Shedding Healthy Looking Hair From All Over Head

kipkasper

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you shed healthy looking hair that doesn't appear to have miniaturised, then is it reasonable to assume that it will grow back? I shed alot over January and February and started propecia in March, my shedding increased for the first couple of weeks on finasteride and now seems to have stabilised. This is the heaviest shedding that i've experienced, the only place that it's noticeable is my hairline, I don't know if other people notice it because it doesn't look like wispy thinning hair, but the density has definitely reduced

The way I understand shedding is that it's part of a natural cycle, but if you're susceptible to male pattern baldness then dht will continue to damage the hair until it's non-existent or barely visible. Can you just have healthy hair fall out for good? Did the follicles die?

BaldingGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just like me. I'm almost 2 months in with finasteride 1mg + minoxidil and my hairline looks worse than before starting the treatment. I also lose all kinds of hairs, the small thin ones but also the healthy thick ones.. It really sucks and its frustrating as hell..
Also, to my knowledge follicles affected by dht don't die all of the sudden , especially if the last hair produced was a long healthy hair. It takes some time for a follicle to stop producing hair completely, and if you are on propecia it should reduce drastically the dht effect on your follicles ... So it most likely will come back. ;)

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you shed healthy looking hair that doesn't appear to have miniaturised, then is it reasonable to assume that it will grow back? I shed alot over January and February and started propecia in March, my shedding increased for the first couple of weeks on finasteride and now seems to have stabilised. This is the heaviest shedding that i've experienced, the only place that it's noticeable is my hairline, I don't know if other people notice it because it doesn't look like wispy thinning hair, but the density has definitely reduced

The way I understand shedding is that it's part of a natural cycle, but if you're susceptible to male pattern baldness then dht will continue to damage the hair until it's non-existent or barely visible. Can you just have healthy hair fall out for good? Did the follicles die?

If you have "terminal" (growing) hair in the area, even a little, you probably have a good shot. Depends on how long your hair was bald, and how fast it got that way, generally speaking. There are "agressive" balders, or people who start to bald fast, and nothing works for them. Generally speaking, the younger you start losing your hair, due to androgen alopecia, the worse it will be for you.

BaldingGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you have "terminal" (growing) hair in the area, even a little, you probably have a good shot. Depends on how long your hair was bald, and how fast it got that way, generally speaking. There are "agressive" balders, or people who start to bald fast, and nothing works for them. Generally speaking, the younger you start losing your hair, due to androgen alopecia, the worse it will be for you.

Damn...... :( I bet I have really nice balding genetics since the majority of the men in both sides of the family are bald. Btw I started my treatment as a NW1 and with almost 26y.. Hope the treatment works for me so I can at least hold it off until more effective treatments hit the market...

Ghosting10

Reaction score
Came on to post similar thing, I started propecia just over a month ago, take 1 every 2 days, my shedding has dramatically increased past couple of weeks especially think normal hair. I'm a slow receder hairline not much changed in last 5 years but it is noticeable to me and I know it's just gonna get worse so I started propecia. But I barely used to shed that much like 3-5 in a shower then only a few more throughout the day.

Last two weeks it's just increased and increased till today in the shower it was probably over 20. I do sometimes have increased shedding periods in around November time but even then it's not this bad and it's not thick hair. How long do I stick this out for? I've read so many things about propecia shedding being the norm and it's replacing weaker hairs with stronger ones, but these are seemingly strong ones falling out.

BaldingGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Came on to post similar thing, I started propecia just over a month ago, take 1 every 2 days, my shedding has dramatically increased past couple of weeks especially think normal hair. I'm a slow receder hairline not much changed in last 5 years but it is noticeable to me and I know it's just gonna get worse so I started propecia. But I barely used to shed that much like 3-5 in a shower then only a few more throughout the day.

Last two weeks it's just increased and increased till today in the shower it was probably over 20. I do sometimes have increased shedding periods in around November time but even then it's not this bad and it's not thick hair. How long do I stick this out for? I've read so many things about propecia shedding being the norm and it's replacing weaker hairs with stronger ones, but these are seemingly strong ones falling out.

Just like me. I would lose like 5-10 hairs washing my hair, now its like 20-30, some days 40-50 but i'm on minoxidil too so it can be the minoxidil working. As for propecia my Doctor said it would take up to a year to really know if it's working or not. I'm gonna stick to the treatment at least until December, unless i get bad sides from it. I will also take monthly pictures to see the progress. I would suggest you do the same..
Shedding is depressing as hell, but if i want to increase my odds of not going bald in my 20's i have to ride it out ...