the hairs are very light so they are hard to see. As they continue to grow they get darker.

Kirby

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been on Finasteride since January 2012 solidly.

I've been using minoxidil since last May. Again, daily use, no pauses.

minoxidil has caused no regrowth.

Presumably I don't need minoxidil because I'm maintaining using Finasteride?

minoxidil is meant to peak at 16 weeks of use and I'm well past that point with no regrowth.

Reaction score
Right now I'm at the point where I've been using it for so long that I'm just scared to stop. So I think if you really think you won't see any regrowth, stop while you're ahead Kirby