Shedding hair! Pics. How bad does it look?

biger_beter

Reaction score
Alrite so recently my scalp has been itching me alot. I've been shedding alot hair than usual. My hair is thinning out. I get frustrated and kept running my hair through my hands to see if alot of hairs come out everytime i pull. Is it normal for a few hairs to come out when i pull? I guessed it wasnt helping me at all how much i played around with my hair. Thats why i decided to cut it really short (slightly longer than a buzz cut), and these are my pics. I know that my hair is pretty short, but is it normal to see that much scalp?
I'm 19 years old. Any advice / comments are appreciated.
Also, i plan on starting Nizoral 1% from tomorrow to treat the itchy scalp and dandruff. If nothing happens from there, i'll see the derm.
Thank you in advance everybody

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 298
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 315
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 276
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 278

biger_beter

Reaction score
ummmm
lol ouch =/
that didnt do me much help though
Seriously. How bad does i look? / advice / suggestions

antonio666

Reaction score
your hairline is awesome,at this moment your looks great,however i do notice a little bit of thinning towards the back,but have seen this on guys who do not have male pattern baldness,if you know for a fact that it was thicker than this before then get on meds straight away.

good look in what you decide?

biger_beter

Reaction score
CharlieBrownCocoaMan said:
Ur not going bald for sh..

i wish you were right man. I seriously do
but im shedding like crazyyyy right now
Its bareable when i shower, sleep etc. But when i try to pull, i can easily shed 3 hairs atleast each time. Thats NOT normal! :(

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
definitely noticeable in these pics, but i bet in most light people can't even tell you are thinning. i'd probably consider starting on propecia/finasteride at this point! also you might consider concealers like nanogen.

biger_beter

Reaction score
treeshrew said:
definitely noticeable in these pics, but i bet in most light people can't even tell you are thinning. i'd probably consider starting on propecia/finasteride at this point! also you might consider concealers like nanogen.

You're right man, nobody has noticed at all. It barely even shows with longer hair, i cut it short on purpose to see if I could see my scalp.
Anyways. If i waited another month before i start the meds, would it make ALOT of difference?
Prob is i cant see a derm for another month alteast...

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
nah, a month won't make much difference. good job seeing a real derm and getting a script for propecia or proscar instead of online generics. within a few months of starting i'm confident all that hair will grow back and thicken right up. you're lucky you've got no temple recession because finasteride doesn't help much there. good luck man and keep us posted!

biger_beter

Reaction score
treeshrew said:
nah, a month won't make much difference. good job seeing a real derm and getting a script for propecia or proscar instead of online generics. within a few months of starting i'm confident all that hair will grow back and thicken right up. you're lucky you've got no temple recession because finasteride doesn't help much there. good luck man and keep us posted!

Thanks alot man.
Should i get a second opinion from a derm, or get on the finasteride asap?
Thing is, im not sure if the hairfall im having is due to stress of male pattern baldness, and my last derm never did any tests =/
If it were from stress, could taking finasteride harm me more than benefit?
How do I know for sure whats causing it?
one last thing. The sideaffects from finasteride, are they permenant?
Once again thanks alot for your reply :)

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
no prob. it really looks like male pattern baldness to me, how long have you been shedding for? did it just happen within a weeks time or have you noticed it for some months? do you have any family or extended family who are bald? grandparents or uncles? that type of information could help determine if it was male pattern baldness, but it certainly looks like it to me.

be careful about getting a "diagnosis" from the derm. since your hair really isn't that bad/noticeable they might even say you don't have male pattern baldness, but trust me you don't want to wait for it to get worse.

if you really have no family history and don't think it's male pattern baldness i think there is a hair test they can perform, not sure how expensive that is or if it's covered by insurance.

if you decide it is male pattern baldness, hop on that finasteride ASAP! side effects are very, very rare and if you do get them (unlikely) they will go away if you stop the drug. i've been on propecia 2 years and had absolutely no side effects whatsoever - oh except my hair stopped falling out!

biger_beter

Reaction score
Alrite so a few months before today it was COMPLETELYYYYY normal. I started stressing alot over exams, my gf, problems with my friends, even picked up smoking. And recently (passed few weeks) its been shedding/ thinning more than ever. I dropped smoking now, and i'm doing cardio, trying to fix everything up. Nobody in the family is bald. Everyone on my mothers side has a full head of healthy hair, my dad himself and everyone on my dads side has a good head of hair except for one of his brothers. I talked to him, and he told me he did a hundred of different things to his hair, and he admited that he probably lost his hair because of the chemicals and the sh*t that he did to his hair, so im not sure.
I'll deff get that test if there is one. I'm not in denial of having male pattern baldness. I mean, i obviously hope it isnt, but if it is, i'll deff treat it.
Gives me ALOT of motivation hearing your story though. For now, I hope it wont get alot worse for the next month, untill i do somethng about it.
Is there a possibility that the meds wont work for me though?
What shampoo do you recomend i should start using for now? I've got some dandruff that itches at times, and i was thinking Nizoral??
Thank you so much for your feedback man!
Im new to all this, and I coud reallly use some heads up :)

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I personally don't use nizoral. but if you have flaky/itchy or irritated scalp then I think you definitely should. Don't use it everyday, it's pretty harsh. I'd say 3 or 4 times a week max, rotated in with your regular shampoo. But I wouldn't start using nizoral until you've decided it is male pattern baldness and it becomes one of your treatments in combo with finasteride.

I just have trouble believing you can shed hair like that from stress and smoking. Maybe if you had been in a serious car accident, or had serious surgery, that level of stress could contribute to hair loss, but I find it hard to believe normal, everyday stress would do it.

Also - the uncle that has lost hair - is it in the classic male pattern baldness norwood pattern? If it is I'm willing to bet it's male pattern baldness, not from any chemicals or whatever he did to his hair. male pattern baldness results in a pretty classic loss pattern, so I'd check that out.

Just because your immediate uncles/parents/grandparents don't exhibit hairloss doesn't mean the gene isn't somewhere in the family line.

if it is male pattern baldness and you do treat it you have a very, very good chance of regrowing and keeping your hair for years and years to come, especially since you've caught it very early. we're lucky to have finasteride, it really is a miracle drug as far as i'm concerned.

Kaze

Established Member
Reaction score
Okay before you hop on meds figure this out. Is you hair only thinning in the male pattern baldness region(not on the sides and back)? To check this take pictures of you thinning on top in bright light and compare it to the back in bright light. If its thinner on top you have male pattern baldness.

It sound like you are shedding rather than thinning though. This could be telogen effluvium.

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
You do not have Male Pattern Baldness. With your hair that short, it is perfectly normal to see your scalp. Remember that 10% of your hair is in the telogen phase at any time and a healthy scalp sheds 50-100 hairs a day. If you are still concerned that you are losing your hair, make an appointment with a hair transplant surgeon and get a miniaturization test done.