Shedding due to changing Minoxidil treatment?

RandallStephens

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm 28 and have been seeing slow but steady hairline recession for about three-four years, and thinning over the last year or two. I began Rogaine about a year ago and didn't see much of an effect. I've now been on 1.25 mg Proscar for five months and saw loss begin to slow about two months ago. I also switched to DS Labs' Spectral DNC solution and Revita Shampoo about six weeks ago, and for a month loss all but stopped. I'd see a couple hairs in my hands when shampooing, and a few when styling, but very few otherwise.

However, about two weeks ago I noticed a marked increase in shedding. These hairs look thinner than the ones I was losing previously, and it's gotten to the point where I can visibly see the loss along the hairline and temporal region after only these few weeks.

I'm seeing my dermatologist soon to discuss, but I'm curious if anyone else has had similar experiences with a delayed shed like this? Does it mean the DNC/Revita is actually working and this shed is a positive thing (though the manufacturer says shedding usually only occurs during the first two weeks)? Is this a bad reaction to those products, or due to the switch from Rogaine, or even improper application? A late shed due to the Proscar? Or just coincidental timing?

Would love to hear anyone else's thoughts or similar experiences.

Thanks all

zen68

Reaction score
Hey Randall,

I can relate as I responded the same way when I changed from Rogaine Foam 1-2X a day (for a few years) to my new regimin: (5% Rogaine Foam in the A.M.) and (15% minoxidil liquid w/ azelaic acid at night). I ended up going through almost two weeks of shedding, but kept my fingers crossed that it was a sign of it working with the consistent and increased evening dose.

After about 2 months I noticed "new" hairs filling in the thinning areas. And yes I consider myself VERY lucky that I am responding this way, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that you ride it out in hopes that you will see good results. One piece of advise I can offer is that you cut your hair short while going through this period. That is exactly what I did and it really helped me to feel better about riding it out.

Hopefully this shedding is a sign of your follicles getting stimulated to push out old hairs (at the end of the growth phase) and newer and hopefully thicker hairs will slowly replace them. In my case I now rarely see more than 3-5 hairs in my shampoo suds and close to zero on my pillow.

Good luck and try not to worry. I bet the shedding will stop soon and then it will be an opportunity for you to hopefully get some noticeable growth. Heck I even got a compliment on my hair from a lady at work the other day! I can't remember the last time I heard one - so stay positive and hang tight!

Xandroxuser

Established Member
Reaction score
zen68 said:
Hey Randall,

I can relate as I responded the same way when I changed from Rogaine Foam 1-2X a day (for a few years) to my new regimin: (5% Rogaine Foam in the A.M.) and (15% minoxidil liquid w/ azelaic acid at night). I ended up going through almost two weeks of shedding, but kept my fingers crossed that it was a sign of it working with the consistent and increased evening dose.

Zen68 Mind if I ask what 15% you are using? I thought the FDA had finished them off. Also, why not 5% with AA in the morning?

RandallStephens

Reaction score
Thanks guys, it helps to hear this isn't an uncommon reaction to a change in treatment. After the shedding period, did you see any significant regrowth? Or at least enough to negate that period of shedding. I was perfectly happy with where I was, so if I can things back to before this shed I'll feel like it was a success.

Thanks again

zen68

Reaction score
Xandroxuser said:
zen68 said:
Hey Randall,

Zen68 Mind if I ask what 15% you are using? I thought the FDA had finished them off. Also, why not 5% with AA in the morning?

I luckily stocked up on MinoxidilMax Dualgen 15% before the "shutdown" or whatever it is that happened. I think there will be other companies that will come along over time. The hard part is waiting to hear feedback from customers that they are legit before investing the $$ and effort in a product!

Oh and about the A.M. application. I use the foam because it is cosmetically better than the 5% liquid with the AA. I did in fact try it, but decided that the foam in the morning should be more than fine since I am using the 15% at night religiously.

zen68

Reaction score
RandallStephens said:
...After the shedding period, did you see any significant regrowth? Or at least enough to negate that period of shedding...

Thanks again

It has only been a few months, but in my case, yes I feel that the shed was worth it since I am seeing thinning areas starting to fill in (and not just vellus hairs either). Also there is noticeable growth happening at my hairline - but please keep in mind that this is working for me. I really hope the changeup in your minoxidil does the same for you and that the shed is a good sign as well.

Xandroxuser

Established Member
Reaction score
It has only been a few months, but in my case, yes I feel that the shed was worth it since I am seeing thinning areas starting to fill in (and not just vellus hairs either). Also there is noticeable growth happening at my hairline - but please keep in mind that this is working for me. I really hope the changeup in your minoxidil does the same for you and that the shed is a good sign as well.[/quote]

Dualgen 15 does get some dreadful reports on hair loss forums. Do keep us updated.