Shedding, Thinning...... Female Pattern Baldness Or Telogen Effluvium

Andy77

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, first of all I would like to say thank you in advance for anyone who has any advice to give on my situation. I turned 40 in November and have noticed for about 2 yrs now that my hair was shedding and coming out when showering. I figured it was do to stress and didn't worry to much at that time, but now I realize I should have. I seen the dermatologist and she basically told me I am showing signs of female pattern baldness, and I should start rogaine, that there is not much else I could do. I'm devastated, I lose a quarter size amount everyday that I shower, I find hair all over the house, the kitchen, in the fridge, I don't dare offer to make food to take to any functions because I'm terrified there will be hair in it. I've tried joking about the whole situation, but lets face it, this is not a laughing matter. I'm crying as I post this. Is there anything that I can do, or take that anyone on here has tried that works? Vitamins, shampoo, I have started using nioxin, but that's it. I bought rogaine but am afraid to start using because that is a life long commitment. I take the lowest dose of thyroid, levothyroxine, and lisinopril and have asked the Dr's. if this could be contributing to the shedding and they say no, yet I keep reading where women and men say the have experienced hair loss with these medications. I have been on both for 10 years, anyone else experienced this?

Sam1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m looking for answers and possible treatments myself, hairloss is devastating.
I wouldn’t start minoxidil unless you are sure it’s Androgenetic Alopecia. Does female pattern hair loss run in your family? Some people get great results on Rogaine but it did not work for me. I had terrible serious heart palpitations and it made my hair shed non-stop - I cannot use it. It’s different for everyone so it may work for you. Try reading some on-line reviews. Thyroid meds can cause hairloss but if you’ve been on it for 10 years not sure why it would do that now? Did you change your dosage?

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, first of all I would like to say thank you in advance for anyone who has any advice to give on my situation. I turned 40 in November and have noticed for about 2 yrs now that my hair was shedding and coming out when showering. I figured it was do to stress and didn't worry to much at that time, but now I realize I should have. I seen the dermatologist and she basically told me I am showing signs of female pattern baldness, and I should start rogaine, that there is not much else I could do. I'm devastated, I lose a quarter size amount everyday that I shower, I find hair all over the house, the kitchen, in the fridge, I don't dare offer to make food to take to any functions because I'm terrified there will be hair in it. I've tried joking about the whole situation, but lets face it, this is not a laughing matter. I'm crying as I post this. Is there anything that I can do, or take that anyone on here has tried that works? Vitamins, shampoo, I have started using nioxin, but that's it. I bought rogaine but am afraid to start using because that is a life long commitment. I take the lowest dose of thyroid, levothyroxine, and lisinopril and have asked the Dr's. if this could be contributing to the shedding and they say no, yet I keep reading where women and men say the have experienced hair loss with these medications. I have been on both for 10 years, anyone else experienced this?

So, Andy77, you're forty and a female?

Pleased to meet you. I'm in the same boat, except I'm close to fifty. :eek: