Should I Give finasteride A Try Considering My Situation?

Haironnu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm in a huge crossroads about finasteride and hair loss and not sure what to do.
I'm severely balding, been balding for years but it's now at a point where I can't style my hair anymore and might have to buzz cut my hair, it's giving me severe depression and worsens my existing bdd, basically it's hard for me to function and if finasteride improves my hair it will improve my mental health.

on the other hand, I have tons of physical issues in the same areas that finasteride might affect:
I have gyno, imbalanced hormones (low testosterone and high estrogen for my age group), ed issues and fairly low libido

so part of me want to take finasteride because I'm mentally destroyed by the hair loss and probably will never accept/get used to a bald head, but another part of me is very wary of it considering all the already existing physical issues that I have.

it feels like no matter what I go with I lose

what should I do?

justbeconfident

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
get on minoxidil tbh

finasteride brings its own risks and considering your circumstances might not be worth it

Haironnu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
get on minoxidil tbh

finasteride brings its own risks and considering your circumstances might not be worth it

minoxidil is not an option for me, I'm scared of the possible aging of the face, plus I'm already hairy af, yes even in my face I already have hair in weird places and minoxidil will 100% make it worse.
and regardless I know I will not be able to commit to daily appliance for long so there is no point

JohnSmith21

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve been on finasteride for 14 months. Literally 0 sides. If you get sides just stop taking it, and if you don’t your hair will prob get better

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
minoxidil is not an option for me, I'm scared of the possible aging of the face, plus I'm already hairy af, yes even in my face I already have hair in weird places and minoxidil will 100% make it worse.
and regardless I know I will not be able to commit to daily appliance for long so there is no point
You can try oral minoxidil to avoid the hassle of topical applications. But I wouldn’t try it without finasteride if you’re not fully committed since it’s only a temporary stop gap on its own

Equal Rights

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Speak to your doctor and get his advice, ask for a referral to someone who knows more about hormones. Also aging of the face is most likely temporary as the major cause for this is reduced collagen production which will revert back to normal after discontinuation. In addition you will might get water retention which is what causes dark circles most of the time, again you lose it very quick after stopping. And lets be honest your hair will get you further that your face, applicable for anyone really. Min + microneedling, you can also try zix if you are scared of finasteride, but it also reduces dht, just to a lower extent.

Haironnu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Speak to your doctor and get his advice, ask for a referral to someone who knows more about hormones. Also aging of the face is most likely temporary as the major cause for this is reduced collagen production which will revert back to normal after discontinuation. In addition you will might get water retention which is what causes dark circles most of the time, again you lose it very quick after stopping. And lets be honest your hair will get you further that your face, applicable for anyone really. Min + microneedling, you can also try zix if you are scared of finasteride, but it also reduces dht, just to a lower extent.

doctors in my country are a joke but either way they all told me not to use finasteride

there is no point using minoxidil if I'm going to stop using it, all results will quickly be lost upon stopping. it's supposed to be a life long treatment. so minoxidil is out of the question for me.