Should I go Finasteride 1mg ED?

technoport

Reaction score
Been on finasteride close to 3 months. Started my 1st finasteride dose on Jan 9, 2016 with 1mg. After a month I was able to observe the sides so I stopped it for a week and then started again with a lower dosage of 0.25mg and then very slowly creeped up to 0.5mg now. I get my morning wood (not full strong but atleast 80% of what it used to be). I feel good with 0.5mg every day. My hair is doing fine. Hair fall stopped. My work is mostly in front of a computer and the table is white in color. Everyday (before finsateride) I see hair everywhere. Now after finasteride no more hair on the table (may be 1 or 2 every 2 days). Hair is thicker and I'm taking pictures every month. On April 9, 2016 I will have my 3rd picture and from then onwards planning to take a picture every week.

My question is should I bump to 1 mg? Or just go with 0.5mg? Will I see any difference? I am attaching my past 2 pictures. Both the pictures were taken within 2 days of haircut. I am planning on growing my hair from now onwards to cover the bald spots.

Also do you think i can cover my crown?

My regimen:
-0.5mg finasteride everyday
-5% minoxidil before bed (only 2 days a week i do twice) - Since Sep, 2015 (started early)
-PURA D'OR Hair Loss Prevention Premium Organic Argan Oil Shampoo (Blue Label)
Used Keto shampoo till dandruf was cleared and then switched to the Pura d'or (Wednesday and Saturday).

Thanks you!

Attachments

• March 16 2016.jpg
    March 16 2016.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 599
  • Jan 31 2016.jpg
    Jan 31 2016.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 663

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
https://www.hairlosstalk.com/hair-loss-pdf/finasteride-doses.pdf

haircountfindosages.jpg

If you look at that study with N=~100 across every group till 6 months and N=+50 across every group till 12 months you see that actually the hair count is different between 0.2mg daily and 1mg daily, but it's not that big of a difference.

So if you feel fine on 0.5mg daily just stay on that dosage man.

g.i joey

Reaction score
Swoop is right, .25 may not be enough for most of us especially when our balding is aggressive but .5 should do you fine for now. Plus if down the line u notice more hair she'd u can at least up the dose to 1

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Swoop is right, .25 may not be enough for most of us especially when our balding is aggressive but .5 should do you fine for now. Plus if down the line u notice more hair she'd u can at least up the dose to 1

In Japan, the actual recommended dosage of finasteride for Androgenetic Alopecia is 0.2mg daily which may be increased to a maximum of 1mg daily. Didn't know that since recently. They have 0.2mg tablets there.

technoport

Reaction score
I'm surprised to find 0.2mg too! My goal is to have a decent hair by summer (say june/july). So far during the winter I was able to walk away with a cap/hat. But in spring/summer (now) I don't think i can hide it any more. Since no more hairloss i'm thinking of growing the hair longer and pull it back to hide the crown.

There was also a study by the Japanese "Evaluation of efficacy and safety of finasteride 1 mg in 3177 Japanese men with androgenetic alopecia ( http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1346-8138.2011.01378.x/full )". Sounds promising for asian genetics i think

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah didn't know that before. This double blind placebo controlled study; http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15319158. Actually compares 0.2mg daily and 1mg daily in Japanese men for 48 weeks. I can't get this particular full study but it seems 1mg performed better than 0.2mg again but not by much seeing from these pictures;

transam

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A) take 1mg of finasteride & endure the sides
B) use minoxidil 2 times daily. Everyday

judgin by your photos; you'd probably have good regrowth by June/July.
you loss isn't that bad YET

technoport

Reaction score
transam,

Sides are bearable. Not a complete killer @ 0.5mg. Question is will it make any difference in regrowth between 1mg ED vs 0.5mg ED. No hairloss with 0.5mg right now, so is it better if i stay at the current dose?

g.i joey

Reaction score
if it aint broke dont fix it, .5 is good for now, save 1mg for a year or 2 down the line.