Shock Loss after a hair transplant, some questions

dy

Reaction score
Guys, maybe this item is discussed a lot in several topics. But I have some specific questions, that's why I think it's wise to open a new topic fore it.

My questions are the following:

- how many days after a hair transplant does "Shock Loss" generally start
- how do you know it's shock loss and not the transplanted hairs falling out
- which hairs are a bigger victom for "shock loss", how do you recognize them
- do the hairs grow back after a while, is this after a month or a year?
- if it grows back, does it come back in the same quality as before
- besides propecia and minoxidil, what else can we do (pre and post OP) to prevent Shock Loss
- after the hairs are falling out with Shock Loss, what measures can we additionally take to (besides Propecia and minoxidil) to make sure the lost hairs will grow back

Thanks for all of your contributions!! Appreciate it!!

retropunk

Established Member
Reaction score
dy said:
Guys, maybe this item is discussed a lot in several topics. But I have some specific questions, that's why I think it's wise to open a new topic fore it.

My questions are the following:

- how many days after a hair transplant does "Shock Loss" generally start
- how do you know it's shock loss and not the transplanted hairs falling out
- which hairs are a bigger victom for "shock loss", how do you recognize them
- do the hairs grow back after a while, is this after a month or a year?
- if it grows back, does it come back in the same quality as before
- besides propecia and minoxidil, what else can we do (pre and post OP) to prevent Shock Loss
- after the hairs are falling out with Shock Loss, what measures can we additionally take to (besides Propecia and minoxidil) to make sure the lost hairs will grow back

Thanks for all of your contributions!! Appreciate it!!

These answers are based on my opinion and from my research. You should ask a hair transplant doctor for his opinion.

1) The shock loss to your original hair happens in a couple months. The loss of donor hair in a few weeks.
2) Read previous.
3) Transplanted hair would be a lot shorter since it's falling out in weeks and not months. Most, if not all, of them will fall out. Original hair destined to fall out may be of the same quality as the transplanted hair.
4) Both will grow back if they're not susceptible to hair loss, which is about 3m
5) Again, as long as it's not susceptible to hair loss, all hair should be about the same quality. Some follicles may die during transplant. Some hair may grow thinner at first, but thicker after a couple cycles.
6) I doubt propecia or minoxidil would help, but who knows.
7) A competent doctor and patience. Not all of the hair will show in under a year. It's usually best to wait 2 years before taking further steps.

dy

Reaction score
thank you very much for your kind and informative reply

G

DY,

for what it's worth, I do believe that minoxidil and propecia, as well as avodart, if you use that in place of propecia, that all 3 can help reduce/minimize shock loss. minoxidil can also possibly make the grafts grow in thicker and grows htem in thicker and faster than it would have otherwise. speeding it up in other words. so can taking MSM, a supplement you can buy at a pharmacy/supermarket.

so if you're using propecia/minoxidil, def stick with those, and consider adding MSM as well to speed up growth

retropunk

Established Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
DY,

for what it's worth, I do believe that minoxidil and propecia, as well as avodart, if you use that in place of propecia, that all 3 can help reduce/minimize shock loss. minoxidil can also possibly make the grafts grow in thicker and grows htem in thicker and faster than it would have otherwise. speeding it up in other words. so can taking MSM, a supplement you can buy at a pharmacy/supermarket.

so if you're using propecia/minoxidil, def stick with those, and consider adding MSM as well to speed up growth

It appears Dr. Rassman agrees with you, Jayman. I'm not sure how it would help, but if Dr. Rassman believes in it, then I'll accept it as fact.

G

dy,

First let's ask what shockloss is. It is the direct result of how our hair follicles respond to the trauma of the surgery. The trauma is caused by the excisions and incisions made to the scalp during the hair transplant process. Shockloss can start 3-6 weeks post-op. There is no way to predict it, just some measures to help minimize it.

Specifically, the existing hair follicles retreat into the telogen phase when shocked. They will rest for 3-4 months and then move back into the growth phase. NOT ALL OF THE NATURAL HAIR COMES BACK, especially the weakest hair already diffused by DHT. That's also why the diffused thinning patient can run the highest risks of shockloss. For most patients, the stronger natural hair will recycle and come back after resting.

The hair carried in the grafts usually fall out in 8-12 days post-op and most of them will have the crusts still attached to them when they come off. That's the primary way to know which lost hairs are from the grafts and which ones were the natural existing hair.

Mrmk

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am kind of confused. I read everywhere that shock loss is supposed to happen 2-3 months after the fact. But I just had a transplant, and the day after I had significantly less density. Is this not shock loss? Maybe the hair was cut short and I just can't see? what do you guys think? Thanks!

follicle2001

Established Member
Reaction score
With regards to the hair you lost the day after hair transplant, you probably lost hair from mechanical trauma during the surgery i.e. combing, pulling, scalp trauma, etc. No way around this in most cases.

Shock loss comes later, usually in both the donor and recipient zones.

Shock loss is a HUGE kick in the teeth for some (many? most?) people and can be very, very upsetting. Beyond meds there is not much you can do about it beyond waiting it out. Shock loss in miniaturized hair is very often permanent, but mature, terminal hairs and previously transplanted hairs should recover.