shh5455's Story - (10 MONTH UPDATE) new-3/09/07

shh5455

Established Member
Reaction score
I decided to post my story to help myself (and whoever's interested) keep track.

I'm 29 now. I started noticing some hairloss when I was about 25. My temples were receding just a touch. I got married at 26, and around the time of my 27th birthday I started to noice that just past the front of my hairline I was beginning to see more scalp. The hair just wasn't as thick there.

So about April of 2005 I decided to attack it with generic 5% minoxidil and nizoral. I did pretty well applying it for a while. I think I started out just doing it once per night but realized that it wasn't enough, so I went to 2x daily. I did it pretty solid for about 3 months. At first my hair was shedding like crazy, so it made me want to stop, but I stuck with it. Eventually the shed stopped. Then I started to get lazy and would miss an application here and there, or sometimes a day or 2 here or there. I started shedding again in full force. I reevaluated my situation and decided that minoxidil had caused me nothing but problems. Although I had no side effects like itchy scalp, or the other crazy stuff I read on here, I decided to stop all of my treatments. I felt like I hadn't regrown or maintained any hair. That was about January 2006

About 3 more months went by and I was STILL shedding. I figured maybe the minoxidil just had to get out of my system, but this was ridiculous. I had very strong diffuse thinning on top with extra thinning on my crown and just behind my hairline. My temples were receding and it was getting noticibly thin on top. When my hair was wet you could definitely tell there was a problem.

That brings me to where I am today. I decided that the shedding could just be male pattern baldness and that I needed to do something. Still being fearful of minoxidil, I've decided to give finasteride a shot and get back on nizoral. I began my routine on April 23, 2006.

Obviously things are still the same, but I am hoping I will get the same results as Back In Time who has similar hairloss. He is using minoxidil too though.

***** Previous Journal *****
This is the journal I kept previously on my last go around.

4/10/05 - Started using minoxidil 5% twice daily around this date. I had used 2% irregularly once before, recently, but stopped. Some thinning present just past the hair line on top and a little thinning in the crown

4/18/05 - Noticing heavy shed. Probably at least 50 thin hairs are shed everyday in the shower while shampooing

5/7/05 - Heavy shedding continues. Appear to be thinning all over the top now. You can see my scalp pretty easily under the bright lights in the bathroom when my hair is wet. A little hard to see when hair is dry and fluffed. Wondering if I should be starting finasteride now or if that will worsen the shed.

5/24/05 - Shedding may be slowing down. Seems like I am seeing less hair on my hands after shampooing. Not conclusive yet though. The top of my scalp is fairly thin. When wet you can easily see some scalp. When hair is dry it's a little more difficult.

June/July - Shedding pretty much stopped

Sept/Oct - Started getting laxed in my minoxidil treatment. Shedding started again.

November 05 - February 06 - Shedding continues. I decided that minoxidil is not producing any positive results so I quit using it.

March 06 - April 06 - Not using anything. Heavy shedding still continues.

4/22/06 - Began using 1.25mg finasteride daily (proscar and fincar) and nizoral. Still shedding a lot.

7/10/06 - Still on finasteride and nizoral. Still having heavy shedding. Scalp is visible under bright lights even when dry. Crown seems to be thinning faster than the front. Thin spot on the crown is about 1.5" in diameter. Temples have receded maybe 1/4"

7/13/06 - Shedding may be decreasing. Over the last 3 days I've noticed a dramatic change in shower shedding. Instead of having about 40 hairs on my hands after shampooing it's been more like 20.

7/20/06 - Not so sure shedding is decreasing now. Seems to still be about the same :(

***** 1 MONTH UPDATE *****
May 2006

I've been on proscar/fincar 1.25mg daily and nizoral 2x/wk. My hair is still shedding like crazy. I probably lose about 30-40 in the shower and then more randomly throughout the day. Scalp is easily noticable when wet and under bright lights it's fairly noticeable when dry. Here are recent pics with wet hair.

IMG_1499.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg

***** 4 MONTH UPDATE *****
August 2006

It has now been 4 months since I started finasteride. About 2 or 3 weeks ago I decided to start minoxidil too because I was still losing hair and didn't think I could withstand the minoxidil shed if I waited much longer. So I dove it. I'm using 5% morning and night.

Before I started the minoxidil I hadn't noticed anything from the finasteride. I was still shedding/thinning about the same although I did notice a slight itch in my scalp. So I know something was happening. Maybe just too early to tell.

I'm now about 3 weeks into minoxidil and the shedding began about a week ago. The strange thing is that I'm no longer losing thick hairs, the hairs I'm losing are ALL thin. There are definitely more of them though. But I realize this time around that it's the minoxidil and not my hair abandoning me.

I feel like my hair looks pretty crappy right now. It has gotten quite thin and the minoxidil is causing dandruff a lot worse than last time I did this. I think that must be due to the addition of finasteride, though.

IMG_1806.jpg

IMG_1808.jpg

IMG_1811.jpg

***** 5 MONTH UPDATE *****
September 2006

This is the best update because I'm happy to report that I am growing hair!!! I once thought it was impossible and that I wasn't going to respond since my whole family is decimated by male pattern baldness. But about a week or so ago I noticed small dark hairs starting to pop up around my hairline. Also my hair feels healthier, thicker, and denser. So I am really excited right now! The pictures are slightly darker than normal but I tried to reproduce the lighting as well as I could. I will try to post some brighter ones later.

month5a.jpg

month5b.jpg

month5c.jpg

***** 6 MONTH UPDATE *****
October 2006

I'm now 6 months into my new regimen and I am very pleased with the results. The regrowth seems to have slowed down, but I'm ok with that. I like the way my hair looks now and I'm not self concious about it anymore. I'm currently using saw palmetto and MSM but I'm going to try to remove those from my regimen when I run out... just to see what happens. I don't like taking 4 pills every day. My hair is shorter than usual in the pictures but I had to get my haircut b/c it was getting so long.

Sorry about the photo sizing. Photobucket sucks and is really buggy.

month6a.jpg

month6b.jpg

***** 9 MONTH UPDATE *****
January 2007

Hey guys just wanted to stop back by and give an update. I guess it's really true that people who are succeeding at treatment don't really frequent the boards much. So take that as encouragement. I guess this would be a 9 month update.

I don't have any pictures, but based on my other pictures I can describe. I still have some diffuse thinning up front and a little less on my crown, but it looks normal when my hair is done. Basically it looks pretty close to how it did when I was 26 which is when I first started thinking I might be thinning. My temples have made no progress, but I'm not really concerned about them. They're at an acceptable place. I just want to maintain at this point.

I'm still on the big 3. I've missed a few applications of minoxidil here and there but for the most part am really good about doing it. And I'm still using fincar from inhousepharmacy.com broken into quarters daily. Plus nizoral 3x week.

Best of luck.

***** 10 MONTH UPDATE *****

I have started shedding. I'm guessing this is the normal 10-12 month shed from finasteride so I'm not too worried. I've lost some density, but I'm hopeful that it will come back. My hair still looks good so I'm just riding it out. After 4 or 5 solid months of having good hair I know this stuff is working. (Just look at my pics)

***** 1 YEAR 10 MONTH UPDATE *****

Well it has been a year since my last update so I thought I should be a nice guy and come back and report my status. It is still the same as a year ago. In the last year I've probably had 2-3 sheds. I don't really seem to lose any density, just more hair falls out all over the place. Then it slows down for a while. I'm still doing the Big 3 and haven't changed that. I am definitely maintaining and am very pleased with how my hair looks. Sometimes I miss a minoxidil application here and there and very seldom miss a finasteride dose. These have been great products for me. I just turned 30 last November so I at least feel like if I start going bald now it will be ok. (Much better than 26. :) ) I don't expect this treatment to work forever and expect to eventually be bald, but I'm holding on as long as I can. My brother and dad who both went bald in their 20s hate me for it! The only thing they say is "wow you have a lot of gray hair." (I do have some, but oh well :)) I know they're jealous. :punk:

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Minoxidil probably doesn't do THAT much on its own.

You should start minoxidil ALONG with Propecia and Nizoral.

Oh, and welcome to these forums. You'll find tons of useful information.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Goodluck with the shedding man.

Keep with the Propecia religiously, and ride out the sheds.

Not many people report failure with Propecia between the first and second years ;)

templemonk

Established Member
Reaction score
i guess the finasteride at least helped you maintained what you had... and i heard finasteride usulay kicksin around 11m- 13m mark.. so give it little more time you'll be fine

G

Actually for most people it kicks in much earlier, like 3-6 months after starting it.

shh5455, to me your hair looks thinner than it used to be 3 months ago. More scalp is visible. But your shedding sounds like a minoxidil shed, stick with it and you should get a lot of it back. Good Luck!

shh5455

Established Member
Reaction score
Yeah man, it's definitely thinner. There's no question about that. I can't say that the treatments have caused it because I was losing hair at the same rate before I started them (minoxidil shed excluded). I think that I will respond to the minoxidil because last time I used it the shedding eventually stopped. It took a while but there was a period where I wasn't losing any hair. Not sure about regrowth, but I'm just hanging on. I figure I was losing hair anyway. Might as well lose some hair while trying to grow some. :) Thanks for the posts, guys.

bigd

Reaction score
Damn, thats exactly how mine looks, just not as thin yet but probably becuase im about a year and a half behind you.

shh5455

Established Member
Reaction score
No, no side effects that I can tell. My scalp started to itch a little, but I kind of ignored it. Then when I added minoxidil I got a ton of dandruff. I've been hitting it hard with head and shoulders and nizoral and it seems to be going away now.

shh5455

Established Member
Reaction score
5 month update up

5 month update is up on the first post in the thread!

G

Great! A visible improvement from month 4 to month 5! Stick with your regimen!

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Niceeeee....Wow...see the difference between the last pic and the recent pic...really amazin...nice going dude..

dirtrider67

Established Member
Reaction score
shhh5455, congrats on the results your having. it's great that your nipping it in the butt early on so you can maintain what you have and it looks like yours will even improve. i am 39 and just started to do something about my hairloss and it's been noticable since i was 19.

can i ask how you have been applying your minoxidil? i started it and stopped because it just seemed like a pain in th *** to keep up with and i was only interested in keeping wha i have but after seeing your results, i may start it again along with proscar that i just started.

so a detailed description on how you apply the minoxidil would be greatly appreciated.

thanks and good luck

shh5455

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys!

dirtrider: Here's how I do the minoxidil.

Morning. I squeeze the dropper once and fill it up. Usually only about .75mL gets in the dropper. I dry the outside of the dropper off with a tissue. Then I start at the crown push the dropper to my scalp and kind of drag it bag and forth while "pumping" the dropper continuously. By pumping i mean i squeeze just hard enough to get about a drop out. I put about half the minoxidil on my crown and half on the thin part just behind my hairline. If there's a little left sometimes I put a drop on each temple and massage it in. Then I walk around with that tissue for about 10 mins and mop up any drops that try to run down my forehead.

Evening. One dropper full (about .75mL) I start at the crown. I part my hair with my fingers and run the dropper down the part squeezing out a little. Then I use my fingers and kind of rub it into the part. I move over about 1/4 ince and do the same thing. I repeat this until it's gone. Then I get another dropper full (about .75mL) and do the same process on the front. Then I go back and rub my fingers all through the part i just applied to, trying to make sure it's gets spread around evenly. I also put a drop on each temple and rub it in.

The morning part isn't quite as good b/c I do it after I style my hair and I don't want it to get on my hair b/c it dries kinda white. It is kind of a pain, but as you can see from my pics I was kind of desperate. I'm 28 and not ready to lose my hair, and it was going FAST!

Good luck to you.

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Delighted for you - a real improvement. Keep up the fight, you're doing great. :lol:

G

bubka said:
wow, awesome regrowth, and gone is most of that miniaturized hair, congrats man, that propecia is a god
i personally think it's due more to the minoxidil, but yeah awesome dude.

shh5455

Established Member
Reaction score
I think it's both actually. minoxidil alone didn't do this, and propecia alone didn't start doing it until 5 months in. Although that's about the time propecia should start working, but I don't think it is supposed to regrow hair.