Should I just give up at this point?

SimpsonKnight

Reaction score
Ok, so here is my epic story of hair loss, hormones and hair loss solutions. You be the judge if I should cut my losses and move on at this point.

First of all I am only 19 and yet have been experiencing hair loss for over a year now. At first I decided to have a wait-and-see approach, or, more accurately, I decided to ignore the problem and hoped that it would it just go away. It didn't. So last December I decided to take the plunge and take Propecia. I took it every two days for literally about three weeks, which means 11 pills in total. Even so the infamous side effects became pretty notable pretty fast which is why I stopped so soon. Luckily, over the course of the next few months these side effects slowly but surely receded and I felt pretty much like I did before taking Propecia at all.

Then in April I decided to look into other treatments and eventually settled on a combination of Rogaine and Revivogen. I also used Nizoral shampoo here and there. For a while this worked pretty well. I noticed a drastic decrease in the amount of hairs I would loose every time I took a shower. Things were good.

Then in August or September I decided to stop Rogaine. I've been using it exclusively in my temple area and there was definitely a lot more hair loss there than pretty much everywhere else which I attributed to the shedding side effect of Rogaine. So at this point I was using Revivogen by itself.

In September I had a complete change of heart. Spurred on by the fact that Rogaine actually has scientific studies to back up its claims while Revivogen basically goes on word of mouth I decided to stop wasting money on the latter and switched back to Rogaine. Then a few weeks ago I've had yet another change of heart because I noticed an increase in shedding (probably caused by the Rogaine). So as it stands I am using Revivogen daily as well as something called "Divine Herbal Hair Oil," which I've heard about on these forums actually, every two or three days.

Now, this is where things take another turn for the worse. I can accurately say that over the past few weeks I've noticed a decrease in libido and everything that goes along with that. At this point its not nearly as severe as what happened when I took Propecia but its still noticeable and somewhat concerning. This can probably be attributed to the Saw plametto which is present in Revivogen and likely present in the Divine Hair Oil, right? I realize that both are topical treatments but I've read that that doesn't completely rule out the possibility of systematic absorption and maybe I am just particularly susceptible to such things. As a result I am obviously very tempted to quit both but where does that leave me? I suppose I could go back on Rogaine but who is to say that it won't do more harm to my hair than good? Of course if I was in my 40s and already bald, going on Rogaine wouldn't require any thought whatsoever since the shedding thing wouldn't be a problem. But since I am only 19 and still have hair I am hesitant on taking that risk.

In all honesty there is that little voice in my head which tells me that I should just let my hair fall out since there isn't much else to do at this point and I should just accept a future of wigs and Rogaine. Each day this voice gets a little louder which is incredibly depressing.

Anyways, any and all thoughts or advice on my situation are greatly appreciated. What would you guys do in my place? Admittedly I am the furthest thing from an expert on hair loss so please share any thoughts you may have. I need to learn!! :D

otis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Come on at 19 years old what side effects can you have i think they are all in your head.Take the pill every morning for at least a year before you give up and use rogaine twice a day on a damp scalp.
You will be fine relax

H

hairplz

Shouldn't have stopped propecia. **** side effects. There is no worse side effect than losing hair.

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I hope you're not listening to these guys.

Your health should always come first.

H

hairplz

Really? How healthy one can be when he is losing the one thing that can give him most pleasure in life - his LOOKS? Without looks you can forget about passionate sex with hot women. I'd rather have cancer than go bald.

SimpsonKnight

Reaction score
Shouldn't have stopped propecia. **** side effects. There is no worse side effect than losing hair.

I can think of a few.

No, I agree completely. I am not gonna back on Propecia and at this point I am really just looking into any and all options that are not androgen blockers.

Really? How healthy one can be when he is losing the one thing that can give him most pleasure in life - his LOOKS? Without looks you can forget about passionate sex with hot women. I'd rather have cancer than go bald.

Haha, even though this makes us sound kinda vain and shallow I unfortunately have to agree. Going bald, especially at 19, is terrible. I've lost a lot of sleep because of it to say the least.

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It's ultimately up to you if the decrease in libido is worth keeping your hair. Chances are if you are on finasteride for a while, this side effect will go away. As you suggested, hair loss itself is quite traumatic especially at a young age, and can cause many negative side effects in of itself, including (indirectly) decreased sex drive.

If you think hair loss is something you can get over without major issues (depression, anxiety) then I would say just quit the treatments and move on. Many people have problems doing this, myself included. If the decreased libido is noticeable but not too much of an issue, then you might want to consider it again. It's ultimately up to you and what you are willing to sacrifice one way or another.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I remember reading a study where cancer patients said losing their hair from chemo therapy was one of the worst things about it. So I think even people with cancer do care about their appearance which is understandable

FiniMin

Reaction score
First, please read the thread I just posted today under this same category titled "Hairloss FINALLY Stopped After 14 months of finasteride/dutasteride Treatment.

You have not given your treatments enough time to work. You have to give Propecia (Finasteride) AT LEAST A YEAR!! That and going off and on over and over with Rogane can cause your hair to fall out from the sudden shock from quiting it.

Also, sexual side effects are very, very rare my friend. Only around 1% actually experience erectile dysfunction. It is more mathematically probable that your libido changes were purely psychological not physical.

It took me 14 months of being very consistent with my regimen to finally stop my hairloss. Propecia, Rogane, Dutasteride do work for the majority of men but they take time so you have to be patient with them. Your hair grows in 3 month cycles so it takes at least 3 cycles (9 months) before you see positive results.

I would go back on 1 mg of finasteride and Rogane each day, then give it at least a year before making adjustments. That is what I did, after a year I added dutasteride. I now take 1 mg finasteride one day, .5 mg of dutasteride the next and not only has my hairloss stopped, it's coming in thicker and fuller.

You also should spend some time learning about DHT and hairloss. Good luck my friend!