Shedding now that my itch has subsided?

misterium

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been on finasteride (Propecia or 1/5th's of Proscar) since about July 2004. Shortly after I started taking it and using Nizoral, I experienced random itch spots on my scalp. Sometimes they were sharp itchy sensations.

Rarely did I ever scratch my scalp, I am afraid of 'damaging tissue', but sometimes it felt good when my hair was wet, to gently glide my comb over the itch spots, while I was styling.

I've dealt with this problem on and off over the many months on my regimen. The spot towards the back-left of my crown that itched the most, and had pinprick sensations, is now my thinnest 'spot', but it's not circular it's more 'line-like' in appearance, like a thinning 'natural part'..

Within the last few weeks I have been able to control my scalp itching/irritation, which was prevelant mostly towards the back/crown of my head.

I think that Head & Shoulders shampoo is the reason my itch has stopped. I no longer use Folligen or T/Sal because they both irritate my scalp it seems. Once in awhile I will use T/Gel.

Anyway, just recently since my itch has stopped, I've been experiencing a serious shed. I'm not sure if this is because my scalp has been 'shocked' or what.. but it's kinda messed-up.

I *think* finasteride is helping me, but I can't be sure.. I'm noticing the thinning on top is getting worse, so it may just be male pattern baldness progressing. I'd like to think the finasteride is helping though, as my hair is still pretty good looking. I'd also like to think I can recover my lost hair.

I'm not going to add minoxidil just yet, I think I will wait til the 2 year mark before doing that (I'm patient). I also may add Tricomin back into my regimen soon (I ran out).

So, do you guys think it is possible that I'm shedding because my itch has stopped, and that it should all grow back again?

It's just weird because I've been shedding like crazy lately, and I wasn't before.. and my itch is gone. I guess there is one positive aspect, no irritation.

I hope things work out.
-misterium

misterium

Reaction score
bump

(input?)