Shedding So Soon; Finasteride Or Bad Timing?

Dehydrotestostewronged

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I started finasteride a week ago exactly. I took only 1/2 dose the first 4 days and then I began with 1mg thereafter... I'm starting to notice some shedding right now... last month I underwent DRASTIC shedding and thinning which prompted me to take action. Can the shedding I'm experiencing now be due to finasteride or is it still probably my natural hairloss advancing itself even more???

Also I think the sides and back are shedding hair too if that matters... I feel like the sides and back of my hair have also thinned compared to my younger days, though not bald-level thinning.

hopeforhappiness

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sides and back can mean one of the following:

Vitamin/nutrient deficient (I doubt it)

Retrograde alopecia (possible)

Finasteride telogen effluvium (also possible)

Top shedding can either be continued baldness or finasteride magic. It’s hard to tell which!! If it is continued balding it doesn’t mean fina isn’t working, it can take time! But there is always the small chance it won’t work... if you don’t want to risk that I would suggest adding to your regimen. If not you can wait it out... the odds are supposedly in your favor.

Dehydrotestostewronged

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sides and back can mean one of the following:

Vitamin/nutrient deficient (I doubt it)

Retrograde alopecia (possible)

Finasteride telogen effluvium (also possible)

Top shedding can either be continued baldness or finasteride magic. It’s hard to tell which!! If it is continued balding it doesn’t mean fina isn’t working, it can take time! But there is always the small chance it won’t work... if you don’t want to risk that I would suggest adding to your regimen. If not you can wait it out... the odds are supposedly in your favor.

Thank you for the intensive reply. New stuff to research!

I do plan on adding monoxidil in a couple months ( my lifes upended right now so it's just easier to deal with it then, plus Ive had one and will have another scalp surgery this month to remove large benign masses off the back of my head, so it seems a bad idea to introduce monoxidil to that open would)

Also I'm thinking I'll try out that 2% nizoral cream if I can find some. Still not sure if I want to mess with topical spironolactone or not. Not sure about feminizing sides with it or if I can find a reliable source for it. Yeah Im all in committed to safely trying this out for a year though. I waited too long. If I can recover ground on my vertex and regain overall thickness (one can only hope for any appreciable level of temple regeneration) and maybe then I should be much better off. I hate wearing hats all the time and I'm not convinced shaving is a viable option for me.

Last edited:

hopeforhappiness

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Retrograde Alopecia is supposedly an aggressive form of hairloss.

You can expect 0 side effects from topical spironolactone. There is science that says it gets metabolized in the scalp and doesn’t have that effect on the body.

Oral spironolactone would likely have the feminizing side effects. It also has a near garuntee of results.

Dehydrotestostewronged

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
my dads hair seems kind of overall thinner on the sides and back but hes 61 and its still all there outside of his awful norwood rating.

Is there a reliable source of topical spironolactone?