SHOCK LOSS due to hair transplant Can someone explain?

Basketballhead

Established Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain why doctors will not perform hair transplant on young men who are experiencing early hair loss such as diffuse thinning on top like myself. Obviously one reason is that the doctor is unsure about the progressiveness of the hairloss and we all have a limited donor supply. However, if one were to maintain a regimen of propecia and other products pre,during, and post op I dont see any problems with performing hair transplants on younger men.

Another concern is shock loss which is associated with the insertion of new hair follicles in or near the vicinty of old follices. Can someone give me some information or explanation for doctor reluctance when considering younger patients.?

Another quick question (I know this depends on hair type and donor size) in general once your head is completely bald on top do most people have enough donor hair to provide decent coverage.

fifty

Established Member
Reaction score
Even if you do maintain a regimin of propecia and other products, you may still lose hair....just at a slower rate than someone not on treatments.

I think some doctors stay away from young patients because they never know for sure how much hairloss they will ultimately have. Will they progress to a NW2-3 and stay there or will then end up a NW6-7. It's harder to plan for a young person's hairloss. With older people, it is easier to predict where their hairloss will go. For example, many doctors don't like to give young people low hairlines because they're worried that the patient's hairloss will continue behind the transplants and there won't be enough donor to cover that area and the patient will look bad.

If you're completely bald on top, you generally do NOT have enough donor hair to cover that area with decent density.