shin pain

blueshard

Established Member
Reaction score
does anyone have any experience with getting shin splints from cycling? I have been using a stationary bike and my left leg in the shin area is hurting.

I have tried shin strengthening exercises- didn't work. I tried a lot of stretching- didn't work.

It doesn't make sense that I would get shin splints from such a low impact exercise.

Anyone have any ideas?

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I have always had huge shin problems. I stretched a lot but still have only been able to run about half a mile before it hurts too much. I'll have to try again now that I have been taking MSM for 4 months.

Cassin

Reaction score
klink said:
Interesting. I have always had huge shin problems. I stretched a lot but still have only been able to run about half a mile before it hurts too much.

Me too....My feet are flat as hell though.

Thats odd you have shin pain from cycling. Never heard of that.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The suggestion for MSM and/or chondroitin is a good one. Here's what also helped me immensely... basically the opposite of a calf raise called a shin raise. Stand upright, place the balls of your feet on the floor, legs straight, and raise your toes to the ceiling, stretch those osterior tibial muscles. Do lots of these over the next few weeks.

It also helps to stretch the calf muscle without exerting too much force. Shin splints mostly come from a muscle imbalance with the calves.

klink

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There are a number of shin exercises that can help. Some of them are painful at first.

I don't get shin plints from the elliptical, but from the impact of running.