Should i be taking vitamins.

eentity

Reaction score
Damn my hair is getting thinner without significant noticeable shedding!! Sucks!!

i want to up my regimen a little. Should i add special vitamins? Which ones are the essential ones? I have diffuse thinning. Not much of a change to my hairline, just thinner hair all over.

Diddy

Established Member
Reaction score
Most vitamins won't do a thing unless you live in africa or something and eat a 500 calorie a day diet. Only supplements that might have some effect at all are probably grape seed extract and MSM. From personal experience both make my hair grow ridiculously fast. Some research shows that both improve hair quality (i believe only very marginally)

eentity

Reaction score
honestly, i'm afraid to try anything because i see conflicting reports as to the effects of Saw Palmetto. I just don't want to take anything that will actually hurt my situation.

Is there any cases of MSM or Grape Seed Extract actually making situations worse?.

Can i take both daily? If so how many per day? Just one of each?

Thanks so much for your help Diddy, your an inspiration.

E

Diddy

Established Member
Reaction score
Personally i think saw palmetto is junk that could ultimately do nothing for your hair but give you an awesome case of gyno. Of course some people will swear by it (Stingray come to mind..... :D ) But personally i think of saw palmetto as a natural way of getting all the sides of propecia minus all the benefits. The only positive study on saw i've ever seen is the one sponsored by the guy who manufactured the stuff (probably was ghost written by him). But everyone can have an opinion.

I've never heard of any negatives arising from taking MSM or Grape seed extract. Grape seed extract is an awesome anti-oxident, and MSM has been taken for decades by weightlifters and athletes for joint healing. Both are super safe. Plus looks like lately MSM has really caught on with the homebrew topical guys.

Both are fine to take together, dunno how much it contributed to my hair situation, but the stuff makes hair grow FAST.

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
is msm sold in most grocerystores?

Brasileirao

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Diddy, how is your situation? i know you had some ups and down.

Thanks,
Tony

Brasileirao

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Never mind, saw your post. :oops:

eentity

Reaction score
ok.........thanks alot for the info. I'll get on it right away.

also.....one question

why would it be good to grow hair faster. Since hair thinning or thickening comes in cycles, wouldn't faster hair growth technically mean sped up male pattern baldness?

the faster hair grows, the faster it gets shed and replaced with another hair. So in theory, could also mean faster cycling of male pattern baldness? what do you think?

E

The Gardener

Reaction score
I agree with the general idea that vitamin supplements really will not add much to your health, nor your hairloss in specific.. But!.. this only applies if you eat a healthy diet with ample servings of fruits and vegetables each day. If you eat a good diet, chances are you are getting the nutrients you need.

However, I very strongly believe that there are certain vitamins that we should supplement ourselves with, the B complex in particular. These vitamins are water soluble and are not absorbed and stored in our bodies like the others are. This means that B vitamins, when ingested, are not stored in the system for future release on days when you do NOT ingest ample amounts of B vitamins. Basically, you eat a meal with good B vitamin content (say, tuna fish) and by the end of the day you piss it all out and the following day your body is lacking in them.

Keeping in mind that B vitamins are essential for optimal metabolism, and are great for the skin, I think it is important to keep on top of this.

Sooo, I take a multivitamin, and a GOOD one. It costs me just under a dollar a day to do it. But, I figure taking them makes up for any holes in my diet that I may have on a particular week or particular day in the case of the water solubles. The particular vitamin I take also has a mixture of some aminos and enzymes (Biotin, L-Arginine, etc) that are formulated to level out daily metabolism swings and that is a plus. I know that of the dollar I spend a day on them I am probably pissing out about sixty cents of it a day, but at the very least I know that there is a consistent level of nutrients in my bloodstream even on those horrid days when I have Mickey Dee's for breakfast, skip lunch, and have leftover pizza for dinner.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
eentity said:
the faster hair grows, the faster it gets shed
The speed of growth is unrelated to the length of the growth phase.

tigritos

Reaction score
The Gardener said:
I agree with the general idea that vitamin supplements really will not add much to your health, nor your hairloss in specific.. But!.. this only applies if you eat a healthy diet with ample servings of fruits and vegetables each day. If you eat a good diet, chances are you are getting the nutrients you need.

However, I very strongly believe that there are certain vitamins that we should supplement ourselves with, the B complex in particular. These vitamins are water soluble and are not absorbed and stored in our bodies like the others are. This means that B vitamins, when ingested, are not stored in the system for future release on days when you do NOT ingest ample amounts of B vitamins. Basically, you eat a meal with good B vitamin content (say, tuna fish) and by the end of the day you piss it all out and the following day your body is lacking in them.

Keeping in mind that B vitamins are essential for optimal metabolism, and are great for the skin, I think it is important to keep on top of this.

The Gardener is absolutly right :D

check out this link: http://www.regrowth.com/hair_loss_treat ... min_b6.cfm

It says:

"It has been shown in previous studies on Zinc that combined with Vitamin B6, it was markedly able to inhibit the conversion of Testosterone to DHT in the skin. There are now studies that show that specific types of B6 alone will inhibit DHT creation and androgen receptor activity. However these studies show that the source of B6 is important, as some sources actually INCREASE creation of DHT. In other words, if you don't know what form of B6 you're getting, it may be best to leave it alone. It is important to get enough though, because according to the same studies, a deficiency of B6 will increase DHT creation as well."

Me I take 15mg Zinc with 50 mg of B6(pyridoxal form), a good B complex vitamin and 1500 Mg of L-Arginine/Ornithine before bed time.

If you take the Pyridoxine form of B6 you need to take some Magnesium with it to help your body to produce the enzymes to help converting it in the Pyridoxal form.

When you take the Pyridoxal form it directly goes into your blood flow.

Pyridoxal B6 is often call Co-enzyme B6 on labels

I also take a good time released multi-vitamin every day.

For L-Arginine I cycle 6 weeks on 2 weeks off