Shedding... should I give up on minoxidil?

G

I've been shedding shitloads for the past week and a half or so. I've been on Kirkland minoxidil 5% for 2.5 weeks so I think it's to blame. There was over 30 hairs on my pillow this morning, pre-minoxidil I never had more than 5 hairs on my pillow. Also there's minimum of 5 hairs in my cap every time I take it off, compared to 0-5 pre-minoxidil. This sh*t scares me since there's been a huge visual decrease in my hair quality during this massive shed. My scalp is also itching and feels very dry.

H/B

Established Member
Reaction score
No, the shedding is normal and is usually a good indication you are responding. Quiting mid shed is counter productive. This too shall pass.

TAINTED-MEAT

Established Member
Reaction score
get some nizoral shampoo, it should help with the itching, then use a conditioner afterwards

CCS

Reaction score
that makes even me wonder. i tell people to stay on minoxidil, but i wonder if the people with the most itching or irritation may actually lose hair from it. try the nizoral. my results have been so non-dramatic. no significant regrowth, no side effects, no itching, no hair loss. my hair has just stayed the same for the last 2 years, even though it was thinnin fast before then. I'm just trying to get regrowth, and my whole front 1/4 is gone except for grafts.

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Dont worry...everything will go..all the shedding, dryness and flakes...stay with it..experience talking here :)

G

Thanks for all the answers. I am already on Nizoral, it doesn't seem to help the itching at all. I haven't used minoxidil for 2 days now, and my scalp feels a lot better although I still itch a bit. It really is frightening how fast my hair has detoriated during this time on minoxidil. Already thinking about shaving, it's that bad. Most of the hairs I shed seem to be all wringly and lifeless looking (some even very short, like 1 cm), but not all of them. So I guess I was bound to lose most of them anyways.

P.S. Oh yeah, on sunday I noticed that my heart rate had jumped up to about 70 bpm compared to my usual 50-60 bpm. Now that I've been off minoxidil for 2 days it has lowered back to normal. Any thoughts?