Shedding on the back of head

Briandesigns

Reaction score
Hey guys,

treatment: Nizoral 4 weeks in
supplements: zinc, multi for men, omega-3, green tea extract, flax-seed 6 weeks in
hair loss pattern: diffuse thinning + receding hairline + temple loss

I started out with a ridiculous thick amount of hair. started to notice shedding at age 17, stead and slow shed until a year ago, where shed in the front has dramatically increased. shed on the crown and back is very normal. this went on for a year... and 6 weeks ago i decided to take action and started a tiny regimen of non-potent stuff... then what ive started to notice this week is that the shed in the front of my head has slowed down but the shed on the back of my head has increased... wtf, could this be caused by my regimen or does my male pattern baldness progress in stages (etc, first front, then crown, then back and repeat)???

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
everyone is different in how they lose hair. are any of the things you're using got any actual proof of growing/maintaining hair!? the only two proven treatments are minoxidil and finasteride.

Briandesigns

Reaction score
no, none of that stuff have actual proof of working. But i have too much to lose to start finasteride and minoxidil. rather pass up 99% of getting hair back to avoid 0.00000001 % chance of sexual/mental sides from finasteride and heart/face/skin sides from minoxidil.

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
so it comes down to how much you'll go to to keep your hair. if you re not wanting to try the meds then i would suggest not worrying about it too much stay healthy and balanced diet.

Breaking Bald

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

treatment: Nizoral 4 weeks in
supplements: zinc, multi for men, omega-3, green tea extract, flax-seed 6 weeks in
hair loss pattern: diffuse thinning + receding hairline + temple loss

I started out with a ridiculous thick amount of hair. started to notice shedding at age 17, stead and slow shed until a year ago, where shed in the front has dramatically increased. shed on the crown and back is very normal. this went on for a year... and 6 weeks ago i decided to take action and started a tiny regimen of non-potent stuff... then what ive started to notice this week is that the shed in the front of my head has slowed down but the shed on the back of my head has increased... wtf, could this be caused by my regimen or does my male pattern baldness progress in stages (etc, first front, then crown, then back and repeat)???

Your hair loss sounds identically to mine man. It started out slowly at the temples at age 19 and I didn't really notice it much. But this past year it has shedded a substantial amount at the crown. I am the same age as you and it f***ing sucks man, especially at our age to lose it at the crown, which is much more noticeable and aging. male pattern baldness is a strange and unpredictable thing, the pattern is different for everybody, some people recede at the front for years and years, some people thin out all over, and for some people -like ourselves- it begins at the temples and then the crown begins to catch up until eventually they both meet up.

Briandesigns

Reaction score
yes it sux fcking ***. Especially when a sizable amount of confidence came from my thick head of beautiful hair. Now i look at friends whom i grew up with that used to always have less hair than i did and notice that they now have way more... i can't help but to feel depressed, but i've been able to keep my spirit up by telling myself that this wouldn't have happened to me if i couldn't handle it and eventually prevail. I'll be delaying any dht bockers until i have tried absolutely everything else.

Breaking Bald

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm with you dude, I too had beautiful, thick glossy hair. I have always worn it in long styles and have always received compliments about my hair, it was a big part of my identity and confidence. Right now I have to keep my hair much shorter as it does not have the same density or quality that it did even a year ago. It is very depressing, people keep asking me why I keep my hair short now...and I don't have an answer for them because I do not want to admit that I am losing my hair.

I too do not want to try any DHT blockers for the same reasons as you, right now I am only on Nizoral shampoo and Amino Acids/Multivitamins, I am considering Rogaine though. Would you give it a try do you think?

Briandesigns

Reaction score
yes, i think i would give both minoxidil and finasteride a try, but just not right now. I'm willing to try alternative treatments/natural treatments with lesser side effect profiles first. My hair is still not to the point where I need to take drastic actions + there seems to have some exciting and promising new treatments currently in development set to come out in the next decade (such as histogen, aderans etc).

I have this gut feeling that minoxidil and finasteride won't be able to give me back the density i had when i was 16, at least not before i start developing sides from them first. So if i can find something that can maintain my hair until a treatment that can reverse my male pattern baldness completely or close to it (give me back the density before all this bs) i'm not gonna take the chance with those finasteride+minoxidil which can affect other aspects of my life in a negative way.

edit: definitely would try rogain before propecia though. even then, i'd probably go with RU, just more logical to me despite the lack of studies, but at least the theory doesn't sound half as bad as finasteride.

Breaking Bald

Established Member
Reaction score
Fair enough, I suppose it depends on how aggressive your hair loss is, with any luck it might hold out for at least a few years. Mine seems to have halted for the time being and I hope that it stays that way for a while.

Do you really feel positive about the potential of Histogen etc becoming available in the next 5-10 years? I have to admit that I do not know a lot about these advanced treatments, and will need to research them more.

Briandesigns

Reaction score
U are absolutely right on how it depends on how bad the situation is. Perhaps in 1.5 year time my male pattern baldness will be so bad that it will force me to start minoxidil and finasteride a lot sooner than expected.

aderans is hitting phase 3 very soon, histogen has been in phase 2 for a while but u won't get much results researching them on this board. This board is basically for finasteride, minoxidil and keto. If you want to learn about other treaments go on bald truth talk, its a lot less depressing over there even if some of them can be overly confident about particular advanced treatments effectiveness and release date.

Breaking Bald

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I think I will check out the BTT forum. It is strange that Hair Loss Talk seems to be so set on the big 3, I wonder why that is? I do find that this forum can be quite negative a lot of the time, so it will be good to join another forum and switch between the two.