SHEDDING!!! male pattern baldness or FINASTERIDE

DHTvictim

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Its been 3 weeks since i have started taking finasteride 1mg and i am experiencing some huge shed. The shed is increasing...Today i had the BIGGEST shed of my life. I was washing my hairs in the sink and the shed was so enormous that the sink hole was almost blocked by the fallen hairs . That scared the hell out of me. I have no other side effects.

I was wondering if this was due to male pattern baldness or finasteride...I have diffuse thinning and since birth very fine hairs ..If sheds like this happen repeatedly i ll be bald in no time.

One more thing i wanna ask is that i have lost considerable amount of hair on the temples as well ..do u think adding minoxidil 2% can help(cant use 5% coz it is expensive)..

SERIOUS DHTvictim.

DHTvictim

Reaction score
Man i m thinking of discontiuing finasteride cause shedding is HUGE and if it continues like this i m gonna b bald in no time...

beastrad

Reaction score
You can't think short term, you need to be willing to ride it out, with all the ups and downs for 12 months. If you can't commit to atleast 12 then do yourself a favor and stop now.

zossima

Reaction score
I've shedd during the 1º month on propecia. then it stoped and i had much regrowth.

Now, 4 month after the first pill i'm shedding again... might be a new cycle, i'm worried but i'll stick with propecia to see what happens.

if i stop taking it these hairs will still fall out, so...

Avery

Established Member
Reaction score
i doubt finasteride causes shedding

You are wrong.

is it normal to shed for the first time after six months or is it something else?

It's normal to shed at regular intervals because of the way hairs grow: in cycles. By adding a DHT blocker or growth stimulant, follicles that will respond push out the old hair and begin producing a better hair. This means that the growth cycles of your follicles are "aligned" and shed together, so the same thing happens every so often (about every six months according to most accounts). A lot of guys who have been on finasteride or minoxidil for 3+ years report regular sheds.

blozzar

Reaction score
thanks for your reply..
although the shedding won 't stop and it is scary.. i see for the first time a shed like that in my hair... (for the first time you can see my scalp without gel or smth like that)

DHTvictim

Reaction score
So guys here is the update....as i posted in this thread just short of couple of months back that i have just started finasteride and its causing some crazy shed .....well at that point i didnt know that it was just the beginning..For the past one and a half to two months i have shed constantly big time....My hair went into the worst condition ever...I also started minoxidil since last month and ketoconazole 2% since last month...I started minoxidil for hairline basically....I have some regrowth at my temples i think...and for the last couple of days the shedding has almost come back to normal....This is a good sign right?....Can i hope for some regrowth now? coz my hairs are still very thin ....

There is something thats troubling me and that is minoxidil application...I use minoxidil liquid ....so i apply half of the recommended dose at my hairline and the other half on th front and crown....the problem is i have thinned all over and i cannot apply minoxidil all over my scalp...i wanted to ask that is minoxidil only effective in the area where it is applied or can it also effect the surrounding areas as well....Any light on this query will be greatly appreciated...

P.S plz dnt mind my english as it is not my native language..mostly i have learned it in school and by watching hollywood movies so....

DHTvictim