Should I Get 1500 Or 2000 Grafts Fue

C150traffic

My Regimen
Reaction score
321CDBCC-B739-44FD-BD85-D8149CB73AC0.jpeg
DE97381F-D221-4F3F-9E10-AAE889E322CD.jpeg
321CDBCC-B739-44FD-BD85-D8149CB73AC0.jpeg
hi everyone I had given up on treating my hair but my financial situation has changed in the last few years and I decided to get a transplant. I am 33 years old and nw3. I have very thin and fine hair naturally. I found a good doctor and they said I should get 1500 to 2000. What do you think?

Currently back on minoxidil but I ditched finasteride because of sides

geno86

My Regimen
Reaction score
Personally if you’re not on finasteride or avodart I don’t see the point of getting a transplant. I say that because you need to fight the source of your hair loss which these drugs are made for, minoxidil is a regrowth agent. I’m currently on day 5 post recovery from a 5300 graft FUE, my doctor definitely reinforced this line of thinking; I am on Avodart only, no minoxidil for the last 7 years. I am 32 years old as well.

Have you tried Avodart? Or even low dose finasteride? I recommend some sort of DHT inhibitor if you can bare it. Of course, I suppose I don’t know how strong your sides truly were. Perhaps they’d be different with Avodart, who knows.

On to your question, I was in about the same shape as you for my temples but had some thinning in the middle of my head towards the front behind the hairlines. I did 2500 grafts in that area total, so if you’re talking strictly temples you could live with 1,500. I’d probably instruct your doctor to do what he needs to do, and if it ends up being 2000, so be it. Prepare yourself for it financially is what I’m saying; I was expecting 5000 grafts, and got 5300, for example.

C150traffic

My Regimen
Reaction score
Personally if you’re not on finasteride or avodart I don’t see the point of getting a transplant. I say that because you need to fight the source of your hair loss which these drugs are made for, minoxidil is a regrowth agent. I’m currently on day 5 post recovery from a 5300 graft FUE, my doctor definitely reinforced this line of thinking; I am on Avodart only, no minoxidil for the last 7 years. I am 32 years old as well.

Have you tried Avodart? Or even low dose finasteride? I recommend some sort of DHT inhibitor if you can bare it. Of course, I suppose I don’t know how strong your sides truly were. Perhaps they’d be different with Avodart, who knows.

On to your question, I was in about the same shape as you for my temples but had some thinning in the middle of my head towards the front behind the hairlines. I did 2500 grafts in that area total, so if you’re talking strictly temples you could live with 1,500. I’d probably instruct your doctor to do what he needs to do, and if it ends up being 2000, so be it. Prepare yourself for it financially is what I’m saying; I was expecting 5000 grafts, and got 5300, for example.

thank you for the reply,
i will have to look into Avodart tonight and see what that was about. the reason i stopped finasteride was because after a year and a half after i started i began to have side effects. As soon as i stopped so did the side effects but so did my hair. My family has very thin and fine hair but we don't defuse on the crown. my older brothers and dad have the same recession at the temples and it stops at about nor 2-3. So i figure i will risk it and get another procedure later on if my hair is going to be different, (which it very well may be)

however now my concern is that maybe i will not be getting enough density with only 2k grafts. I was looking at results from the same doctor and clinic and people with hair like mine got away with only 1900 grafts but pictures do lie.

geno86

My Regimen
Reaction score
So far in my experience, I look way worse in photos than I do when I look at myself in the mirror. I think 2,500 would be the most you’d want to go and that would be also if you wanted to infill some of the slightly thinning hair in the middle of your head between the temples (at least it sort of looks like that from the photos).

Keep in mind, you should ask your doctor how many grafts he thinks you can harvest in your life time. With me for example, I have a pretty large head and extremely thick donar area; I was told I could get the 5000 extracted and still have enough left to do more later. But if you have finer hair a good doctor may cap you at 3000 - 3500. This is because you want enough hair left in your donor area to conceal the small scars, and generally to not look stupid. If it IS 3000, and if you think you’ll need something down the road, maybe stick with the 2000 and conserve grafts.

Vinc2097

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
View attachment 100533 View attachment 100534 View attachment 100533 hi everyone I had given up on treating my hair but my financial situation has changed in the last few years and I decided to get a transplant. I am 33 years old and nw3. I have very thin and fine hair naturally. I found a good doctor and they said I should get 1500 to 2000. What do you think?

hey man ! can i ask, when did your hair loss start ? thx

WasAGinger

My Regimen
Reaction score
View attachment 100533 View attachment 100534 View attachment 100533 hi everyone I had given up on treating my hair but my financial situation has changed in the last few years and I decided to get a transplant. I am 33 years old and nw3. I have very thin and fine hair naturally. I found a good doctor and they said I should get 1500 to 2000. What do you think?

Try to understand with your surgeon what his criteria are in order to harvest grafts from your donor.

The numbers, I mean.

Try to also ascertain where he intends to place the grafts. Watch out. Do not deplete your donor trying to fill up the hairline. The risk is that, later in life, your baldness progresses while you do not have any more grafts to dedicate to the new bald areas.