Should I Bother Medication / Rogaine At This Point...

and_d

Reaction score
I have so much going on with grad school and work that i try not to think about the fact that I'm losing my hair but I was just reminded about it when I just noticed my side profile. Though my hairline has been receding, I never noticed how bad it looked on the side.

I've never tried anything but wondering if it's late for medication. I think the worse part is that I'm not sure if I want to just maintain what I have because my hair just doesn't look right in the front as it ends up being flat.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• IMG_20161201_223753.jpg
    IMG_20161201_223753.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_20161201_223800.jpg
    IMG_20161201_223800.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 316

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Get on meds..At least get on Minoxidil..There is no reason not to its easy to use and harmless to most people...i let fear mongering postpone me starting minoxidil..its only 5 weeks and i already see new hairs--i wish i had started it years ago..I have no idea how well i will do on it but at least i know i respond to it. I will know for sure in like 5 months...
I am not on oral meds. I am a woman and i had minor negative side effects on oral spironolactone..and i am not allowed to take propecia or dutasteride.
I use a topical spironolactone/estrodial blend..it seems to be working as i am not shedding short hairs anymore.

You don't want to lose more hair because their could be better stuff coming in next 2 years.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just so that I understand: only recently have you noticed you are balding?
1. Go to derm
2. Have finasteride prescribed, after he tells you what side effects can be and you can decide.
3. Take finasteride, apply minoxidil, wash your hair with nizoral. If you want, also apply an anti-androgen topical like S5 cream.

But... please do something!

Grasshüpfer

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
First buzz it down. Then for sure get full throttle on big 3.

There is a huge difference between a buzzcut and fully bald.

and_d

Reaction score
Get on meds..At least get on Minoxidil..There is no reason not to its easy to use and harmless to most people...i let fear mongering postpone me starting minoxidil..its only 5 weeks and i already see new hairs--i wish i had started it years ago..I have no idea how well i will do on it but at least i know i respond to it. I will know for sure in like 5 months...
I am not on oral meds. I am a woman and i had minor negative side effects on oral spironolactone..and i am not allowed to take propecia or dutasteride.
I use a topical spironolactone/estrodial blend..it seems to be working as i am not shedding short hairs anymore.

You don't want to lose more hair because their could be better stuff coming in next 2 years.

Yeah, I let fear mongering also stop me from taking anything. I kept hoping that if stress got better that I would stop shedding but it really hasn't

Just so that I understand: only recently have you noticed you are balding?
1. Go to derm
2. Have finasteride prescribed, after he tells you what side effects can be and you can decide.
3. Take finasteride, apply minoxidil, wash your hair with nizoral. If you want, also apply an anti-androgen topical like S5 cream.

But... please do something!

I went to see one last year and he said it was male pattern and that I should consider getting a hair transplant. That he recommended against using finastride. I probably should have started then.

I knew I was starting to lose hair. Started some years ago. It wasn't so bad though and nothing really around my temples. Since I had spinal surgery in April of last year, shedding has gone full throttle. I kept hoping that it would slow down but it hasn't. When I say I never noticed, I meant more my side profile. I might have just ignored it subconsciously but I caught a glimpse recently and I didn't like the look at all.

I'm seeing another dermatologist next Tuesday.

First buzz it down. Then for sure get full throttle on big 3.

There is a huge difference between a buzzcut and fully bald.

When you say buzz cut, do you mean jason statham style? I have considered that but everyone I mentioned it to said I shouldn't as it will likely not look good on me.

Singularity2045

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes of course! Don't let people scare you off it... I've seen so many friends be scared of finasteride and lose most of their hair... no point in waiting!

I take it without any side effects.

Grasshüpfer

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
When you say buzz cut, do you mean jason statham style? I have considered that but everyone I mentioned it to said I shouldn't as it will likely not look good on me.

Well Jason Stathams style is a bit too short maybe. But if you can grow a beard it works very well on most guys.
For the beginning I would leave it at a few millimetres, maybe 1/3 inch.

As you were kind of pointing at in your op, you have spots with very little hair. Shorter hair usually looks better when some loss is already visible.

I would tiptoe my way into a new look. I went down from five inch long hair to maybe an inch and I was pleasantly surprised.
As @FredTheBelgian always points out, there is a huge difference between the buzzed look and being bald. You have still quite some hair, so try to keep it. Also the more hair you save the cheaper and more effective possible future treatments will be.

The treatments effectiveness depends on the individual. Some guys maintain well on a small dose of finasteride, some get sides, but instead respond well to ru.

You def need an antiandrogen. The fastest way to find out if you get sides is to just take the plunge and start finasteride.

Last edited: