Shedding small hairs in the shower? Start of male pattern baldness?

jakethesnakedr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, I'm curious if this is anything to be concerned about. I saw a few dermatologists and they all seemed to think I wasn't balding, but I still have this sinking feeling in the back of my mind that I'm in the very very early stages of male pattern baldness. As of right now I'm between a Norwood 0 and a Norwood 1. I'm 21 years old. My hairline hasn't changed and neither has my crown, but I feel like my hair overall feels a bit thinner. I'm pretty worried that I'm a diffuse thinner.

Anyways, I've started examining the hairs that I lose when I rub my hair with a towel dry after showering, and noticed that I shed quite a few shorter hairs. That being said, 60-70% of my hair is very short, around 1.5" or so as I recently shaved quite a lot of it 3mo ago. But these hairs are slightly shorter around .6" to 1" or so... am I overreacting and is this a reason to suggest that I am in the very early stages of male pattern baldness? For what its worth, the hairs don't appear to be tapered or discolored in any way, they just seem to be short, black, pigmented, thick hairs.

The width and color of the hairs seem to be the same as my longer hairs that I shed. I read that miniaturized hairs are often tapered? Is this true? There are definitely no tapering going on, they are all the same width throughout the entire strand. My only concern is some of the hairs I'm shedding are slightly shorter than my overall head. I did get my hair thinned out to the scalp, so they could be cut hairs that were regrowing and happened to enter telogen phase, but I'm not sure. I really only notice these after I shower because I had to look pretty closely on my shower after drying my hair....

I want to get in front of this early since all I've read on here talks about how important that is if you want to keep your hair and not have thousands of regrets. Could somebody explain why I could be shedding shorter hairs? This is freaking me out.

DanzlCarry

My Regimen
Reaction score
We need photos, at least an example, to understand what exactly caused baldness

losingbattle88

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, I'm curious if this is anything to be concerned about. I saw a few dermatologists and they all seemed to think I wasn't balding, but I still have this sinking feeling in the back of my mind that I'm in the very very early stages of male pattern baldness. As of right now I'm between a Norwood 0 and a Norwood 1. I'm 21 years old. My hairline hasn't changed and neither has my crown, but I feel like my hair overall feels a bit thinner. I'm pretty worried that I'm a diffuse thinner.

Anyways, I've started examining the hairs that I lose when I rub my hair with a towel dry after showering, and noticed that I shed quite a few shorter hairs. That being said, 60-70% of my hair is very short, around 1.5" or so as I recently shaved quite a lot of it 3mo ago. But these hairs are slightly shorter around .6" to 1" or so... am I overreacting and is this a reason to suggest that I am in the very early stages of male pattern baldness? For what its worth, the hairs don't appear to be tapered or discolored in any way, they just seem to be short, black, pigmented, thick hairs.

The width and color of the hairs seem to be the same as my longer hairs that I shed. I read that miniaturized hairs are often tapered? Is this true? There are definitely no tapering going on, they are all the same width throughout the entire strand. My only concern is some of the hairs I'm shedding are slightly shorter than my overall head. I did get my hair thinned out to the scalp, so they could be cut hairs that were regrowing and happened to enter telogen phase, but I'm not sure. I really only notice these after I shower because I had to look pretty closely on my shower after drying my hair....

I want to get in front of this early since all I've read on here talks about how important that is if you want to keep your hair and not have thousands of regrets. Could somebody explain why I could be shedding shorter hairs? This is freaking me out.
Shedding has nothing to do with male pattern baldness. Absolutely nothing.

Moz5x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

You are likely overreacting. Unless you have a lot of family history of early severe balding I wouldn’t be concerned. Our hair grows in asynchronous cycles. Hair shedding is a normal part of this process which we simply don’t notice until we suddenly decide to obsess about it.

You can buy a hair catcher for the shower drain to monitor and get a sense for what the daily average is. More than likely you will notice that while that average may fluctuate over time it will usually stay within a range. If that daily average keeps increasing well into the hundreds and you start losing density on your head or notice recession then see a doctor.