shockloss

G

how common is shockloss? how often does it appear? will the hairs grow back?

thx for answers!

Mahair

Established Member
Reaction score
Very common,anytime there are hairs to shock,not always.

G

It is also very unpredictable. Will some of the hairs grow back? That depends on how disseminated, debilitated, or what we often call "miniturization" of the hairs which eventually produces diffused thinning and then ultimately complete loss.

So the more diffused or miniturized the hair is, the less probable that it will grow back. But remember, you're destined to lose that diffused hair in the future anyway, it's a matter of time. So it really depends on how much work you want to get done on the first procedure. Some patients will want to "safely" transplant as much as possible, others want a less noticable appearance in their transition. In other words they elect to do smaller procedures to try and minimize the effects of shockloss.

Many female patients have diifused thinning and subsequently are very concerned about large levels of shockloss and understandably so. But so are men who have a profound diffusing pattern. My suggestion? Have your own situation evaluated in person with a proven reputable hair transplant surgeon, maybe get several opinions. But remember, even under the most ideal conditions, shockloss is still unpredictable. However it does not hurt to employ all of the strategies to do whatever you can to minimize it. Best wishes.

SAMPSON

Reaction score
Gillenator,

What are some of the strategies to minimize shockloss? In your opinion, if I was just aiming to turn a NW2 into a NW1, would shockloss be a concern? I wear my hair longer in the front in an effort to camoflauge the receded area. I certainly would not want to loose that hair just when I needed it most to cover the transplanted area while it heals.

Thanks again!

hanson_7

Reaction score
shock loss on donor area

Just had an hair transplant 2 weeks ago, a mega session with 2500 grafts on crown, temple, and anterior area. Im 36 and had a diffuse thinning with NW4a. After the hair transplant, my scalp looks darker. In those 2weeks, the new hair showed a tremendously fast growth. Shock loss happened to all of the vellus hair and it's hardly noticable anyway, since they're mostly colorless and thin. I haven't experienced new hair shedding yet, but i'm prepared for the worst. However, on the donor area, especially on the incission and stitched area the hair is sheding like as if they weren't attached at all. Anytime i run thru my fingers, i always get around 10-15 hairs. and the area around the stitches itches like hell. Maybe it's a sign of curing and drying wound.

My DR. didn't specify any special treatment nor special shampoo. He advised me to just wash it regularly with a soft tender massaging movement.

So far, I'm glad I had it done. But I guess it's too early to judge. I'd have had it done anyway though since I lost hope with the rapid thinning. I've been thinning since I was 34, but then the past 8 months the thinning seemed accelerated out of control.

Forum_User

Reaction score
Re: shock loss on donor area

hanson_7 said:
Just had an hair transplant 2 weeks ago, a mega session with 2500 grafts on crown, temple, and anterior area. Im 36 and had a diffuse thinning with NW4a. .

You don't have a "before" pic of your hairline or "after" pic of your transplants, do you? I am the exact same age and hair loss pattern with diffuse thinning and am seriously considering transplants as well.

G

Sampson,

Minoxidil and finasteride (Propecia) can certainly help to minimize shockloss as well as doing smaller sessions when grafting in an area where there is neighboring natural hair. It's just so unpredictable. The stronger hairs will probably grow back, the thin weak vellus hairs will not.

Hanson_7,

The itching is a good sign. It implies you are healing. Graftcyte can help reduce the post-op itching and you can consider using it in the future. BTW, are you on Propecia? Also, shockloss in the donor area is not untypical and most folks notice the shock at three to four weeks post-op. And yes sometimes our hairloss can appear as if it is stabilizing then wham, it takes off again. male pattern baldness is progressive in our lifetimes.

hanson_7

Reaction score
almost 2 months after hair transplant

yes i do have a complete set of pics of before and all the progress thus far.. i'll be posting my web page soon.. but if you want to see asap, i can always send thumbnails to your email.

well, so far so good.. some of the newly transplanted hair did fall out [appr. 60%], but since the scalp got darker due the micro scars, it's hardly noticable that i was nw4a. now it's sprouting all over with vellus hair.. it itches like hell, though [is it normal????]. however, i'm pretty happy with the way it turned out..

and i got to mention this, on the temple area there were some pretty heavy infections [on both temples!!!] they're pimples like kinda swollen with warm soft liquid inside.. they went on for 2 months since the surgery, and finally last week i couldn't stand it anymore and they seemed gotten bigger. so i squeezed them out, it was painfull and about 2 tissues to absorb the puss and some thick blood.. it seems ok now..

:hairy:

*generic 1.25 mg propecia for the past 10 months
*generic 2% minoxidil for the past 3 years

G

hanson_7,

Those pimples may be ingrown hairs coming through. Do you have any curl to your hair? The size of these are concerning as I hope there is not in fact an infection going on. Do you think seeing your Doctor, even your primary doctor examining these bumps are necessary or are they now subsiding?

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: almost 2 months after hair transplant

hanson_7 said:
yes i do have a complete set of pics of before and all the progress thus far.. i'll be posting my web page soon.. but if you want to see asap, i can always send thumbnails to your email.

well, so far so good.. some of the newly transplanted hair did fall out [appr. 60%], but since the scalp got darker due the micro scars, it's hardly noticable that i was nw4a. now it's sprouting all over with vellus hair.. it itches like hell, though [is it normal????]. however, i'm pretty happy with the way it turned out..

and i got to mention this, on the temple area there were some pretty heavy infections [on both temples!!!] they're pimples like kinda swollen with warm soft liquid inside.. they went on for 2 months since the surgery, and finally last week i couldn't stand it anymore and they seemed gotten bigger. so i squeezed them out, it was painfull and about 2 tissues to absorb the puss and some thick blood.. it seems ok now..

:hairy:

*generic 1.25 mg propecia for the past 10 months
*generic 2% minoxidil for the past 3 years

Didn't you ask your transplant Doctor about that?

hanson_7

Reaction score
very precise!

gillenator said:
hanson_7,

Those pimples may be ingrown hairs coming through. Do you have any curl to your hair? The size of these are concerning as I hope there is not in fact an infection going on. Do you think seeing your Doctor, even your primary doctor examining these bumps are necessary or are they now subsiding?

precisely, that's what my dr told me.. he also told me not to mess with it. but i just couldn't stand it anymore; thus, i made them erupted...

gillenator, you rock man!!! you're not a dr yet you posses the very core and indepth knowledge of hair transplant.. I've been following your posts for at least 2 months before i finally decided to go for an hair transplant..

I'm a cali, currently live in jakarta, indonesia. got my hair transplant in surabaya [not too far from jakarta] for $5/graft.. that price came with a 1 yr warranty. should in 1 year there is no/minimal growth, i'll get a second hair transplant FOC.. what do you think? i think it's a solid deal.

G

hanson_7,

Thank you for the kind words my friend and glad to be of help. That's why I am present as an independent hairloss advocate. Not only am I a hairloss sufferer and happy patient, but had the opportunity to have worked inside several clinics. The hair transplant docs who support my advocacy efforts are sound ethical and talented surgeons so they help alot keeping me abreast with clinical findings and advancements made in hair restoration. I guess I'm a true hair junkie huh?

I do not know who your surgeon was but am very glad to hear you are happy. That's the bottom line right? But if there is any chance at all that you are not happy in one year, whatever you do, DO NOT go back to the same Doctor because make no mistake, you will regret it. It does sound by your posts that you will not be disappointed so I wish you the best! :D