Shedding Phase Or Losing Hair Again?

Pretzel

My Regimen
Reaction score
Good day everybody.

24 yo male suffering from hair loss since 18 more or less. Not a mature hairline, since lost density in my temples and scalp front and crown area.
I started using minoxidil (Rogaine foam 5%) around one year ago, and went on Finasteride (Propecia) around six months ago.
Had a realy bad shedding phase as far as I can remember the first month I started minoxidil, and also the first month I started Finasteride (Less than the first shedding phase).
Drugs seems to have worked fine, I can see my crown more filled and also the temples hairline seems to be recovering, but since two or three weeks I'm shedding a lot of hair in the temples (both thin and thick hair). I can see some thin new hair in the temples, but not sure if they are growing back also in the rest of the front of the scalp.
This is bad since I've had good results until now. The question is: Do you think this is a normal shedding phase, will it grow back thicker as before, or am I losing hair again?

Also, if they will grow back, should I expect another shedding phase in maybe 6 months or 1 year?

Thank you.

Danny-kins

My Regimen
Reaction score
From what I understand, just be ready for these sort of shedding phases now and then. By all accounts, it's progress, as the new hairs will continue to be thicker though!

Pretzel

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey there,
here is a small update after around a month of excessive shedding, since as you know people usually complain about shedding and then disappear without updating about their condition:

Seems like things are getting better, since 3 days I can say the shedding has almost stopped (I was shedding like 40+ hair when applying minoxidil before going to bed and I saw a significant amount of hair in the pillow every morning), I shed around 12/13 hair when applying minoxidil before going to bed at the moment and I can see a lot less hair in the pillow when waking up.
Also I saw a significant amount of new hair in the temples, which I hope they will grow thicker.
I will update again this post in 2/3 weeks to tell you if the shed stopped and things are getting better or not.

Ummwhat

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had 2 bad sheds. The 3rd and 8th month. Both lasted 6ish weeks. Both times in thought I my hair was getting thinner and the finasteride and minoxidil stopped working. I am 1 year in and have had really great results. I assume I will have another shed.